Favorite winemakers and wines

ek49

Reaction score
Handicap
I've seen a lot of breadth and depth from THP folks about wine preferences, winemakers, etc.

Who are some of your favorite winemakers, and what are some of your favorite special bottles (once a month) to drink?

How much will you spend on a nice bottle of wine, and where do you do most of your fine wine shopping?

I saw Robert Foley mentioned. He, too, is one of my favorites. I started with Pride Cabernet Sauvignon, and quickly branched out to many of his other projects. My favorite is Hourglass, but my collection also contains a number of bottles from Switchback Ridge and Robert Foley Claret.

The list is endless really.

Robert Foley is my absolute favorite. His line, Pride, school House, paloma, they are all great.

Kosta Browne
Radio Coteau
Saxum

Heck I could go on for hours.

How could anyone choose just one?

To be honest I really enjoy a nice glass of wine but have lately been experimenting a few of the lesser priced wines and have been absolutely shocked at the quality.

I would highly recommend Rebel Wine Co. "The Show"

I'm absolutely in love with their Cab and the price as well. It sells for around the $20.00 range out here in Socal and I can occasionally find it for $15.00.

JB I'm curious if your area of FL has the same problems I've noticed in Miami. I travel to Miami often for work and have hit up several wine shops looking to purchase wine to find the prices have a high premium compared to what we see in California. While I understand being in California has its benefits with tons of wine being made locally I have just been shocked with the prices out your way. I've seen bottles that sell here for 8-10.00 in a grocery store selling out there for 20-30.00. Miami does have a wonderful selection of south american wines however which is always fun to try out.

JB I'm curious if your area of FL has the same problems I've noticed in Miami. I travel to Miami often for work and have hit up several wine shops looking to purchase wine to find the prices have a high premium compared to what we see in California. While I understand being in California has its benefits with tons of wine being made locally I have just been shocked with the prices out your way. I've seen bottles that sell here for 8-10.00 in a grocery store selling out there for 20-30.00. Miami does have a wonderful selection of south american wines however which is always fun to try out.

Most states will pay a premium for wine compared to CA, but I have found FL to be cheaper than the other places I have lived. Most notably was CT where the prices were almost 20% higher on every bottle I purchased.

Local retail is ok for picking up the occasional bottle, but for the bottles you know and love, auction shopping is a good option. My favorite website is http://www.wine-searcher.com. I can scan for a particular bottle, particular vintage from a vast number of retailers throughout the country to find the absolute best price.

I have grown quite fond of Chilean wine, particularly those from the Rapel Valley and Maipo Valley. I particularly enjoy Almaviva and Lapostolle.

I have grown quite fond of Chilean wine, particularly those from the Rapel Valley and Maipo Valley. I particularly enjoy Almaviva and Lapostolle.

Excellent wines, and still one of the best values in the world today. I have not drunk a bad bottle of Lapostolle.
I'm a big fan of Don Melchor and Montes Alpha M cabs. For the quality of these great reds, the price is terrific!

How is it that Claire hasn't posted in this thread yet?!?!

When my Wife and I visited Napa, 3 wineries stood out to us:

Arrowood
Sojourn Cellars
Neal Family Vineyards.

Elyse was pretty tasty too.

You all need to drink lots & lots of Yellowtail. My company makes the separator sheets for their pallets of wine bottles & the more you guys drink the more we sell. :D

Stock up on Budweiser, Redstripe & Modelo beer as well:clap: I don't like any of them but they pay my bills.

I buy wine but never drink it, we buy it based on whether or not it's a cool looking bottle or label.

I belong to Sebastiani's Cherry Block wine club so I drink a lot of Foley family wines. A 99 Ridge Monte Bello was what hooked me on wine.

Some of my favorites are:
Grand Reve
Long Shadows
CLIO
St. Clement
Ridge
Elderton

I recently bought a few Robert Foley Merlots and look forward to opening one soon.

I belong to Sebastiani's Cherry Block wine club so I drink a lot of Foley family wines. A 99 Ridge Monte Bello was what hooked me on wine.

Grand Reve
Long Shadows
CLIO
St. Clement
Ridge
Elderton

I recently bought a few Robert Foley Merlots and look forward to opening one soon.

If you like those (Paloma?) you will love Pride Mountain and definitely the Foley Claret.

I tried a Greg Norman merlot a few years ago and loved it. I have yet to find a bottle in the stores but I keep looking.

Thanks JB

Tough to choose, but I´d go with:

Amarone, Masi or Tommasi (Or whatever as long as its Amarone)
SuperTuscan, Tignanello by Antinori (for really special occasions)

Had some nice Chilean wines this summer as well, nothing fancy, and they worked nice with grilled meats.

How much would I spend? Hmmm 100 US is probably my limit, usually probably around 50 US for a Amarone.

How much does Amarone set you back in the USA(I know it differs a lot since the most expensive ones probably cost in excess of 1000 US)?

My current go to wines are the Rhone Valley '07s. I agree with the above post in regards to Chilean and Argentinean wines with superb taste and value.

Late tonight we will be opening a couple bottles of Silver Oak Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon (2002) to share with friends. They are very good bottles. We are celebrating the purchase of a new home.

Cherry Block Wine Club!!! I bought Cherry Block many years ago and loved it. Have not found it retail since the 90's. Is it available or just the name of the club???

Grand Reve
Long Shadows
CLIO
St. Clement
Ridge
Elderton

Late tonight we will be opening a couple bottles of Silver Oak Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon (2002) to share with friends. They are very good bottles. We are celebrating the purchase of a new home.

Very nice choice of wine and congrats on the new house.

Very nice choice of wine and congrats on the new house.

Thanks, Fairway! As always, it was very tasty and, all together, a fun celebration. Now, it back to our "every-day" wines... until we find another excuse to open one of the good bottles (we tend to make such excuses quite often).

I have a wine club subscription to Silverado in Napa Valley. I like their wines. 2007 Sangiovese is inexpensive and tasty. Their older vintage cabs are good too.

Love the Merlot's. Nothing beats a nice pasta meal with a few glasses of merlot. No particular maker as long as its not too dry.

I work for a distributor in Indiana surprised no mention of Washington state wines. Columbia Crest is really putting out some great juice from the 5.99 2 vines to the Indian Wells tier. Also speaking of prices I think Indiana is pretty reasonably priced for all wines being that it is not a control state.

Back