Who is/was the most underrated musician in "Rock and Roll"?

broktun

Reaction score
Handicap
In my opinion, John Paul Jones from Led Zeppelin.

Everyone talks about how great Bonham, Page, and Plant are, but never mention JPJ.

Jimmy Hall of the Wet Willie band, lead singer, monster harmonica player and great showman.

Ben Folds (solo and Ben Folds Five). Brilliant musician and songwriter that never achieved the commercial success that he / they deserved.

Last edited:
Nick Drake. Well maybe not underrated but he died in his 20's.
and Dave Mustaine or Megadeth in general. Megadeth was always in the shadows of Metallica but IMO, musicians in Megadeth were far more skilled than any Metallica members.

In my opinion, John Paul Jones from Led Zeppelin.

Everyone talks about how great Bonham, Page, and Plant are, but never mention JPJ.

I don't disagree about JPJ being in the shadow of the others, but I have a hard time considering anything Led Zeppelin did as being underrated. Because they were awesome.

and Dave Mustaine or Megadeth in general. Megadeth was always in the shadows of Metallica but IMO, musicians in Megadeth were far more skilled than any Metallica members.

Mustaine is the greatest metal guitarist of all time. The musicians in Megadeath were always more technically talented than Metallica. But Metallica has done one thing better than Megadeth ever did. Metallica makes music people want to listen to.

My vote in this discussion, Thin Lizzy.

Adrian Smith from Iron Maiden. His solos are clean!

Adrian Smith from Iron Maiden. His solos are clean!

We should drink in a bar and talk music. Because it will be fun. I have been in many a heated discussion because I believe that Iron Maiden is one of the most overrated bands of all time.

We should drink in a bar and talk music. Because it will be fun. I have been in many a heated discussion because I believe that Iron Maiden is one of the most overrated bands of all time.

Oh no you didn't! Hahaha I love Iron Maiden. They're underrate because they never fell under the "being popular" catagory. They never marketed themselves to be a "famous" band.

Oh no you didn't! Hahaha I love Iron Maiden. They're underrate because they never fell under the "being popular" catagory. They never marketed themselves to be a "famous" band.

hahahaha. I mean no disrespect. hahahaha.

I am supposed to love Maiden because I grew up playing bass, love heavy metal, and classic rock. But everytime I have tried to listen to Maiden, not just the popular stuff, I just feeling like it all bleeds together.

hahahaha. I mean no disrespect. hahahaha.

I am supposed to love Maiden because I grew up playing bass, love heavy metal, and classic rock. But everytime I have tried to listen to Maiden, not just the popular stuff, I just feeling like it all bleeds together.

Non taken my friend. I grew up playing guitar/bass too and love metal/classic rock as well. Not going to lie though, I don't care for their new stuff because I don't think they have evolved or tried to evolve. But I guess if people love them since the 80's, why change?

Cody Canada of his former band Cross Canadian Ragweed and now The Departed is a great musician, songwriter that can really rock it out or just mellow out in ballad.

Non taken my friend. I grew up playing guitar/bass too and love metal/classic rock as well. Not going to lie though, I don't care for their new stuff because I don't think they have evolved or tried to evolve. But I guess if people love them since the 80's, why change?

I never deny technical ability when it's there. Maiden is technically really damned good. I always come back to the idea that people have to want to listen to it. Like Blink-182. Really average muscians (except for Travis Barker). But man, those songs are catchy as hell.

I never deny technical ability when it's there. Maiden is technically really damned good. I always come back to the idea that people have to want to listen to it. Like Blink-182. Really average muscians (except for Travis Barker). But man, those songs are catchy as hell.

I'm getting you a Eddie head cover! Hahaha
KGrHqVHJ0E+Owq0j9BQMOvSf8g60_57-666x1024.jpg

I'm getting you a Eddie head cover! Hahaha

hahaha. Nothing says "METAL!" like novelty headcovers.

That when when I go double-bogey-double I can say "6,6,6 the number of the beast!" Like I don't already.

hahaha. Nothing says "METAL!" like novelty headcovers.

That when when I go double-bogey-double I can say "6,6,6 the number of the beast!" Like I don't already.

hahahahaha
You gotta love Maiden. Half of those guys are golf fanatics as well.

Alex Lifeson of Rush. Geddy Lee and the professor, Neil Peart, get all the accolades ( and they deserve them ), but Lifeson is a supremely talented musician. One other guy who is a really good guitar player, even though I'm not a fan of the band, is Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac.

Here are another good ones: Captain Beefheart and Thelonious Monk

Alex Lifeson of Rush. Geddy Lee and the professor, Neil Peart, get all the accolades ( and they deserve them ), but Lifeson is a supremely talented musician. One other guy who is a really good guitar player, even though I'm not a fan of the band, is Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac.

Lindsey is fantastic for a guy who never had a lesson or reads music.

How about Tommy Shaw or JY Young of Styx, still performing to sold out crowds and many have never seen them in a live performance.

Underrated by whom? General public or by musicians? There's a big difference. For example, musicians recognize bands like Deep Purple and Yes but the public ignores them. Accordingly, I'll try to split the baby and consider underrated rock n' roll musicians that might not show up in a Rolling Stone "best" list:

1. Stephen Morris, drummer for New Order.
2. Jeff Porcaro, drummer for Toto, session drummer for McCartney, Clapton, Michael Jackson and many others.
3. John Taylor, bassist for Duran Duran.
4. Matt Cameron, drummer for Soundgarden, Pearl Jam.
5. Danny Carey, drummer for Tool. (Kind of a cheat because drummers know he's a god.)
6. Lyndsey Buckingham, guitarist for Fleetwood Mac, solo.
7. Mark Knopfler, guitarist for Dire Straits, solo.

Underrated by whom? General public or by musicians? There's a big difference. For example, musicians recognize bands like Deep Purple and Yes but the public ignores them. Accordingly, I'll try to split the baby and consider underrated rock n' roll musicians that might not show up in a Rolling Stone "best" list:

1. Stephen Morris, drummer for New Order.
2. Jeff Porcaro, drummer for Toto, session drummer for McCartney, Clapton, Michael Jackson and many others.
3. John Taylor, bassist for Duran Duran.
4. Matt Cameron, drummer for Soundgarden, Pearl Jam.
5. Danny Carey, drummer for Tool. (Kind of a cheat because drummers know he's a god.)
6. Lyndsey Buckingham, guitarist for Fleetwood Mac, solo.
7. Mark Knopfler, guitarist for Dire Straits, solo.

There seems to be a pattern with your list hehe.

Here are another good ones: Captain Beefheart and Thelonious Monk

Sometimes I wonder if tom waits stole his act from Captain Beefheart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There seems to be a pattern with your list hehe.

I'm guessing either (1) lots of drummers; or (2) lots of 80's music.

For whatever reason, I self-identify as a drummer even though I'm a far better guitarist than drummer. And I'm a mediocre guitarist on a good day.

Back