Classy Patrick Reed.

I'm amazed that I haven't posted on this.

It was a bad choice of words and hopefully he learns to choose his words wiser. This is hardly a defining moment for the young man.

Who said it was ok.

Quite a few relatively prominent African Americans or media types have argued that it is acceptable for a black person to use the "n" word, but not a white person. Michael Wilbon of ESPN, for one. I think there are quite a few others have taken a similar position.

While I'm not sure about the "f***ot" word used by Reed, I do know that i have heard some gay persons refer to other gay persons as "queer" (even on TV as I recall), when I think this would be considered a slur if used by someone who was not gay.

Quite a few relatively prominent African Americans or media types have argued that it is acceptable for a black person to use the "n" word but not a white person. Michael Wilbon of ESPN, for one. I think there are quite a few others have taken a similar position.

What does any of this have to do with Patrick saying what he said. It was wrong, not sure where the disconnect is.

No one. But I bet you don't say anything to anyone when you here these "offensive phrase" in public

Oh that's right, your the little man on my shoulder. You know how I respond to my friends. Might you have any other predictions you'd like to make? I'm all ears

What does any of this have to do with Patrick saying what he said. It was wrong, not sure where the disconnect is.

Sorry, I added to my post to address what I think you might have been asking -- after you posted.

Oh that's right, your the little man on my shoulder. You know how I respond to my friends. Might you have any other predictions you'd like to make? I'm all ears

Friends are easy. What about strangers on the skreets?

Friends are easy. What about strangers on the skreets?

Not that it matters but I have no issue calling anyone to task. Wrong is wrong and I don't turn a deaf ear to it because I don't know you or if you're my buddy.

I have no issue calling someone an a-hole if it's needed.

Sorry, I added to my post to address what I think you might have been asking -- after you posted.

That want what I was asking at all

Well, what were you asking? Sorry if I misunderstood.

Not that it matters but I have no issue calling anyone to task. Wrong is wrong and I don't turn a deaf ear to it because I don't know you or if you're my buddy.

I have no issue calling someone an a-hole if it's needed.

So you can call them an ahole, but they can't call you a fag? Little hypocritical.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Well, what were you asking? Sorry if I misunderstood.

In the grand scheme of things I don't have the energy to type what I was talking about.

So you can call them an ahole, but they can't call you a fag? Little hypocritical.

Not what I said at all. I said I have no problem calling someone an a-hole if ur fits. Like they are acting like one.

Not sure where this going or why it matters. If you like using racial and homophobic slurs, have at it.

It is not hypocritical, because sphincters are not a minority. (Everybody's got one.) Plus, they don't have a special interest group. Sorry, couldn't resist. :act-up:

Actually, you do have a point. It does seem somewhat hypocritical to suggest that some insults or slanders are acceptable, and others are not.

Last edited:
Not what I said at all. I said I have no problem calling someone an a-hole if ur fits. Like they are acting like one.

Not sure where this going or why it matters. If you like using racial and homophobic slurs, have at it.

Being that I'm white and my wife is black, we have been called every name imaginable, so no I'm Not big on slurs. Just wondering how you think calling me an ahole or a fag are any different?

Quite a few relatively prominent African Americans or media types have argued that it is acceptable for a black person to use the "n" word, but not a white person. Michael Wilbon of ESPN, for one. I think there are quite a few others have taken a similar position.

While I'm not sure about the "f***ot" word used by Reed, I do know that i have heard some gay persons refer to other gay persons as "queer" (even on TV as I recall), when I think this would be considered a slur if used by someone who was not gay.

1) Not as many as you think.
2) They're wrong. Here's why: The sub-culture integrates the word into the regular language in an attempt to take the power, painful power, away from the word. Unfortunately, even the genesis of the sub-culture using that word was to do do harm, imply lesser-than status among themselves. The core of those words are still tainted with horrible things and that is the measure.

Being that I'm white and my wife is black, we have been called every name imaginable, so no I'm Not big on slurs. Just wondering how you think calling me an ahole or a fag are any different?
Let's say you ass out in front of me and it makes those around you uncomfortable. And I calmly ask you to tone it down and you retort that I should mind my business. I would call you arsehole, because you were acting like one.

I would never call you a 'fag' as you say, but arsehole would work. It's situational.

The bigger issue is that it guys like you that allow it to go unchecked. Reed cursed and called himself a slur. Some have an issue with both and most have issue with the slur. That is the point of this thread. No one is being a hypocrite. The fact that this has taken this turn is laughable to me. Not sure why anyone would condon or be perceived as condoning the slur.

2) They're wrong. Here's why: The sub-culture integrates the word into the regular language in an attempt to take the power, painful power, away from the word. Unfortunately, even the genesis of the sub-culture using that word was to do do harm, imply lesser-than status among themselves. The core of those words are still tainted with horrible things and that is the measure.

Before this thread gets worse. Thank you D for your perspective.

Gawd this is a great perspective.

Applause. Next round at Maggie Hathaway is on me.

Let's say you ass out in front of me and it makes those around you uncomfortable. And I calmly ask you to tone it down and you retort that I should mind my business. I would call you arsehole, because you were acting like one.

I would never call you a 'fag' as you say, but arsehole would work. It's situational.

The bigger issue is that it guys like you that allow it to go unchecked. Reed cursed and called himself a slur. Some have an issue with both and most have issue with the slur. That is the point of this thread. No one is being a hypocrite. The fact that this has taken this turn is laughable to me. Not sure why anyone would condon or be perceived as condoning the slur.

It is laughable that you can't have an adult conversation without calling someone names. Keepin it real.

It is laughable that you can't have an adult conversation without calling someone names. Keepin it real.

Am I missing something. When did I ever call anyone a name in this thread? Please tell me because I am at a loss

We will absolutely NOT go down this path.

Am I missing something. When did I ever call anyone a name in this thread? Please tell me because I am at a loss

Hmmmm......I believe not once but twice.

Back