If you know what is wrong, why not get fixed?

FWIW, I like your action and think you have a very sound swing. We just need to figure out how to add some power.

Stay behind the DAMN BALL. LOL.

That makes it sound pretty doom and gloom, but I guess the truth is that I've seen improvement if I look at the big picture. Just have to match expectations to reality I think. I believe some of us just have great golf in us. The rest of us, maybe we have to accept what we are capable of.

I truly believe great golfers are gifted with a special talent that can't be copied by the majority. You can't make a designer purse out of a sow's ear.

Can't fix stupid & i make 3 stupid swings per round, that are generally very penalizing

Oh man, my swing disagrees with the 1st bold.

Two the second bold, thanks for the clarification about fun. I think everybody should embrace more coming to the game and I think everybody can get better at this game if they want to. In the end, it has to be about the fun however.

I like your swing too and I like what you've done with it. You've stuck with it. It's fits you and is very effective. I know your miss and also know where the ball will be when you are on. You are a playing partners dream come true. Very few misses, most of the time and a consistent ball. Most of, I've never played with you when you didn't have a smile on your face ever when I know you wanted off the course.

Can't fix stupid & i make 3 stupid swings per round, that are generally very penalizing

That's funny, because I only make three good swings per round.

That's all it takes especially when you aren't making birds

Because people think the golf swing is controlled as simply as this:

4-33-beautiful-volume-dials.jpg

But in reality, it's much more like this:

18hdk92680nbsjpg.jpg

Everything has to be fine tuned to get your desired shot, and knowing what to do and being able to physically make your body do that are not the same. I know generally what I did wrong in any given swing as the swing is occurring, but by then it's already too late to make any corrections and even if I could get some corrections in they would probably go horribly wrong mid-swing.

I think ultimately it takes the lessons/knowledge, tons/years of practice and playing, and EXPERIENCE. Good golfers often talk about "feel" in their swing but "feel" is technical. A good golfer may not see it in his mind as technical, but he is doing the same thing every time (or most of the time) because through experience he knows what he needs to make his body do (or "feel") to get the desired result. And through experience (by time/years of practicing and playing) he is able to repeat the process.

That's all it takes especially when you aren't making birds
i had been putting better so birdies have been there, but for what ever reason I just lose focus a few times a round

In order to improve I am a true believer in taking lessons. However I believe that I am a very bad student. I say this because it’s not from a lack of effort but I actually enjoy spending time at the range and putting in the work. I seem to go through the same problems time and time again. I am confident that I have chosen the correct instructors it’s just me not getting it. Maybe it can be boiled down to expectations. Maybe I think I can never be as good as I would hope to be.

In order to improve I am a true believer in taking lessons. However I believe that I am a very bad student. I say this because it’s not from a lack of effort but I actually enjoy spending time at the range and putting in the work. I seem to go through the same problems time and time again. I am confident that I have chosen the correct instructors it’s just me not getting it. Maybe it can be boiled down to expectations. Maybe I think I can never be as good as I would hope to be.

I think working on one thing may help you. Once you groove that one thing move to the next. If you are able to couple two things to work on and be effective, do that.

Well, me thinks lessons are in my future for this winter, if I am a good student that will be another matter. I've had a ton of fun golfing be it a bad round or a good round. I reviewed my scores over the past 2 years and can see that 'I can' beat every hole on my home course, just not during the same rounds. I got my first 'Eagle 3' in September and loved the high it left me with. I want more!

From the what I saw at Mission in to what I saw at the MC, you made the right choice. Your swing was good but now your game is on point.

Thanks. My swing felt like a mess then. It's still a work in progress. I'm working on posture and alignment now. I don't feel like I have any major changes to go through at the moment. It's amazing what a good teacher can do for you--I was able to take what I would call significant changes to my grip and swing last year put them into play quickly and with minimal growing pains.

Some reasons we don't "fix it" are:

bad habits are harder to break than good habits;
practice does not make perfect - it makes habits.

Knowing what is wrong and knowing how to correct it are not the same thing.

A good teacher can help identify flaws, communicate that information to the student and provide methods to ingrain the proper movement.

So I think keys to real improvement are identifying problems, developing routines to adjust for correction, trust that improvement will come, consistent effort/practice to make the adjustments permanent and follow up to make sure that progress continues.

Great topic. Lack of time is usually the excuse given but I don't think that is the real reason for most golfers. I have always wondered since I was a kid taking up the game why so many don't strive to get better by getting lessons and practicing more. Growing up I saw most of the adults only using the range for warming up. Now at my club I see many avid wealthy retired golfers hitting balls on the range but there swings haven't changed at all since I joined 5 1/2 years ago. I, for the life of me, can't figure out with all their time and money why they don't they seek out help from one of the 4 teaching pros. If you are going to play golf 100+ days a year it would only make sense to improve.

Among my 5 or 6 regular golf buddies, only 1 has sought out lessons in the last decade and he is the only one that hasn't seen his game decline. Many of the flaws I see among my buddies are relatively easy to fix as they are pre-shot. The wrong ball position, poor posture, alignment issues, and a bad grip are all too common. If nothing else we all have time use the videotape functions on our smart phones as an extra set of eyes on the range. That along with some alignment sticks would be a good start for most golfers who won't make the time to see a pro.

Great topic. Lack of time is usually the excuse given but I don't think that is the real reason for most golfers. I have always wondered since I was a kid taking up the game why so many don't strive to get better by getting lessons and practicing more. Growing up I saw most of the adults only using the range for warming up. Now at my club I see many avid wealthy retired golfers hitting balls on the range but there swings haven't changed at all since I joined 5 1/2 years ago. I, for the life of me, can't figure out with all their time and money why they don't they seek out help from one of the 4 teaching pros. If you are going to play golf 100+ days a year it would only make sense to improve.

