Mizuno JPX-850 Forged Irons - THP Review Thread

I had them in my bag for about 6 months with c tapers and I didn't like them, can't put my finger on why.

glad the 850s are better though, definitely want to get them as I want more distance than I get with my mp53s.

I had the EZ forged in stable for a bit. I traded them for 850s which are sooo much better. Got rid of them about two months ago and they are still on the shelf at store. I wasn't keen on the finish Mizuno went for the set. There were other issues too.

The moment I saw the 850 F I knew it was going to be the beginning of a relatiinship. They are beautiful and they can cook.

I hit the 545 and 745 and 850F 6 iron today outdoors...

These are the exact three that I want to test out now. The J40 CB's are my backup set and the Srixons look like an evolution of those. I can't wait to try these out, especially off grass to get a feeling for how the soles of the Srixons work. The 850F sound like they are no slouch, so it may be splitting hairs to find a clear winner. I feel the same as you do in regards to more GI oriented irons. I just can't hit them as well as a more compact headed iron. I 545/745 set might weasel its way into the bag if they can beat out the S55's.

$750 at rock bottom right now.

Hi there

i'm currently playing the jpx 800 pros and thinking about a new set. my current shaft, dynamic golf r300, seems a bit too heavy for my so i tried the kbs tour r and liked it a lot. c taper lite is another option too caus i like the higher launch compared to the dg r300. but no shop around here has a set of jpx 850 forged to test. i'm playing of about 14 right now. what would you suggest. jpx 850 forged or titleist ap2. liked the ap2 as well but don't know if it is too much of a players club still. i don't like the look of the ap1. thanks a lot

Hi there

i'm currently playing the jpx 800 pros and thinking about a new set. my current shaft, dynamic golf r300, seems a bit too heavy for my so i tried the kbs tour r and liked it a lot. c taper lite is another option too caus i like the higher launch compared to the dg r300. but no shop around here has a set of jpx 850 forged to test. i'm playing of about 14 right now. what would you suggest. jpx 850 forged or titleist ap2. liked the ap2 as well but don't know if it is too much of a players club still. i don't like the look of the ap1. thanks a lot

Hmm...they're both pretty good irons and both are forgiving. I've almost pulled the tigger on 714 AP2s every time I walk into a golf store. As a matter of fact, I was going to get those before the MP15 and 850s were announced. The AP2s are going to have a more solid feel IMO. There's some muscle behind the ball, but the MIzunos seem to feel good no matter where you hit them on the face.

I would try to find an 850 to hit. If nothing else you might be able to find a 6i on eBay.

Picking clubs based off of handicap alone is really tough to do. You could be a good ball striker and have a bad short game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maple Hill golf on the Bay has these available in different shafts and set make-ups at some really good prices. Serious ponder mode now....

Thx. And how about distance between the ap2 an 850 forged?

Hmm...they're both pretty good irons and both are forgiving. I've almost pulled the tigger on 714 AP2s every time I walk into a golf store. As a matter of fact, I was going to get those before the MP15 and 850s were announced. The AP2s are going to have a more solid feel IMO. There's some muscle behind the ball, but the MIzunos seem to feel good no matter where you hit them on the face.

I would try to find an 850 to hit. If nothing else you might be able to find a 6i on eBay.

Picking clubs based off of handicap alone is really tough to do. You could be a good ball striker and have a bad short game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having reviewed both for the site, the 850's are longer by about a half club.

They are 2 degrees stronger than the AP2's though in clubs 4-9. I think set at the same loft angle they would be very similar if not identical in distance.

They are 2 degrees stronger than the AP2's though in clubs 4-9. I think set at the same loft angle they would be very similar if not identical in distance.

These might fall short of that. While most online are quick to look at lofts, they forget that weighting and weight placement can have as much to do with distance if not more than anything else.

Meaning in some instances, lowering of loft is completely necessary because the ball flights too high and in turn leads to shorter distances.

These might fall short of that. While most online are quick to look at lofts, they forget that weighting and weight placement can have as much to do with distance if not more than anything else.

Meaning in some instances, lowering of loft is completely necessary because the ball flights too high and in turn leads to shorter distances.

Exactly, and these launch higher than the AP2's in those clubs even with the stronger lofts.

Right. But in this case the 850's are longer, not shorter, so the lofts aren't compensating for anything. Weighting and everything would make sense as the answer if the 34* AP2 went as far as the 32* 850F, but it doesn't.

You don't think if you strengthen the AP2's loft by 2 degrees they wouldn't go further? Especially when the general rule of golf is 4* is the difference of a club, making 2* a half club, and the Ap2's are a half club short and 2* weak.

I'm not saying anything you said is incorrect and I actually agree with it, but in this instance, the loft angle of the clubs coincide perfectly with Jman's findings in distance difference from testing them both.

Right. But in this case the 850's are longer, not shorter, so the lofts aren't compensating for anything. Weighting and everything would make sense as the answer if the 34* AP2 went as far as the 32* 850F, but it doesn't.

