putting aids- need a level surface for fine tuning

verdoux

Reaction score
Handicap
I would like to work on my putting in the off season, but my house is not completely level and my carpet and padding has too much grain and influences the roll. I'd really like to remove those variables so I can study my stroke more effectively.

Anyone seen any products out there that can provide a level surface with a true roll? Or is there any other way I can fine tune my stroke? I haven't seen much out there short of the $3-500 range that can provide this for me, which is a ridiculous amount to spend for this IMO. I suppose the best way would be to make something myself, but I don't have much in the toolbox.

I would like to work on my putting in the off season, but my house is not completely level and my carpet and padding has too much grain and influences the roll. I'd really like to remove those variables so I can study my stroke more effectively.

Anyone seen any products out there that can provide a level surface with a true roll? Or is there any other way I can fine tune my stroke? I haven't seen much out there short of the $3-500 range that can provide this for me, which is a ridiculous amount to spend for this IMO. I suppose the best way would be to make something myself, but I don't have much in the toolbox.

First off, welcome to THP. A great product that I know alot of THPers have is the Birdie Ball Putting green. Comes in all different sizes. There is a big thread on them here: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?43814-Birdieball-Putting-Greens

There are some other tools available such as the Putter Wheel that helps promote a true roll. There is a review here: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?44523-Putter-Wheel-Review

Another product is the SeeMore SPI Cyber Coach: http://www.seemore.com/products/product/seemore-elite-cyber-coach/

The SeeMore SPI system has helped quite a few THPers with their putting. There is a review of the Cyber Coach here as well: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?49380-SeeMore-SPi-Cyber-Coach

I am sure there are plenty other products out there that others can chime in with as well.

Those seem pretty good, thank you. None of them really solve my problem of not having a level surface though. I am just have to live with that or devise some way around it. I can't think of anything short of building something though.

Don't overthink it. Most houses have a little break to them somewhere.

Those seem pretty good, thank you. None of them really solve my problem of not having a level surface though. I am just have to live with that or devise some way around it. I can't think of anything short of building something though.

Some wood and a birdieball putting green can solve that.

Don't overthink it. Most houses have a little break to them somewhere.
Yep. I think a flat (as in smooth) surface is more important than level.

Yep. I think a flat (as in smooth) surface is more important than level.

I agree with that, yes. I just think that a level surface would be a nice tool to have in determining what the face is doing at impact (in fine detail).

Does anyone agree with that idea?

I agree with that, yes. I just think that a level surface would be a nice tool to have in determining what the face is doing at impact (in fine detail).

Does anyone agree with that idea?

I'm curious if you took a shop ruler and just put the ball in the hole you'd use to hang it on a peg board, if that would be enough to solve your problem. You just want to make sure the face is square at impact right? With such a small surface area and little room to work with, I would think it'd take a pretty square roll in order to keep the ball rolling down the ruler without falling off the darn thing. Plus it'd be some nice work on 4 footers.

I'm curious if you took a shop ruler and just put the ball in the hole you'd use to hang it on a peg board, if that would be enough to solve your problem. You just want to make sure the face is square at impact right? With such a small surface area and little room to work with, I would think it'd take a pretty square roll in order to keep the ball rolling down the ruler without falling off the darn thing. Plus it'd be some nice work on 4 footers.

Creative. I like that idea. Thanks.

putting aids- need a level surface for fine tuning

My only question is what green is perfectly flat and level??? I understand the fundamentals you want to work on, but with that being said why not just use a putting green, use different angles and use that to improve your putting you will not only learn your shots but also how to read the roll, read the breaks and you'll be able to see if your face is squared at impact in the first foot or two. And as many of said you can use a level on a ruler for that first couple feet to make sure you're rolling true after that though there is no putting green on any course that is perfectly level so want that is going to be kind of counterproductive. Just my 2 cents and I could be 100% wrong. And the pitter wheel is amazing as far as making sure you are hitting square at impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My only question is what green is perfectly flat and level??? I understand the fundamentals you want to work on, but with that being said why not just use a putting green, use different angles and use that to improve your putting you will not only learn your shots but also how to read the roll, read the breaks and you'll be able to see if your face is squared at impact in the first foot or two. And as many of said you can use a level on a ruler for that first couple feet to make sure you're rolling true after that though there is no putting green on any course that is perfectly level so want that is going to be kind of counterproductive. Just my 2 cents and I could be 100% wrong. And the pitter wheel is amazing as far as making sure you are hitting square at impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See, I disagree, and clearly I'm the minority here. It is my opinion that a real green is not a good place to work on fundamentals. I've heard a lot of people tell me that you can tell if the ball started on line in the first couple feet, which is the main argument I have to disagree with. Yes, you can tell if you pulled or pushed it badly, but not a small amount, which is what I want to accomplish. Think about it. On a 10' putt, if you pull it 1.5-inches, that's only going to be 3/20th of an inch off line at 1 foot, 3/10th at 2 feet. Maybe my vision is poor, but I can't discern such a minor difference, especially when the ball is travelling near its top speed.

Thus, if you get into the habit of pulling or pushing your putts a small amount on the green, and you compensate for this by adjusting your aim and/or read, this becomes counter productive to your aiming and green reading.

I know naysayers are going to say something like, "Missing one inch on a ten foot putt is negligible," which may be true for most golfers. I personally don't just want to be an OK putter, I would like to be good-great. So why set the bar sub-par? That's my 2 cents.

Back