Should age and home course difficulty be considered in events along with handicap?

I hope this reads as I intend and not snarky. Your boy is healthy enough for you to play golf. You are already winning from every distance.
Yep.. That was worth way more than golf . Now it is just about a old grumpy man like me . I need to realize it is a game about hitting and finding it , and hitting it again

This is where the rating/slope system falls short in my opinion.
Your 0.9 handicap is calculated from a set of tees you can play comfortably but the increase in difficulty when going from 6300 to 7300 yards is rarely represented accurately in the rating of the course. The ratings for a scratch golfer probably vary by 2 or 3 strokes (71 -> 74) or so but most scratch golfers will add many more strokes than that when you increase the length so drastically.

I get your point about it being more than 2 or 3 strokes more difficult when moving from 6300 to 7300 yards for an average golfer.

I think for scratch golfers it's different. My tee shots are of average length for a scratch golfer and if I play a course at 6300 yards I'm hitting lots of irons/hybrids off the par 4's and probably only a few drivers all day. From the 6600 yard tees at my home course I normally hit only 4 drivers and from 6990 yards I hit 7 or 8 drivers. Almost all the scratch golfers I've played with the last 30 years are very comfortable at 6700-7000 yards, it's where they've played most of their golf.

This is where the rating/slope system falls short in my opinion.
Your 0.9 handicap is calculated from a set of tees you can play comfortably but the increase in difficulty when going from 6300 to 7300 yards is rarely represented accurately in the rating of the course. The ratings for a scratch golfer probably vary by 2 or 3 strokes (71 -> 74) or so but most scratch golfers will add many more strokes than that when you increase the length so drastically.

I here ya and the system is certainly not without flaw. But I think 1000 yards can offer more stroke rating than just 2 or 3. My home track offers a 5 and 1/2 stroke difference for the 1200 yards between tees. But we also have to account that the slope is also different (my home track has a 13 point difference between those tees) so in the end the handicap calculation should be pretty similar or at least not very significantly off target.

I here ya and the system is certainly not without flaw. But I think 1000 yards can offer more stroke rating than just 2 or 3. My home track offers a 5 and 1/2 stroke difference for the 1200 yards between tees. But we also have to account that the slope is also different (my home track has a 13 point difference between those tees) so in the end the handicap calculation should be pretty similar or at least not very significantly off target.

My home course goes from a 71.6/126 slope at 6600 yards and a 73.8/133 slope at 6990 yards - 2.2 strokes plus the slope for only a 400 yard difference. After 5 years at this club I have found that I consistently score almost exactly 2 strokes higher from the back tees, slightly less than the rating/slope differential. My index would be a slightly lower if I played the back tees more often but many of my buddies don't want to play from 7000 yards.

I guess I'd look at it in a different way. Despite the young guns being longer off the tee, it seems that your handicaps are similar. So where they have a distance advantage, it appears you have an advantage in other areas. Just play those courses and enjoy yourself.

The course doesn't care how old you are. The course rating and slope should already take into account the difficulty.

So no - no special consideration.
My dad is 70 and he plays the golds. If I make it to 70 I will play the reds if I need to.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

My dad is 70 and he plays the golds. If I make it to 70 I will play the reds if I need to.

You da man bro! :bomb: I am finished playing tees longer than the white tees (at any course I might add), which are considered the men's tees at our course. There are only three par four holes that play like par fives for us seniors and the rest are very fair.

You da man bro! :bomb: I am finished playing tees longer than the white tees, which are considered the men's tees at our course. There are only three par four holes that play like par fives for us seniors and the rest are very fair. We just play the three hard holes as par fives.
The golds are there for a reason my brother :)
Here at home in tournaments, we play 49 and under from blues, 50 to 60 from white and 60 and up from golds, it works perfect

The golds are there for a reason my brother :)
Here at home in tournaments, we play 49 and under from blues, 50 to 60 from white and 60 and up from golds, it works perfect

Perfect! :bomb:

Thanks for the comments , great stuff . I think just play and have fun no matter what the scores. But I would like to see an Additon to the handicap / index . Actual driver yards of carry , I think this would be invaluable to many

I'm kind of at a loss. Driver carry had nothing to do with skill level. It should have no part of the handicap consideration.

I guess to include driver carry into the handicap system somehow would be to completely nullify the advantages of being a longer hitter.

I can't really get behind anything like that. If you have the ability and athleticism to crush the ball that should be an advantage you're allowed to hold over others.

I'm kind of at a loss. Driver carry had nothing to do with skill level. It should have no part of the handicap consideration.
I agree with you on that. But I do understand what he is saying. Lets say you are a 6 on a normal course from the white tees and are just below average on driver carry, if you went to beth page black and played the black tees on a lot of holes you could not even carry the ball to the fairway and would not be able to get anywhere near your HDCP.

