The Official 2014-15 NBA Thread

The Official 2014-15 NBA Thread

Looks like Celtic fans may get their wish as Rondo to Dallas trades heat up substantially... not really sure what all Dallas could offer, but I think Rondo would be a nice fit there.
Dallas' point guards are abysmal, so this would give them help in the backcourt. Dallas has not been good against the top teams in the west, so a move like this is probably needed moving forward.

I think it's as big a boost for them as Kidd coming back was. Should be a substantial upgrade. Last night it was floating around that Brendan Wright would probably be involved, plus a number of picks that were not named. I suspect it gets done because Boston knows keeping Rondo or pairing him with another star is looking less likely.

Finally Rondo is being dealt. Enjoy the cancer Dallas.
I have been saying he needed to go for years in this thread and finally he will be gone. Although they will get half as much as they could have gotten a few years ago.

Finally Rondo is being dealt. Enjoy the cancer Dallas.
I have been saying he needed to go for years in this thread and finally he will be gone. Although they will get half as much as they could have gotten a few years ago.

I actually like it. Gives Dirk a real shot at one more title shot before the slide. Rondo is psycho but can play some ball. Puts Dallas up in the top 3 now in the west on paper. Cuban will know what to do with him. Trade is only good if they can ink him for a few more years.

I actually like it. Gives Dirk a real shot at one more title shot before the slide. Rondo is psycho but can play some ball. Puts Dallas up in the top 3 now in the west on paper. Cuban will know what to do with him. Trade is only good if they can ink him for a few more years.

Overrated
Cant shoot a lick.
Only tries half the time.
More worried about offensive rebounding than getting back on D.
I like Dallas because I like Cuban, but this one I don't see working.

Overrated
Cant shoot a lick.

Potential Starting 5:

Rondo
Ellis
Parsons
Dirk
Chandler

Rondo is averaging 8 pts 10.6 assists and 7.5 rebounds and can play defense. That is the one thing that the Mavs are missing is someone that can play a bit of D. Let's see if the gamble pays off. Mavs are all in this year!

Potential Starting 5:

Rondo
Ellis
Parsons
Dirk
Chandler

Rondo is averaging 8 pts 10.6 assists and 7.5 rebounds and can play defense. That is the one thing that the Mavs are missing is someone that can play a bit of D. Let's see if the gamble pays off. Mavs are all in this year!

I cant wait for you to watch about 10 games in a row with him and then tell me you are not screaming at the TV for him to do something. Instead of just standing there at the top of the key dribbling until 6 hits the clock.

Overrated
Cant shoot a lick.

I never understood why the C's kept him so long. Auerbach wouldn't of put up with it for a second.

I cant wait for you to watch about 10 games in a row with him and then tell me you are not screaming at the TV for him to do something. Instead of just standing there at the top of the key dribbling until 6 hits the clock.

Hope your wrong. Carlisle is a good coach and won't be his first rodeo with this type of player.

Hope your wrong. Carlisle is a good coach and won't be his first rodeo with this type of player.

Very Very Very true.

I'm in the minority in this thread, but I liked Rondo as a player. I think that people don't like him because he doesn't fit the mold of a prototypical point guard, and he's not a great interview or very outgoing off of the court, and people think that he's difficult and a jerk. Wow, that's a lot of negatives I just trotted out there. However, from a basketball standpoint, I think Rondo is going to flourish in Dallas. He was on a terrible team the past 2 years and was the best player on that team, and it didn't fit him at all. I know he tore his ACL a couple of years ago (and I don't think he's ever been the same since then), but at times it looked like he was going through the motions in the past 2 years because he knew the team was going nowhere. Now he gets to go to Dallas, where he gets to play for a team that can go deep in the playoffs, AND his outside shooting deficiencies will get masked because the rest of the team is pretty good at shooting from the outside. I'm not sure Dallas can play enough defense outside of Chandler to actually make a title run, but they're going to be really fun to watch for the rest of the year.

For the Celtics, they held onto him too long. The ideal time to trade him would have normally been last year, but I guess other teams didn't want to trade for Rondo because he was recovering from the ACL tear. His value continued to plummet and now Ainge got a bunch of pieces that will never be impact players on a good team. As a Celtics fan, the realization that the team is really going to be bad for the next couple of years is hard to take, but in the NBA, a team can either be really good or really bad; staying in the middle is not a good long-term strategy. Ainge has to be able to take all of the draft picks that he's accumulated and try to get high in the draft in multiple years and hit on those picks, because even if they have cap room, the marquee free agents are not coming to Boston unless another star is there, and that's not going to happen unless it comes through the draft. Still, it's not going to be fun at all to watch the Celtics in the next couple of years. I just hope that Brad Stevens doesn't get too tired of losing and bolt to a really good college job that may open soon (aka Indiana).

