Nebgolfer's Weight Loss Journal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goodluck man! I too have struggled my whole life with my weight. I'm at 309 now a days know how u feel! Hopefully ur in the biggest Loser competition on here as well? Good old fashion weight loss competition will do us both good!

Goodluck man! I too have struggled my whole life with my weight. I'm at 309 now a days know how u feel! Hopefully ur in the biggest Loser competition on here as well? Good old fashion weight loss competition will do us both good!

I tried the biggest loser last year and failed, and opted to stay out of it this year. I don't know why, but I feel like it has to be weight loss for me, not for some contest for it to really stick. I'm not looking to lose a bunch of weight in a month or 2, I'm looking for a change in my lifestyle and the contest just doesn't fit that goal.

Thanks for the support though, I really do appreciate it.

Good luck! It sounds like you have the right frame of mind to do this!

Week 1 weight: 314 Starting weight: 316.8

1 week down, a lifetime to go. The first week seemed like one of the longest of my life, and there were many challenges adapting to my new plan, primarily where my diet is concerned. Myfitnesspal has me a lot more focused on what I eat, and I can tell that what I was used to was well beyond what I should have been eating. I struggle keeping my calories under my goal, and right now sometimes that means a pretty meager dinner. I went to the gym 4 times this past week, and it's becoming to feel more routine, with 2 days of cardio (60 minutes on a treadmill) and 2 days of lifting. I forgot how sore lifting makes me, but a friend introduced me to foam rolling. However, just like my introduction to gold bond spray at the Morgan Cup, my friend failed to mention the intense pain before the relief came. (Thanks again for that, Doug)

My primary focus over the next few weeks is going to be working on my diet. It's been a struggle staying under my calorie goals, and most days it takes the add back from the gym to keep me under. On days where I don't go to the gym, or if bedtime goes late and I don't make it to the gym then I'll be over my goal. If I could keep the calories under the goal without factoring in the gym credit, I think that might be better.

Thanks for reading. Until next week...

Keep it up Ryan!!!

Good stuff Ryan. You have a solid sustainable plan. Keep it up!!

Ryan, I commend you on committing to a healthier lifestyle. It's something I'm realizing pretty quickly that I need to do myself. I don't have much advice for you as I am obviously a fatty-pants, but have you read this thread: http://www.thpgolf.com/forum/showthread.php?53173-2014-Fitness-amp-Nutrition-Thread-With-Coach-Beard

I spent a few days reading every post in there. From nutrition tips, to exercise tips, to footwear advice for weight lifting, to rehabbing nagging injuries. There is a lot of "gold" in there and a few guys not only dropped a ton of weight, but did it like you are trying (changing a lifestyle).

Week 2 weight: 312.8 Starting weight: 316.8

Another week down, and this was a lot tougher than last week with Thanksgiving. The workouts are getting more routine, and I'm seeing some improvements. When I started I could barely jog 30 seconds at a time and Thursday I got up to 6 minutes. A far cry from the 45 minutes I was at in February, but it's progress. With Thanksgiving done, I'm over one big hurdle on my weight loss journey, but I've got a tough month ahead with Christmas parties and my wife baking all sorts of deliciously unhealthy stuff for Christmas. I'm hoping my wife and all of you can help keep me strong to resist all of the temptations to continue to be successful with my plan.

Thanksgiving makes it tough on all of us. What I do is eat right 6 days a week and allow myself a "bad" eat what I want day. Keep up the good work. It is tough, but you can do this!

Sometimes you gotta just enjoy life man. Back at it next week bro!!

Great job so far. Stay at it.

Keep up the good work, Ryan. It's a tough time of year, but even with parties and all of that, if you keep at it on the days that you don't have parties or whatnot, you'll keep seeing results. One piece of advice I was given that was helpful was, especially this time of year, to go with the "don't eat anything you don't bring in to work" rule. Bring lunches and snacks, don't eat out, and stay away from the millions of baked goods that seem to show up at work this time of year.

Keep it up Ryan. That's huge progress on the treadmill.

Hang in there Ryan. Keep up the good work.

How did u fair for Thanksgiving? Whatd u eat? I was bad.... too much pie

How did u fair for Thanksgiving? Whatd u eat? I was bad.... too much pie

Didn't do great, but I did manage a good workout that day, so that made up for some of the indiscretions.

Just found this thread - Good luck Ryan. I have also struggled with being overweight most of my life, so I can definitely feel where you're coming from. One thing you got going for you is you know you did it before, so you know it can be done again.

One thing I'm starting to do (I haven't really got into a schedule for this yet) is some type of "maximum effort" training, usually referred to as "Tabata" (& sometimes High Intensity Interval Training or HIIT, although many people argue over the details & make a bunch of distinctions between various forms).

I'm really excited about this because there is a lot of solid research that shows that doing short intervals (originally 20 seconds max effort = sprinting all out; & 10 seconds of minimal effort/rest; for 6-8 cycles) does a better job of creating fat loss & getting people aerobically healthier than a bunch of long aerobic workouts. So if I can put up with a few minutes of pain, I'm hoping I'll see a bigger difference sooner than pounding pavement or treadmills for hours.

