Callaway Apex Pro Irons Review Thread

I just got a combo set of apex 4-6 and pros 7-9. Tonight was the first time on course and surprisingly liked the pros a lot more than the apexs. I play to a 5 index and a decent ball striker but wanted a little more forgiveness in the long irons. The pros are phenomenal and couldn't be happier. My only problem is the gaping between the 6 and 7 but not what you would expect. The 7 pro is going about the same as the 6 apex. All the irons have the tour v stiff shaft. The 4 and 5 seem to be fine and going about what I expected. Has anyone had any problems with any of their clubs? I am thinking that something might be wrong with the club, I am going to contact Callaway preowned to see if they will replace it. And on another topic, I know the apexs have stronger lofts but doesn't anyone else hit the pros farther than the regular apexs?

That's really interesting Harringtons! Congrats on the iron purchase though!

I am intrigued to hear what Callaway has to say and whether the problem persists for you! I hope you keep us updated.

That's really interesting Harringtons! Congrats on the iron purchase though!

I am intrigued to hear what Callaway has to say and whether the problem persists for you! I hope you keep us updated.

I had the apex pros for the start of the season and I loved the feel of them but could not control the distance. I then got rid of them for 712mb and now I am into the 714 ap2 and I love them. Just the best of all worlds for me.

The apex pros feel so good but I found I would hit a flush shot and it would go my normal distance then hit another one flush and it would go 15yards farther. Just could not get them dialed in

Just had my best round ever an 84 and the Apex Pro on the back nine where lights out. These irons are amazing. Hitting these irons flush is the best feeling I have had on golf course in long time. The one thing I have noticed if I stay in tempo and nice easy swing the ball jumps of these clubs. When I try to step on these clubs I see a distance loss because of an off center strike. When I hit it flush the distances are the same as my G-25's. My 7 iron is 175 all day.

Nice score - I know the feeling but seem to e getting lot's of toe hits lately - 7 iron is only about 150 so I may need a few lessons soon

Welcome to the bag, friends. After being less than a foot from hole in one's on two straight par 3s, I knew these had to spend some time in the gamer bag.

I'm shocked at how solid the contact is, basically every time I swing them. Can't wait to see if they generate some better accuracy and forgiveness over the next ten rounds or so.

qezutu6a.jpg

Sig change!

I knew you would like them.

4 through pw. Wishing there was a GW but maybe I'll find one later on.
What shafts? I have a tour v 120g x flex pulled from a gap wedge i ca send your way. Maybe you can find the head later?

What shafts? I have a tour v 120g x flex pulled from a gap wedge i ca send your way. Maybe you can find the head later?

Playing the tour V stiff right now. No worries my friend, I'll find something eventually.

Playing the tour V stiff right now. No worries my friend, I'll find something eventually.

Forgot to tell you I put those together, so if the heads come off....sorry. :act-up:

You hit these exceptionally well yesterday. I'm happy to see them go to a good home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Incredible set of irons, have played them a half dozen times and am in love. Thank you to this thread!! haha. Bought a 2nd set 3-AW to replace my 5-PW I already had.

I compared these (6 Irons) today to the Apex and my Ping i20's. The Pro's won on both distance and dispersion -- by 10 meters -- and felt super sweet. I ordered a set 5-PW "Like New" from Callaway PreOwned at 20% off. I've hit the X-Forged and found it to be excellent, but the Apex Pro's were better. The fitter kept trying to steer me back to the Apex, since he felt they would be more consistent over the long run. 10 meters length and a dispersion the size of large green, the normal Apex's didn't even come close. We'll see how it works out, but I'm optimistic.

4 through pw. Wishing there was a GW but maybe I'll find one later on.

I'd thoroughly recommend getting hold of the GW and perhaps the 3 iron if that suits your game, I absolutely love mine as it's a real fairway finder off the tee.

The apex pros are just an incredible iron set up for me with the tour V shaft installed.

I feel like accuracy has been as good as I've seen in quite some time, and my par three performance is through the roof. Both of the chances I had tonight equated to being just short with a 7 iron (landed 3 feet from the hole and spun back), and then just long with a 5 iron (landed 5 feet from the hole)...

here's the kicker though. The 7 iron was a yard offline and the 5 iron was dead over the stick.

Unreal. Absolutely unreal how solid my contact has been.

I've played a lot of golf with Canadan and the 7 iron he hit was unreal. The ball flight is noticeably better as well. This only means one thing...more strokes for me!

I've been practicing on the range with these and thru the six iron, I'm having success. The five iron is baffling though -- seem to have reached my limit there. I think I'll try the straight Apex in that Iron. Great clubs with phenomenal feel. Weirdly accurate, even for a high handicapper. The six iron is nuclear with a 15-20 yard gap over the 7 iron, so I should check the loft on that club. Using impact tape, all are within the circle though, so something is perfect. I LOVE that club. Should be a able to get out within the next couple of weeks and really put these thru a test on a course.

Look at this absolutely beautiful thing. Added the AW to the bag, and cannot wait to see how effective it is in replacement of my 50* wedge.

beza8y6u.jpg

Toughest of the clubs to find! Still regret not getting my AW with my set.

The A wedge is absolute money for me from 105-115. Replaces my 50 degree Vokey. Will never go back!

Look at this absolutely beautiful thing. Added the AW to the bag, and cannot wait to see how effective it is in replacement of my 50* wedge.

beza8y6u.jpg

Can't wait till those beauties call my golf bag home!

Can't wait till those beauties call my golf bag home!

You going with these? I'm heading out today for my first round, just range and 9 holes but I need some swings to calibrate

Just got back from first range session with my Recoil 110 equipped Apex Pros. I've played forged before but never felt contact like I did with these. They feel POWERFUL, I really don't know how else to explain it. Nice and soft but man does the ball expode off the face. And the sole just plows through the turf. I brought my previous 7 and 9 to compare and was at least a half club longer. The incredible thing for me was the height/penetration combo I was seeing. Awesome. I ended my bucket with about 10 pitching wedges and the dispersion was tight tight tight.. I'm really looking forward to getting adjusted to these.

I'm considering either the Apex Pros or a combo set of these and the regular Apexes. I love the look of the Pros and they are long but I kind of would like a little more forgiveness in my long irons. I need to be able to test a 4 or 5 iron in both to compare. The typical demo 6 irons are very close for me between the Pro and the Apex. Both are about a club longer than my current setup. I really like either a CTL X or Recoil 110 F5. I've found that I like a little lighter shaft but if it is too light and not stiff enough I end up with a much more pronounced draw. I like to be able to play a base straight ball and work it either way from that. Right now I have to allow for the draw on shots that would usually call for a straight ball or a fade. I've hit the CTL X in a different head and I really like it. I'm intrigued by the Recoils after trying an Apex with the 680 F4. I was bombing that 6 iron at about a 208 average but everything was drawing a good bit. That particular shaft is much too light for my taste, but it felt great and was getting it out there a long way.

Back