Chair Drill for correct swing plane

Ole Gray

Mayor of the Woodshed
Reaction score
Handicap
Average
Andy -- I asked a while back about a chair drill that would help me not take the club too far inside. I took a few pics so tell me if I am doing this right or should I move the chair etc.?

BillDrill5.jpg

BillDrill1.jpg

TooFlat.jpg

Backyard.jpg

BillDrill3.jpg

Thanks for all your help!

Gray Golf

Andy -- This one is in motion so you can see the flat swing. I believe once I hit my knuckles a few times on this chair it will build some memory huh :eek:) ????

GG I want the chair facing (if you look up at the last picture) the driveway. This will allow you to place the back of the chair on your toe line. This will give you the take away feel that I want you to get. I hope that makes sense. IF not please let me know.

GG I want the chair facing (if you look up at the last picture) the driveway. This will allow you to place the back of the chair on your toe line. This will give you the take away feel that I want you to get. I hope that makes sense. IF not please let me know.

Thanks Andy. I will work on this tonight and thanks for the followup! We hope to see you at the Fla outing in September!

Gray Golf

One more question here... Should the chair be resting against my right hip or a bit farther back. I know the main objective is to train my takeaway to move straighter back, instead of the flat inside move. My timing has to be perfect to square the club up when I make that bad move to the inside. It looks like both or my hands are are pointing skyward. With the chair exercise my hands stay more in line with the clubface, if that makes sense?

Kelly and I have our first of six series of lessons tomorrow at 10:00 a.m. We had six lessons last year from a different instructor who was ok but not near as qualified and experienced as our new coach at Idle Hour CC in Macon. I am excited and looking forward to some quality time with Kelly at our new training facility!

Last edited:
Gray that drill is never going to work for you. You're wearing sandals for God's sake. And are you hitting marshmallows instead of golf balls? What the hell goes on down there in GA anyway?

Sandals, marshmallows, lawn chairs. Seems a little bizarre.

Kevin

I see your concept, I might give this drill a try too.

Gray that drill is never going to work for you. You're wearing sandals for God's sake. And are you hitting marshmallows instead of golf balls? What the hell goes on down there in GA anyway?

Sandals, marshmallows, lawn chairs. Seems a little bizarre.

Kevin

Kevin -- Hell we can't afford golf shoes down here in Georgia :eek:)! Those little marshmellows are birdie balls and a strike pad. Best darn invention ever come out in my opinion. Look at the thread under training aids etc. Old Tha Shanks put them on me and you buy a kit with the strike pad, two dozen birdie balls and a cd on how it all works. It would be super for your backyard for your daughter to work with!

By the way I love the four rods you have set up for her for swing plane training. I have two of them I bought at Lowe's so I guess I need two more and set them up the same to train for that beautiful takeaway and swingplane.

Andy's tip really works if you get the chair :laughing: ligned up in the right direction. I would also suggest getting a chair withour the armrest if possible. If you swing too far inside your knuckles get a workout. I guess that could be a good thing because too much of that and you will get that darn club going back and up on the right path :eek:)

The driveway marker sticks can get you, too. J.L. has yelped more than once.

Kevin

I want the chair a little bit away from you. And I think you have the right idea. When the club is parallel to the ground it should be on your toe line and the club head should be right in line with the hands.

I want the chair a little bit away from you. And I think you have the right idea. When the club is parallel to the ground it should be on your toe line and the club head should be right in line with the hands.

The Pro I worked with today was very impressed with the chair drill!... He had me hitting from two shafts laying on the ground 10 inches apart however they looked about two inches apart. Just wanted to thank you for the drill and I promise I will keep at it to get my swing plane back up where it should be. Thank you Andy for all you do and we surely don't think you enough. I sure hope you make the Florida trip as I would love to greet and thank you!

Gray Golf
Bill

oh wow, i was starting to think you looked like that succulent piece of meat in your picture. and this is the drill ive been doing and i have a chair at my bum too so i know if my body comes off line. it seems to have somewhat worked for me. along with trying to swing my club between 2 tees.

are you hitting into a neighbours backyard? :p

Last edited:
oh wow, i was starting to think you looked like that succulent piece of meat in your picture. and this is the drill ive been doing and i have a chair at my bum too so i know if my body comes off line. it seems to have somewhat worked for me. along with trying to swing my club between 2 tees.

are you hitting into a neighbours backyard? :p

Hell I'm a cross dresser, what can I say. Hooker plus cross dresser = sucking new golf swing but bet the farm I will not quit on it and the chair drill really does work to train your swing plane! Stay with it dude and thank Andy for giving us all this free knowledge via THP. Great site, Great owners JB & GG, and great online golf instructor! If you stay with him and don't understand something he will get back and explain it better. The dude will not leave ya hanging. He's the real deal! Now I have my local swing coach and my online swing coach so what can an old hooker ask for? :clapp:

40 yds carry

40 yds carry

Nope I am not hitting it into the neighbors back yard. These birdie balls travel the perfect distance for my backyard so I hit them down the hill and then back up the hill. Kelly and I can actually hit them back and forth if we want to practice at the same time. Birdie balls are the coolest practice aid that actually works that I have ever tried, bar none!

Now if one of my birdie balls did happen to fly over the fence into the neighbors yard, I would have to whup one or two of those dogs arse because they are not having my balls!!!!! Birdie Balls....

Back