Rondo was given an opportunity to grow into a leader on the court and in the locker room. IMO he failed miserably. When Pierce and company left it was his team to run with. The mark of a good player is not just what he can do on the court when he feels like it, but the whole package he offers an organization

Overrated
Cant shoot a lick.

I think it works perfectly.

In other news, Corey Brewer was traded to Houston for Troy Daniels.

I really liked Daniels' shooting ability, but he was highly underutilized in Houston and he is a one-dimensional player. Brewer will bring more depth and he has good length for his position. He did put up 51 against Houston last year, so maybe he will bring a nice spark off the bench.

In other news, Corey Brewer was traded to Houston for Troy Daniels.

I really liked Daniels' shooting ability, but he was highly underutilized in Houston and he is a one-dimensional player. Brewer will bring more depth and he has good length for his position. He did put up 51 against Houston last year, so maybe he will bring a nice spark off the bench.

Just saw this report. I think it's a good move. It definitely gives us more veteran depth in the back court, although Daniels did show some flashes of brilliance. He was money during the Portland series last year.

Now if only we could get T. Jones back.

Well if it doesn't work out you know Cuban won't wait a minute to throw him under the bus just like he did Odom.

Now if only we could get T. Jones back.

I think Jones is a goner in any other trade that occurs. Donuts is playing so well right now, which makes Jones expendable. Papa has shown he can fill in at the 4 and Dorsey doesn't look completely idiotic out there. DMo has definitely earned a starting spot moving forward. Some Dragic rumors are starting to surface, which would be fantastic, but I think it depends how Phoenix plays heading into the deadline.

Well if it doesn't work out you know Cuban won't wait a minute to throw him under the bus just like he did Odom.

Odom should have been driving the bus once he was acquired. He would have done a better job at it.

I think Jones is a goner in any other trade that occurs. Donuts is playing so well right now, which makes Jones expendable. Papa has shown he can fill in at the 4 and Dorsey doesn't look completely idiotic out there. DMo has definitely earned a starting spot moving forward. Some Dragic rumors are starting to surface, which would be fantastic, but I think it depends how Phoenix plays heading into the deadline.

I think Jones definitely has trade value, but I don't see him going anywhere. But then again, you never know with Morey's aggressive, sometimes erratic style of moving players. Funny you should mention Dragic. The only move Morey made that just had me furious was when we let Dragic go. I'd love to have him back. Maybe Jones, Canaan, and a second rounder for Dragic. Now that Dallas has their premier PG, you know exactly what's on Morey's mind right now. It's beginning to turn into a pissing match between him and Cuban.

Odom should have been driving the bus once he was acquired. He would have done a better job at it.

Pretty sure he would have been driving on a suspended license.

Poor Lamar. I wonder how much the Kardashian's paid him for his role in their campaign to stay relevant.

You've got to be kidding me.

You've got to be kidding me.

If he would call out Lamar Odom for being "a functioning alcoholic" there's no telling what he would say about other players. He didn't name names but it's pretty obvious who he was talking about. I've always liked Cuban even though I can't stand the Mavs, but that was a shot well below the waist.

If he would call out Lamar Odom for being "a functioning alcoholic" there's no telling what he would say about other players. He didn't name names but it's pretty obvious who he was talking about. I've always liked Cuban even though I can't stand the Mavs, but that was a shot well below the waist.

They carried that idiot and tried to help him without embarrassing him, then he went on Kardashians and built entire storyline around his drug problems. He ruined a season for the Mavs and all they did was try and help him....oh and pay him millions.

Josh Smith was cut by Detroit... Houston is rumored to be the favorites to land him since they can offer him their full Bi-Annual exception.

Not sure how I would feel about that. If they can somehow convince him to quit taking jump shots, I'd be all for it. Him and Dwight Howard go way back.

Josh Smith was cut by Detroit... Houston is rumored to be the favorites to land him since they can offer him their full Bi-Annual exception.

Not sure how I would feel about that. If they can somehow convince him to quit taking jump shots, I'd be all for it. Him and Dwight Howard go way back.

You are my resident BBall guru.

With the recent trade, how does this fit into what we currently have roster wise. First thought is bad move bc we don't need another guy not playing defense & shooting jumpers.

You are my resident BBall guru.

With the recent trade, how does this fit into what we currently have roster wise. First thought is bad move bc we don't need another guy not playing defense & shooting jumpers.

Smith's defensive reputation is fantastic, although advanced metrics might tell a different story. He is definitely a rim protector though, which would help Houston's already phenomenal defense (they are top 5 in most defensive measurements). If Smith and Dwight did not have a history, I would not even look twice at Smith. However, maybe Dwight can talk some sense into him since they are friends as Houston will already have multiple guys that can spread the floor around Dwight and Smith. He would have to clear waivers, first, which sounds like it will not be an issue. I'm just glad they didn't give him the $50million+ contract last off-season.

Back