You don't think if you strengthen the AP2's loft by 2 degrees they wouldn't go further? Especially when the general rule of golf is 4* is the difference of a club, making 2* a half club, and the Ap2's are a half club short and 2* weak.

I'm not saying anything you said is incorrect and I actually agree with it, but in this instance, the loft angle of the clubs coincide perfectly with Jman's findings in distance difference from testing them both.

The 850's launch higher, hence the necessitated stronger lofts. If you strengthen the AP2's they will launch EVEN lower and lose carry, not gain it.

It's not all about loft, it really isn't.

2* difference in loft would explain a half club distance difference IMO.

That said, I would go with the higher launching, stronger loft every time.
More distance + Softer landing = winning.

Again, they launch HIGHER even with the strengthened loft. It's not all about the loft being stronger to gain distance, CG and launch matter most.

Again, they launch HIGHER even with the strengthened loft. It's not all about the loft being stronger to gain distance, CG and launch matter most.

I think I'm getting what you are saying now. This is more about the AP2's might lose distance/not gain any by being strengthened, not so much the mizunos would match the distance if they were weakened?

Having reviewed both for the site, the 850's are longer by about a half club.

And how about forgiveness? i still can't decide between the 850 forged and the ap2. playing the 800 pros at the minute. do you think 714 ap2 are less forgiving than the 800 pros?

I cant soeak on the 714s but I replaced some 800 pros with 850 Forged. I really liked the 800s but found the 850F was more forgiving. I actually gained a few more yards but am sure that was do to stronger lofts. I havent regretted switching to the 850Fs.

And how about forgiveness? i still can't decide between the 850 forged and the ap2. playing the 800 pros at the minute. do you think 714 ap2 are less forgiving than the 800 pros?

Can't speak on the 800's, but I believe it's a wash on the AP2 to 850F IMO, thanks to the tungsten weighting in the AP2's I might actually lean that way a scrunch, but it's close.

I asked my local pro about the ap2's. He told me that i could game them because they are not less forgiving than my current mizuno jpx 800 pro's. he just suggested me to get the 4 iron in an ap1 and the rest in ap2's. what do you guys think. i like the look of the ap2's a lot but i am a bit concerned about forgiveness. how much is the difference between 800 pros an 850 forged. is it worth the upgrade?

Mizuno JPX-850 Forged Irons - THP Review Thread

I asked my local pro about the ap2's. He told me that i could game them because they are not less forgiving than my current mizuno jpx 800 pro's. he just suggested me to get the 4 iron in an ap1 and the rest in ap2's. what do you guys think. i like the look of the ap2's a lot but i am a bit concerned about forgiveness. how much is the difference between 800 pros an 850 forged. is it worth the upgrade?

IMO there is a significant jump between the 800's and these, namely distance.

In the end, play what you're comfortable with and want to play. Between the AP2's and these there are a lot of similarities in profile and such, these do launch higher and carry further though, so keep that in mind. As I mentioned before the place where the ap2's shine IMO is the tungsten weighting.

Can you not hit them both to decide?

IMO there is a significant jump between the 800's and these, namely distance.

In the end, play what you're comfortable with and want to play. Between the AP2's and these there are a lot of similarities in profile and such, these do launch higher and carry further though, so keep that in mind. As I mentioned before the place where the ap2's shine IMO is the tungsten weighting.

Can you not hit them both to decide?

It's really hard to decide. i really like the look of the ap2's. but the 850F look nice as well on pictures. unfortunately i can't hit the mizunos. no shop around has them to test. i just read a lot about people saying you can't play ap2's with a hcp of 14 since the headsize is way to small etc. etc.
im playing dg r300 in my 800 pros right now and i am sure i could use some height especially in my longer irons. thats why i think kbs tour or c taper lite could be the right shaft for me.

It's really hard to decide. i really like the look of the ap2's. but the 850F look nice as well on pictures. unfortunately i can't hit the mizunos. no shop around has them to test. i just read a lot about people saying you can't play ap2's with a hcp of 14 since the headsize is way to small etc. etc.
im playing dg r300 in my 800 pros right now and i am sure i could use some height especially in my longer irons. thats why i think kbs tour or c taper lite could be the right shaft for me.

If you need more height, don't sleep on the new XP115's in these, they are higher launching shafts with a really nice feel to them.

As for the cap classification, in the end play what you are confident in and comfortable with. Yes, forgiveness is out friend, but if you don't like what you're playing then you'll find shortcomings that way too IMO. These aren't that different than the AP2's profile wise fwiw. I will say I prefer the feel of these more, but I like plush/dampened/soft over the Titleist click at impact myself.

If you need more height, don't sleep on the new XP115's in these, they are higher launching shafts with a really nice feel to them.

As for the cap classification, in the end play what you are confident in and comfortable with. Yes, forgiveness is out friend, but if you don't like what you're playing then you'll find shortcomings that way too IMO. These aren't that different than the AP2's profile wise fwiw. I will say I prefer the feel of these more, but I like plush/dampened/soft over the Titleist click at impact myself.

Are the XP115 higher launching than kbs tour or c taper lites?

Back