Warming up on the putting green

I usually warm up the putter on practice green, not for the green speed but for the actual feel for the stroke. Not much point hitting the 1st green with a cold putter.

Doesn't bother me how many I make if i'm getting the distance right and they're solid putts, though I do have an OCD tick where i need to make at least the last 2 of 3 putts before i can stop (even if it's like 5 feet out)

All about speed and feel for me. If im comfortable over the ball on the practice green that usually means a decent putting day

Before a round starts I'm more focused on distance control from 25 feet to 5 feet. I don't mind not making them but before I tee off I set up a few 3 footers and drain them and move on.

Tempo should be the same no matte the length putt. The length of the stroke is all that should change.

Also if you only have 5-10 footer 6 times a round, the other distances are what you have most of.
This may turn into a conversation that is too long for a message board, but it depends on ones game. I would argue that 5 footers are the most common putt to have in a round for most amateurs if we're counting the first, second or third putts.

The majority of my putts will be in that 15-40 ft range, you're right, but I'm not usually putting to make those. I'd rather leave myself a short tap in.

The 5-10 footers are a much different expectation. I expect to make a majority of those in a given round. Going through that methodically on the warm up green gets me in that mind set. If I'm missing them prior to a round it feels rather deflating and I may lead to some 'oh crap' moments on the course.

I usually warm up the putter on practice green, not for the green speed but for the actual feel for the stroke. Not much point hitting the 1st green with a cold putter.
How do you the first green not knowing the speed?
This may turn into a conversation that is too long for a message board, but it depends on ones game. I would argue that 5 footers are the most common putt to have in a round for most amateurs if we're counting the first, second or third putts.

The majority of my putts will be in that 15-40 ft range, you're right, but I'm not usually putting to make those. I'd rather leave myself a short tap in.

The 5-10 footers are a much different expectation. I expect to make a majority of those in a given round. Going through that methodically on the warm up green gets me in that mind set. If I'm missing them prior to a round it feels rather deflating and I may lead to some 'oh crap' moments on the course.

You only try to make 5 to 10 foot putts? Hoes that working out for you? And why wouldn't you try to make the others.
And I think there are a few things in golf that are universal to matter the level. Tempo is one of them. If you have different tempos for different putts then you will have a difficult time being consistent

How do you the first green not knowing the speed?

I know the practice green tends to be a bit slower due to it having more shade and the 1st green gets a lot of direct sun so it firms up quicker.

You only try to make 5 to 10 foot putts? Hoes that working out for you? And why wouldn't you try to make the others.
And I think there are a few things in golf that are universal to matter the level. Tempo is one of them. If you have different tempos for different putts then you will have a difficult time being consistent
Nah, initial comment was this being my focus. I'll drop a few from 15, 25, and a couple bombs to end the warm up. I personally don't get much benefit from aimlessly dropping balls.

I only play once a week typically, so it's going well considering. I'm pissed I missed a 5 footer in tournament the other week to win the hole. But I made plenty of nerve wracking close putts to push and one to win.

May I ask why? Do you make more putts on the course if you make putts on the practice green?

I believe in the adage, "practice like you play." I honestly don't know if I make more putts because I have always made my last putt on the practice green. That routine dates back to my basketball days.

I expand that idea when practicing putting and chipping. I won't leave until I make my final chip, my final lag putt, and a set of 3-5 footers from different angles.

Then Phil should practice to make more 2 footers.

No kidding. It must be in his head. He ranks 159th in putts inside of 5 feet but is the 4th best on the PGA Tour from 5-10 feet!

No kidding. It must be in his head. He ranks 159th in putts inside of 5 feet but is the 4th best on the PGA Tour from 5-10 feet!

I bet he's right eye dominant.

I hate to admit that I rarely hit the putting green anymore. Once in a great while it seems.

When I do though, I want to make some long putts.

For me it depends if it's my home course or not. At my home course I want to go out there and see a few putts drop so I'm raring to go on the first green.

At a new or unfamiliar course I spend quite a bit of time feeling the pace for short, mid, and long putts and also hit some left to righters and right to lefters to get a feel for the break. In this case I don't really care if I sink any on the practice green or not.

Speed, feel and checking my mechanics and stance. Couldn't care less if I drained a putt or not.

I'm more than ok just getting a feel for the greens, I'm not one who thinks you can waste putts made on the practice green, but I'm always skeptical when they go in more often than not!

I just worry about speed. I feel good if I know how fast they are rolling. Sad thing is that not all greens run as good as the practice green. That makes it a little frustrating

I was warming up yesterday for my round and it occurred to me that I had not made a putt. My speed was great and I was just off by a little on either side of the hole.

This didn't bother me but I wondered if it bothered others. Do you need to make putts while warming up to feel like it was successful? Or are you ok with just getting a feel for the greens?

I need pace. If they go in, it's o.k. And boosts confidence, but pace on the line chosen is far more important to me. I wish I had a dime for every time I made everything on the putting green before a round. Usually if I can establish good pace for the chosen lines, my share will drop.

JM

I was warming up yesterday for my round and it occurred to me that I had not made a putt. My speed was great and I was just off by a little on either side of the hole.

This didn't bother me but I wondered if it bothered others. Do you need to make putts while warming up to feel like it was successful? Or are you ok with just getting a feel for the greens?

I start with short, maybe 3 to 4 foot putts just get in the flow of things and then start moving farther out from there. This is best for me. Make a bunch right off the bat and then work on getting the speed of the day down from there.

I just like to get my speed good on the putting green. Don't mind making a few but on the other hand, I don't like to waste them practicing.

I generally find that on days when I make all the putts on the practice green, that I have poor putting days ont he course.

But if I miss all the putts on the practice green, but have good speed, that I end up with better putting days on the course.

If I don't have a good warm up on the putting I usually struggle during the round.

I'm always just trying to get a feel for the greens on the practice green. I rarely am even really trying to make putts, just trying to get speed sorted and an idea of how much perceived break is actually affecting the ball at the time. Doesn't bother me a bit if I'm not making them.

My only objective when warming up on the practice green is to get the feel of the green down. Working on my speed and distance control is it. Often times I won't even putt to a hole, I will throw my headcover down on the green and take aim at that. That way I am not just trying to hole every putt. I have a tendency to be aggressive and try to hole every put on the practice green and that translates poorly to the course.

I am more concerned with speed and pace then making putts on the practice green.

For me its to get the feel for the speed of the greens. Finding the line is a different story. I always start at about the 3' length then move to 6' and finally about 9-10'. the key is the 6' length with regards to speed. it'll tell you how much of a back swing you'll take when putting during the round.

Back