Charleston/Savannah

woody_74

Reaction score
Handicap
My wife and I are going on a short trip to Charleston and have decided to go ahead and drive to Savanah while we are in the area. There will be no golf as the origional plans have changed. For those that have been there or live in that area what are some of the things we can't miss? I would also like to know about good places to eat. I thought about Lady and Sons, but it has mixed reviews. I will get into Charleston late Thursday spend all day Friday in Savannah, and then all day Saturday in Charleston. I know this is a short trip, but like mentioned before we had a last minuete change. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

where are you staying in Charleston ?

She Crab Soup at Poogan's Porch in Charleston.
Dinner at The Pirate's House in Savannah

Last edited:
where are you staying in Charleston ?
Have not made that reservation yet and I am still undecided. We were going to stay with friends so I hadn't thought about it. I am doing some major internet searching.

I have stayed at the Andrew Pickney Inn and the Planter's Inn, both are pretty nice and will certainly appeal to anyone wanting to experience historic Charleston. I enjoyed both. Hank's Restaurant in located very close to each and it is very good.

In Savannah we really enjoy The Shrimp Factory right on River street.

Have not made that reservation yet and I am still undecided. We were going to stay with friends so I hadn't thought about it. I am doing some major internet searching.

Ok, well if you are near mount pleasant, Isle of Palms, or Sullivans island i am going to list a few great spots.

most of these are on sullivans, all these places are within about 200 yards of each other

Poe's Tavern - GREAT burgers and Tacos, Beer selections is very good and service is usually on point.

Hometeam BBQ (right across the street from Poe's) - very good BBQ, wings are unreal, Brisket is a go to for me.

New place and has become a favorite of mine is http://www.theobstinatedaughter.com/ , and below is a Gelato place they run as well and it's pretty freaking good.

More towards Mt Pleasant is Coleman Public house, some real different takes on sandwiches , burgers and appetizers, great Craft beer selection http://www.colemanpublichouse.com/

Wild olive, fat hen are on johns island and are very good. There are lots of good places downtown depending on how much you want to spend. Virginia's on king, cypress, high cotton, poogans porch, husk, the grocery, rue de Jean, coast bar and grill, fleet landing, the east bay beirgarten. There are plenty more I just can't think of them off the top of my head. There are some more chain style restaurants on market street but those are usually packed and full of tourists. That's just for charleston, not too sure about savannah

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you are looking for a fancy or special dinner in Savannah, my wife and I went to Alligator Soul when we visited last year and really enjoyed it.

Food recommendations:

Charleston - Hanks, Coast, Amen Street Fish & Raw Bar, Poogans Porch

Savannah: Lady & Son's we enjoyed did the buffet and I'm not a buffet person. The Cotton Warehouse, Pirates place JB mentioned.

Overall the restaurants in downtown Charleston are better to me than those downtown Savannah.

Ok, well if you are near mount pleasant, Isle of Palms, or Sullivans island i am going to list a few great spots.

most of these are on sullivans, all these places are within about 200 yards of each other

Poe's Tavern - GREAT burgers and Tacos, Beer selections is very good and service is usually on point.

Hometeam BBQ (right across the street from Poe's) - very good BBQ, wings are unreal, Brisket is a go to for me.

New place and has become a favorite of mine is http://www.theobstinatedaughter.com/ , and below is a Gelato place they run as well and it's pretty freaking good.

More towards Mt Pleasant is Coleman Public house, some real different takes on sandwiches , burgers and appetizers, great Craft beer selection http://www.colemanpublichouse.com/
I did Hometeam BBQ on my last trip to Charleston. Good food and great live music. Charleston Blues club was having a meeting that night. Rotation of artists entire time I was there.

I'll suggest Virginia's on King... it's a tiny little soul food diner joint... home cooking. My wife and I went there a few years ago and the food was delicious. It's by close to the Embassy Suites in downtown Charleston.

Just outside the city are a couple more great eats, Rutledge cab company, great burgers and fries, EVO in Park Circle has some of the best Brick oven Pizza I've ever had and down the street from EVO is a place called DIG and iit's delicious, great wings, great burgers, great fried pickles lol, great everything. We go there every sunday for football, it's just awesome. Taco Boy on Huger is delicious as well.

Downtown we frequent, Hymans seafood, they've made some changes here and the food is pretty good, not great though, Hall's chophouse is really good, a $50 dollar ribeye is not something I'll eat often but I will there in a minute, can be a little stuffy but most nice places here are. Have fun and eat well.

Thanks everyone for all the recommendation. I can feel the pounds being put on as I read about these places.

I lived in Savannah for a few years, the absolute best BBQ I ever had is Wall's BBQ and I've eaten BBQ just about everywhere in the US. It's on E. York a few blocks off of Abercorn.

Just outside the city are a couple more great eats, Rutledge cab company, great burgers and fries, EVO in Park Circle has some of the best Brick oven Pizza I've ever had and down the street from EVO is a place called DIG and iit's delicious, great wings, great burgers, great fried pickles lol, great everything. We go there every sunday for football, it's just awesome. Taco Boy on Huger is delicious as well.

Downtown we frequent, Hymans seafood, they've made some changes here and the food is pretty good, not great though, Hall's chophouse is really good, a $50 dollar ribeye is not something I'll eat often but I will there in a minute, can be a little stuffy but most nice places here are. Have fun and eat well.

Hyman's is touristy as heck -- they frankly celebrate their touristy-ness.

With that said, I'd take their scallop poboy any day. It's a staple for me on a trip to downtown charleston, and I'm not afraid to tell anyone!

We loved poogans porch. We had the ribeye special and it was the best steak I have ever had. Also, Nick's bar b q downtown was really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Halls in Charleston is excellent. Get a good cut first and foremost, but if you stray from beef, get the shrimp and grits, thank me later!

Hyman's is touristy as heck -- they frankly celebrate their touristy-ness.

With that said, I'd take their scallop poboy any day. It's a staple for me on a trip to downtown charleston, and I'm not afraid to tell anyone!

Their shrimp & grits is a go to for me for lunch. Good stuff.

Been to savannah a few times in recent years. Was there in June. The pirates House used to be great but are not what they used to be. The Olde Pink House is the place to go. Outstanding food and service. Never had a bad meal there.

Another place we found in June is The Distillery, a nice little pub with good food. My wife loved their bacon goat cheese burger.

If you like to stay in B&Bs I can recommend the 1895 House.

And you have to visit Leopold's ice cream shop at least once.

And grab a bottle of Savannah bed company honey. Great stuff.

Hominy Grill - best shrimp and grits in Charleston.

I always enjoy the ghost tours, you get to hear about the shadier side of the city (granted with some embellishment) on those tours. The graveyard tour has been my favorite but the old prison tour is good too.

GolfDawg is all over this one. There is a burrito place across from Poes that is good as well. If you want to go a bit nicer go to the Boat House and go to the outside bar upstairs to see dolphin.If you go into the city the choices for food are endless. We love SNOBs.It has been around for a long time.I am not so keen on Savannah but some folks love it. It I were to go South I would just go to Hilton Head.

Hominy Grill - best shrimp and grits in Charleston.

I always enjoy the ghost tours, you get to hear about the shadier side of the city (granted with some embellishment) on those tours. The graveyard tour has been my favorite but the old prison tour is good too.

The walking tour of the churches is good too, we enjoyed that one.

Back