As to age, gold tee's are there for seniors and they should use them.

Oh I agree to play your rounds where you want. But to complain as a scratch golfer seems silly. Regardless of age. Just short game the whippersnappers to death

Oh I agree to play your rounds where you want. But to complain as a scratch golfer seems silly. Regardless of age. Just short game the whippersnappers to death
I agree there 100 percent :)

It somewhat does .. You can be a low handicap , and play a course say ( Kiawah from the blacks) . A scrarch golfer who say carries 230 yards off the tee would never break 95 there . But , if he recognized his driver carry restrictions , he could move 2 tees up and have a fun competitive round . Possibly playing close to his handicap .. But playing to his handicap from a championships course like a Kiawah/ Pb/ whispering straits/ Cog Hill/ Kemper Lakes /Crooked Stick ( examples ) . He would struggle to no end , almost not having the capability to reach the fairways off the tee .

I agree with you on that. But I do understand what he is saying. Lets say you are a 6 on a normal course from the white tees and are just below average on driver carry, if you went to beth page black and played the black tees on a lot of holes you could not even carry the ball to the fairway and would not be able to get anywhere near your HDCP.

As to age, gold tee's are there for seniors and they should use them.

I think forced carries like that are dumb. I think they are a supremely cheap course design crutch.

But that's for a different thread.

The last tournament I played in the 'A Flight' (3-10 caps) was won by a shorter hitter (230 -240 total) on a course at 6900. This guy was a freak and could hit hybrids as accurately as most players hit their wedges and that's how he overcame his disadvantage.
The field was filled with all kinds of guys who obliterate the ball but sometimes it doesn't matter.

Golf is multi faceted ( short game vs long game and all between ) . But the big chink in most of our games is distance ... That is the great equalizer . The distance off the tee has a big bearing on what tees we ( IMHO) should be playing . If I played the back tees this year , I honestly would be a 7 or 8. I played half rounds home/ half away .. And the aways had a wide distance gap from the white to gold. As much as a 100 yard distance gap on some holes , and many eliminated the forced carries over the hazards .. Etx. I'm a accurate , but I have more control over a 150 yard approach compared tone a 220 approach .

Should age and home course difficulty be considered in events along with hand...

Should age and home course difficulty be considered in events along with hand...

It somewhat does .. You can be a low handicap , and play a course say ( Kiawah from the blacks) . A scrarch golfer who say carries 230 yards off the tee would never break 95 there . But , if he recognized his driver carry restrictions , he could move 2 tees up and have a fun competitive round . Possibly playing close to his handicap .. But playing to his handicap from a championships course like a Kiawah/ Pb/ whispering straits/ Cog Hill/ Kemper Lakes /Crooked Stick ( examples ) . He would struggle to no end , almost not having the capability to reach the fairways off the tee .

To your point. That scratch golfer with a 230 carry shouldn't be playing the tips. He should e playing from the appropriate tee box and let the rating and slope even it out. If there is a tournament that requires playing from that distance, he shouldn't enter it.

The last tournament I played in the 'A Flight' (3-10 caps) was won by a shorter hitter (230 -240 total) on a course at 6900. This guy was a freak and could hit hybrids as accurately as most players hit their wedges and that's how he overcame his disadvantage.
The field was filled with all kinds of guys who obliterate the ball but sometimes it doesn't matter.

Gary Woodland didn't win a full field event this year. But Tim Clarke did.

Pretty much polar opposites.

Maybe age, but they may not have enough participants to fill all the flights if they do that. It would be too hard and too subjective for the organizers to consider the other stuff.

I agree.

I think forced carries like that are dumb. I think they are a supremely cheap course design crutch.

But that's for a different thread.

Cheap indeed. Harbor Town is one of the shorter courses on tour but scoring averages something like 1.7 strokes over par for the PGA pros. I had a chance to play it in April and I can see why it's always voted one of the top 2 or 3 tour stops every year by the players. Proof that a great course doesn't have to be long.

Cheap indeed. Harbor Town is one of the shorter courses on tour but scoring averages something like 1.7 strokes over par for the PGA pros. I had a chance to play it in April and I can see why it's always voted one of the top 2 or 3 tour stops every year by the players. Proof that a great course doesn't have to be long.

I didn't play it. But back at the gauntlet. I drank a scotch at the top of the lighthouse with Orange Hog and Canes. It was pretty damned awesome.

Canes could tell you all about the condition of the fairways at Harbour Town. :)
They were quite nice and firm hehe.
56fafe15aabc18dbb4e87d726dc963aa.jpg

Back