Electronics Pondering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rock, I would think that you would have to still run an app on your phone but I am by no means an expert. Still convenient as heck to just start your phone, link to your band and put the phone in your bag and play.

That's actually pretty much what i was thinking. The watch itself has all of 64mb of storage/capacity. So the watch would have to link to the phone, which it already is supposed to anyways via bluetooth. If I were designing it, which I'm not a programmer, I would initiate golf play on the phone. Probably by making sure its linked to the band. I choose the golf course, and the phone sends appropriate GPS info to my Band. Ok, here's the part that is actually exciting to me. My phone never has to turn on its own gps. In fact, my phone doesn't even have to provide continuous info to the band. The small amount of course data is already on the band for the round. The Band has a GPS in it, so it utilizes its own GPS, saving my phone's battery life. Once done, any stats plugged in on the Band (if any) sync back to the phone for stat keeping purposes, and 'deletes' the course GPS info, so as not to use up what little space there is on the device.

The Pros, my phone stayed in the bag except at the start and end of the round, and the band took care of the GPS during the actual golfing.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

~Rock

Well I dropped my phone tonight and the screen shattered, so I decided it was a good time to upgrade to the S5. Is anyone using an extended battery like the Zero Lemon on their S5? I loved it on my S4, but I dont really like the cases they offer for the S5. Anker has one but I have no experience with them. Any opinions?

Well I dropped my phone tonight and the screen shattered, so I decided it was a good time to upgrade to the S5. Is anyone using an extended battery like the Zero Lemon on their S5? I loved it on my S4, but I dont really like the cases they offer for the S5. Anker has one but I have no experience with them. Any opinions?

You know I care an external charge. Don't know about the extended batteries for this phone. Would not mind learning about one though.

You know I care an external charge. Don't know about the extended batteries for this phone. Would not mind learning about one though.

I have the external charger, but prefer the extended battery.

Electronics Pondering

Got the Wink Hub hooked up after one snafu regarding my SSID being hidden. Took the GE Link bulbs and dropped them in a couple lamps in my living room and in about 3 minutes they were linked up and running like a champ. Took another 10 minutes to set some schedules and right on time one of them kicked in at 10pm. So far so good.

Also customer service is awesome. They responded to a tweet within 2 minutes to help me resolve my issue (it clearly says on instructions to make sure your SSID isn't hidden, I just overlooked it).

Now to get a couple more bulbs, garage door controller, thermostat, co2/smoke alarms, a couple switches and an outlet or two. Over time of course. :)

Excited to see what they will add and hopeful the server issues that have haunted them are cleaned up.

whoops wrong thread, lets try here

Im allowed to pick out my prize at work for an award I won

$100 at Best Buy but cant be a giftcard

What should I have them get?

whoops wrong thread, lets try here

Im allowed to pick out my prize at work for an award I won

$100 at Best Buy but cant be a giftcard

What should I have them get?

same answer. Fancy record player

Blue tooth speaker?

Oh and I was pondering a Roku since I hate my chromecast bit might be a moot point if I snag a xbone or ps4 soon

Something I don't currently have, any recommendations?

I would say the Beats by Dre Pill ( I think they have aversion under $100)

Maybe the JBL

Oh and I was pondering a Roku since I hate my chromecast bit might be a moot point if I snag a xbone or ps4 soon

Haha I told you the chrome cast was garbage. We switched to the Amazon Fire TV and love it. So much better. We have an apple tv also and like the amazon fire better.

Haha I told you the chrome cast was garbage. We switched to the Amazon Fire TV and love it. So much better. We have an apple tv also and like the amazon fire better.

worked fine initially and now theres hella lag when casting

worked fine initially and now theres hella lag when casting

Yup. Same problems I had. They did a firmware update that broke Netflix on certain build dates and neither company wanted to take responsibility. So I got rid of it.

was just talking about it with a guy at work. I submitted a request

Pondering a Kindle Fire. Some of my textbooks are large and heavy, but there are e-reader versions available - Lord knows a Kindle Fire would be a lot easier to carry around than my 7-lb Business Law book is right now. Plus I assume I could search text strings, which would help for review and such.

I've heard some mixed opinions on the Fire, however. My wife has a normal Kindle and loves it - had a 1st gen for about 4-5 years before it started to die so I got her the current gen version for her birthday a few months ago. No problems. But people seem to have stronger feelings about the Fire. I'm conflicted...

Or I suppose any tablet on which I can put the Kindle App would work, so if not the Fire, what other tablet would you recommend? I don't want anything huge, but big enough to at least be useful to read books on. I've got a Mac, a PC laptop, and iPhones, so for now this will mostly replace physical books and I can use it on the couch when not studying instead of one of the other devices, etc. I don't need it to be able to run Photoshop or power a spacecraft in orbit. :)

Pondering a Kindle Fire. Some of my textbooks are large and heavy, but there are e-reader versions available - Lord knows a Kindle Fire would be a lot easier to carry around than my 7-lb Business Law book is right now. Plus I assume I could search text strings, which would help for review and such.

I've heard some mixed opinions on the Fire, however. My wife has a normal Kindle and loves it - had a 1st gen for about 4-5 years before it started to die so I got her the current gen version for her birthday a few months ago. No problems. But people seem to have stronger feelings about the Fire. I'm conflicted...

Or I suppose any tablet on which I can put the Kindle App would work, so if not the Fire, what other tablet would you recommend? I don't want anything huge, but big enough to at least be useful to read books on. I've got a Mac, a PC laptop, and iPhones, so for now this will mostly replace physical books and I can use it on the couch when not studying instead of one of the other devices, etc. I don't need it to be able to run Photoshop or power a spacecraft in orbit. :)

I have last years HDX 8.9 and do like it quite a bit. At the time I bought it Amazon did not have an instant video app for Android(which they do now). Since I am a big Amazon user there were some perks that I could not get by using another device. Those perks seem to be getting smaller each year. But the screen on it is gorgeous and the battery life is great too. There are some things I would change, and with a new update coming out soon that might alleviate some things.

I really don't get what segment the Echo is going after. I can do all of the same voice commands with my smartphone with "ok Google". If I wanted a bluetooth speaker, I'd get a bluetooth speaker.

I really don't get what segment the Echo is going after. I can do all of the same voice commands with my smartphone with "ok Google". If I wanted a bluetooth speaker, I'd get a bluetooth speaker.
Grandparents? Types of people that don't use smartphones? :shrug:

The only thing I can think of is putting it in the kitchen and angrily yelling grocery items at is as a search through an empty fridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back