Among my 5 or 6 regular golf buddies, only 1 has sought out lessons in the last decade and he is the only one that hasn't seen his game decline. Many of the flaws I see among my buddies are relatively easy to fix as they are pre-shot. The wrong ball position, poor posture, alignment issues, and a bad grip are all too common. If nothing else we all have time use the videotape functions on our smart phones as an extra set of eyes on the range. That along with some alignment sticks would be a good start for most golfers who won't make the time to see a pro.

I think most of the older guys are pretty much locked in to their swing at this point in their lives. I've had tons of lessons and spent hours working on the drills taught. I can go to the course/range seven days a week if I care to and work on these lessons. I do have some swing keys that I have picked up and focus on through various lessons I have received.

Maybe the old guys memories are short. Maybe the majority of us are not blessed with the skill to play this game with the top 10 percent who can shoot in the 70's regularly. I think there are times when you put fun over the hunt for par as the priority in golf. Don't get me wrong, we still desire to shoot a good round. With that said some of us enjoy the comradeship and fun over working hard for our elusive "A" game.

Been going through this and it is why I posted my swing for you to look at. I knew what what the problem was but not the root cause. I could make adjustments but none of it was addressing the root. Even after knowing what needs to be fixed it can be hard to make the changes stick.

I think most of the older guys are pretty much locked in to their swing at this point in their lives. I've had tons of lessons and spent hours working on the drills taught. I can go to the course/range seven days a week if I care to and work on these lessons. I do have some swing keys that I have picked up and focus on through various lessons I have received.

Maybe the old guys memories are short. Maybe the majority of us are not blessed with the skill to play this game with the top 10 percent who can shoot in the 70's regularly. I think there are times when you put fun over the hunt for par as the priority in golf. Don't get me wrong, we still desire to shoot a good round. With that said some of us enjoy the comradeship and fun over working hard for our elusive "A" game.

I certainly understand just going out and enjoying the game and being locked into a swing, especially for the older guys. I imagine when I'm retired I will be doing the same. I do wonder why my buddies who are mostly in their mid 40's to early 50's don't seek out any help, at least with the basics. Most of them could drop 5 strokes just by fixing their pre-shot set up on their chips and pitches inside of 30 yards.

I certainly understand just going out and enjoying the game and being locked into a swing, especially for the older guys. I imagine when I'm retired I will be doing the same. I do wonder why my buddies who are mostly in their mid 40's to early 50's don't seek out any help, at least with the basics. Most of them could drop 5 strokes just by fixing their pre-shot set up on their chips and pitches inside of 30 yards.

Yea them young bucks need to at least give lessons a chance. If nothing else you discover how a swing is suppose to function. Once you have been exposed to proper technique, you have a good foundation to work with.

Great topic Freddie! As discussed already money and time are probably the biggest issues that cause people to look for a bandaid. To go along those lines sometimes it takes multiple lessons or sessions with your instructor for what he's telling to you to "click". Happened with me earlier this year. We had talked and talked and worked and worked on getting the right inside out move for me. It took what he calls the noodle drill (one or two alignment sticks stuck in the ground at an angle behind and in front of you) for me to get it. One swing with that drill and it clicked to exactly what he'd been talking about. I was progressing in the right direction but that one drill just made all the sense in the world. Some want an immediate result and it just generally doesn't happen that way.

I think learning something new is much easier than re-learning something old and ingrained. I have developed bad habits over the years that rear their ugly head when I'm not concentrating but over-thinking can cripple a golf swing just as quickly. I need lessons and more time to practice, neither of which I have the time for right now. I also know I'm capable of hitting very good golf shots, it's what keeps me coming back. So for now I rely on the "band-aids" to get me on track when old habits creep in. What I really need is help with the mental approach so those good swings become my repeatable swing.

People are afraid to go backward in order to progress. At the rate many of us play, it might take 2 years for big fixes to take. This could be an intensely upsetting 2 years.

People are afraid to go backward in order to progress. At the rate many of us play, it might take 2 years for big fixes to take. This could be an intensely upsetting 2 years.

I think this is often true Tim. However, I think many people take the wrong approach.

I'm working on MAJOR swing changes right now. However, my pro is very clear that when I go to play golf, I should "just go play golf." That is to say, just get out there and swing the club. Do whatever it takes to enjoy yourself. If it's the "old way" so be it.

It's through repetition on the range that the new swing will over time, replace the old swing. But out on the golf course is not the place to be thinking all sorts of technical thoughts about that on which you and your pro are working.

And I think that factor may be why many people don't do lessons. Since they don't like the range, they try to implement changes on the course, which is nearly always a recipe for disaster.

Stay behind the DAMN BALL. LOL.

Hawk...you and I are going to have to play sometime and compare notes lol!

The problem for me is I know what I need to do ( I really do ) but physical limitations are more frequently popping up now. Sometimes I just can't make the move I need to, and when I know the changes I want / need to make, I just physically can't put in the time. Honestly, it is extremely frustrating. If I didn't LOVE this game, I would probably give it up. I quit playing competitive basketball in my late 30's because I knew what I wanted to do, but my body just wouldn't respond anymore. It was hard, but no where as near as hard as it would be to give up golf!

I know for me, I don't play enough to warrant lessons. I think when my kids get older and I have more free time, then I will probably do a proper fitting and take a few lessons to correct my out to in path. For now, I just try to avoid a big miss by leaving the driver in the car and play my cut fade with irons. If my putting was half way decent, I could be a single digit handicap. Not going to shoot many low scores with half a dozen 3 putts in a round.

Back