Strange "discovery" at the range tonight...

China Cat>Rider

Dazed & Cornfused
Reaction score
So I went to the range after work to feel out the new driver. I was having inconsistent success. My main problem is finding the right height to tee it up. I have been using a 3W off the tee for awhile so am used to teeing it really low. Have been having a hard time adjusting to teeing it so high. Anyway I'm down to 2 balls but am out of tees since I tend to break them. My buddy tosses me one of those white rubber tees that they use on the fake grass mats. I proceeded to hit the 2 longest, highest, straightest drives in my life. I swear both were a good 50 yds further then I normally hit off the tee.

Think it was some odd fluke? We both couldn't believe it...

So I went to the range after work to feel out the new driver. I was having inconsistent success. My main problem is finding the right height to tee it up. I have been using a 3W off the tee for awhile so am used to teeing it really low. Have been having a hard time adjusting to teeing it so high. Anyway I'm down to 2 balls but am out of tees since I tend to break them. My buddy tosses me one of those white rubber tees that they use on the fake grass mats. I proceeded to hit the 2 longest, highest, straightest drives in my life. I swear both were a good 50 yds further then I normally hit off the tee.

Was the height any different?

I would say it was about the same height that I had been trying the previous 50 balls.

Wow tough to say. Maybe you were relaxed bc you didn't put any thought into your shot?

I tee my driver MUCH lower than most people because of my high launch angles. That said, I loose a lot of distance when I follow the "top edge of the club" rule.
I think Hawk hit it on the head. As soon as you stop worrying about the swing (because you were using a crappy tee) things clicked.

well this is the first 460cc driver I have had. everyone always say to have half the ball above the top of the driver which apparently doesn't work for me. It could very well be that I was finally relaxed and just gripped it and ripped it. Still...seems very strange to me. I am actually going to use the rubber tee on the first hole tomorrow and see what happens...haha.

Hey China,

I was going to say make sure you have that tee with you on your next round. Good luck and just swing through it. Funny, when the mind is free the body knows what to do.

Hmm.. that is pretty odd. Good luck gettin some rubber tees to use on the course :p

lol...yeah golf galaxy doesn't seem to have any rubber tees on their website. I will make sure I report back tomorrow night to give a report on what happens. Im sure I will get major heckling on the first tee...

I wanted to update this. We played 2 rounds this weekend and I used the driving range tee on most of the holes. Overall I was much more solid off the tees than ever before. And the other guys in our group tried it a few times and they all had, by far, the best drives of the weekend using the range tee. One of the guys struggles with a bad slice and it actually corrected his to the point he was hitting it dead straight every time. The other guy had possibly his longest driver ever.

So think Im crazy but for some reason I think i found a magic tee...

This is weird... I might have to try getting one of these during my next stop at the local golf store. Hehe, anything to help my game is a +!

China, I may have to try this. This may sound dumb, but did you lose any of the tees at all?

I only have one of them...didnt lose it and since its rubber it will basically last forever. It was rather funny...the other guys were in total denial until after my 3rd or 4th tee shot. Then my buddy used it the rest of the round and was deep in the fairway every time. Its beyond weird. It may have to do with the fact its the perfect height. I bought some of those "preset" height tees trying to mimic the rubber range tee but none of them are the exact height as the rubber one. I am going to continue to experiment with it...

Yeah definitely keep us updated. I'm going to see if maybe I can find the same success before my driver ends up at the bottom of a lake with a brick tied around it.

I kind of had the same thing happen but for me it was straighter drives not so much longer when using the rubber range tee. I picked up a XLT Brush Tee before my last round and hit 11/14 fairways, my best ever. Probably has nothing to do with the tee but hey, whatever works right.

Or it could be the Brush T is always at the same height, which is the right height for me but I'll be using it for a while that's for sure.

Re: Strange "discovery" at the range tonight...

Brush tees ftw! Thanks1974

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk

I kind of had the same thing happen but for me it was straighter drives not so much longer when using the rubber range tee. I picked up a XLT Brush Tee before my last round and hit 11/14 fairways, my best ever. Probably has nothing to do with the tee but hey, whatever works right.

Or it could be the Brush T is always at the same height, which is the right height for me but I'll be using it for a while that's for sure.

Oh I totally think it has to do with being the consistent perfect height that I can't seem to obtain with regular tees. Its probably 90% mental. also it might be in combination with the new driver I am using. Right driver+right tee height=better drives.

Back