The Match - Who would you like to see ?

chuck_w

Reaction score
Handicap
high
I recently finished reading the book The Match by Mark Frost.
In it, the author tells the story of the legendary impromtu match between Ben Hogan and Byron Nelson against Ken Venturi and Harvie Ward at Cypress Point in 1956 (both Hogan and Nelson were 43 at the time).
Since I am a big Ben Hogan-phile, I found the book fascinating, and it got me thinking about who might be involved in such a match if it were held today.
Tom Watson and Fred Couples against Rory McIlroy and Anthony Kim ? How do you think that would turn out ?
What Match would you arrange between experience vs. youth if you had the power to do do ?

Wouldnt the ages be closer if you took Tiger & Phil vs the youth?

Maybe so JB, but I thought 50 was the "new" 40 etc.. Also, at the time Byron Nelson had been retired from the tour a number of years.

Maybe so JB, but I thought 50 was the "new" 40 etc.. Also, at the time Byron Nelson had been retired from the tour a number of years.

makes sense to me.

I recently finished reading the book The Match by Mark Frost.
In it, the author tells the story of the legendary impromtu match between Ben Hogan and Byron Nelson against Ken Venturi and Harvie Ward at Cypress Point in 1956 (both Hogan and Nelson were 43 at the time).
Since I am a big Ben Hogan-phile, I found the book fascinating, and it got me thinking about who might be involved in such a match if it were held today.
Tom Watson and Fred Couples against Rory McIlroy and Anthony Kim ? How do you think that would turn out ?
What Match would you arrange between experience vs. youth if you had the power to do do ?

golfchannel was talking about something similar to this yesterday ... asking if there's a changing of the guard ... wondering if people would prefer to watch rory v ryo ... or tiger v phil ... etc ... for me it's a long way off before i'd be more interested in rory v ryo over tiger v phil ..

Norman/Faldo vs McIlroy/Kim would be interesting. Faldo and Norman are around the same age and kind of in the same boat.

3 years later (only found it due to Ken Venturi's passing). I just finished this book. Great story. Hogan shot a 63, Nelson a 67 with a combined best ball of 58 against the amateurs (at the time) Venturi and Ward who pretty much matched them shot for shot. It ain't about technology. Many great back stories about these 4 guys relationships as well. Highly recommended read.

It was a fantastic read for sure. Frost may be my favorite author.

I have still never read it

I think the Ouimet book was probably my favorite of his, but this one was excellent.

One aspect of the book I enjoyed was the description of Cypress Point from a course designer's perspective. And, how great designers use hazards not so much as penalties for a poor shots but as distractions to test your focus. Add to that having to beat an opponent and supporting your playing partner and the shots these guys hit during this match are all the more amazing.

I have the book sitting up in my room. I need to finally finish it.

Back