I don't know if you have a bicycle, but I do, and I just bought an indoor trainer & plan to use this as one of my main Tabata workouts. I did a bit of research & these four came up as solid values:

The 1up USA CPR A-2000: (this is what I bought): http://www.roadbikereview.com/reviews/1upusa-cpr-a2000-pro-review; http://www.1upusa.com/product-trainer.html

The Kurt Kinetic Road Machine: http://cycling-review.com/accessories/bicycle-trainer/kurt-kinetic-road-trainer/

The Cascade Fluid Pro: http://www.cascadebiketrainers.com/product_detail/1/cascade-fluidpro-bike-trainer

The Cycleops Fluid 2: http://cycling-review.com/accessories/bicycle-trainer/cycleops-fluid-2-bicycle-trainer/

Anyhow...good luck with everything; I'll be following along & if you have any questions or if I can help in any way, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Week 3 weight: 315.4 Starting weight: 316.8

ugh... what a bad week for weight loss. I missed 2 gym sessions because of Thanksgiving/being lazy, and didn't do great on my diet either, so those two things compounded into a gain this week. The part that surprises me the most is how easy it is to put on weight when I'm not paying attention to it; bust my butt all week to drop 2 pounds, take half a week off and gain 3... what kind of crap is that? Still want to hit 300 by the end of the year, but that means I've got to right the ship and step up the intensity. The good news is I continue to see improvements in the gym. Up to 7 minutes jogging at a time before I have to walk, so even while the weight isn't dropping like I want, I am getting healthier, and that is also important.

Good for you for taking control of your health. I dropped 75 pounds back in 2012 and went from a size 38 to a 30. It was the best thing I've ever done for myself. After marriage and having our first child, my wife and I both just sorta let ourselves go. I was eating the worst food possible and had become very sedentary. I was constantly tired and moody. One day I decided enough was enough. Dropping the bad eating habits was very hard at first. It was a gradual process. We lucked out and got a free eliptical trainer from my in-laws who were remodeling their house at the time. I lost 25 pounds using that before taking up jogging. At my peak I was running 6 miles a day, 6 days a week. That's how I lost the bulk of the weight. At first, my target weight was 175 but I was feeling so good that I kept going and landed at 160. I still jog 3-4 days a week but I've cut back to 4 miles because I don't want to totally destroy my knees.

It takes so much discipline to get and stay healthy. Keep focused, stick to your plan, and you'll see results soon.

Spurred on by the gain this week, I decided to push my self extra hard today at the gym. After a 2 minute walking warm up, I jogged for 15 minutes straight, which is officially the first time I've run a full mile since February. It's progress like this that reminds me that my journey is about getting in better shape/being healthier, not all about the weight (or the bass..., I'll take some treble!)

Spurred on by the gain this week, I decided to push my self extra hard today at the gym. After a 2 minute walking warm up, I jogged for 15 minutes straight, which is officially the first time I've run a full mile since February. It's progress like this that reminds me that my journey is about getting in better shape/being healthier, not all about the weight (or the bass..., I'll take some treble!)

Congrats...progress is always a good thing. Start working on mine tomorrow.

Way to get back at it Ryan. Small setbacks will happen but as you tackled it head on and upped the workout. Good for you.

How are things coming along buddy?

How are things coming along buddy?

Honest answer is that they sucked for awhile, but are back on track. I really struggled the closer I got to Christmas, and made some choices that I regret making. Giving in to sweets mixed with not being able to get to the gym because of crazy schedules derailed any hope I had of losing, but I was able to maintain my weight, which I suppose is a small victory this time of year. I am switching things up and instead of going to the gym around my kids' bedtime, I'm going right after work which is making things a little easier to manage. My new routine is Monday: Legs (hate!), Tuesday: Treadmill (really sucks after Monday), Wednesday: Arms/Core, Thursday: Treadmill, Friday/Saturday: Rest, Sunday: Volleyball. I'm two weeks into the new schedule and it's going alright; weight isn't coming off as fast as I'd like, but I'm feeling healthier in general, and I know that's the important thing. Thank you so much for asking, Ricky. To know others are thinking about me makes me even more encouraged.

Honest answer is that they sucked for awhile, but are back on track. I really struggled the closer I got to Christmas, and made some choices that I regret making. Giving in to sweets mixed with not being able to get to the gym because of crazy schedules derailed any hope I had of losing, but I was able to maintain my weight, which I suppose is a small victory this time of year. I am switching things up and instead of going to the gym around my kids' bedtime, I'm going right after work which is making things a little easier to manage. My new routine is Monday: Legs (hate!), Tuesday: Treadmill (really sucks after Monday), Wednesday: Arms/Core, Thursday: Treadmill, Friday/Saturday: Rest, Sunday: Volleyball. I'm two weeks into the new schedule and it's going alright; weight isn't coming off as fast as I'd like, but I'm feeling healthier in general, and I know that's the important thing. Thank you so much for asking, Ricky. To know others are thinking about me makes me even more encouraged.

It's why we are here buddy. My weight loss and struggles are well documented. If there anything I can do to help, even if it's just a word or two, I am here. Also, if I may, you may want to start out with just cardio and work your way up to weight training. Alot of people fail (not saying you will) because they go from doing nothing to getting all gung ho and doing as much as they can and they get worn out. Best thing anyone ever told me was that this is not just a diet or going to the gym. It's about making a lifestyle change. Creating good habits. Changing your life for the better. There is no magic elixir or diet that will make you lose weight and keep it off. Losing the weight is the easy part, changing your lifestyle and setting your self up for success is the hard part. I know you can do it buddy. We are all behind you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back