Strange Denizens of the Course

Bennet00

Reaction score
Handicap
????
JB's post on the guy doing the Cam Newton after a par got me thinking. What other strange things have you seen?

I once played with an older gentleman, who kept a penny in his ear to use as a ball mark. Walking up to the green, he would tilt his head and it would fall out into his hand, and then he would mark his ball. When it was his turn to putt, he put the penny back in his ear.

I played with a Japanese guy in Vegas that plumb bobbed EVERY single shot! Even his drives????

JB's post on the guy doing the Cam Newton after a par got me thinking. What other strange things have you seen?

I once played with an older gentleman, who kept a penny in his ear to use as a ball mark. Walking up to the green, he would tilt his head and it would fall out into his hand, and then he would mark his ball. When it was his turn to putt, he put the penny back in his ear.

What the hell !!???

I played with a guy who would read MY putts! Told him to GTF out of my way!

Our skins group is made up of around 40 guys give or take every weekend and there is one guy that is maybe 6 foot tall. He really bends his knees a bunch and then he does the Rodney Dangerfield thing of bumping his knees together a half dozen times as he bobs up and down at the same time, along with countless waggles. I have seen many guys over the years, including myself, having to hold your hand over your mouth while he does this to keep from laughing out loud during his shot. It is classic.

I played with a guy who'd tell everyone in the group what club to pull on every single shot. After watching him hit two shots on the first hole, we didn't listen to a thing he said the rest of the 17 other holes.

Had a guy who ran color commentary on every single shot for me during a tournament this past Spring. Literally after every shot it was "didn't think you'd pull that off" or "oh, you caught that a little toward the heel" or "you might need a little extra club with that lie". Like my own personal Johnny Miller.

At least Johnny Miller comes with a mute button..sorry to hear about your round with that guy.

Had a guy who ran color commentary on every single shot for me during a tournament this past Spring. Literally after every shot it was "didn't think you'd pull that off" or "oh, you caught that a little toward the heel" or "you might need a little extra club with that lie". Like my own personal Johnny Miller.

I had the same thing happen not long ago, the guy played off a high 20's handicap and would not stop commentating and offering advice. I got super pissed off and told him in no uncertain terms that he best S.T.F.U before I got really mad.

I played with a guy who freeze at address for upwards of fifteen seconds before he would start his swing. Just look at the ball...not moving a muscle. Not even blinking. I played with him a lot and finally asked what he was doing and he said he never realized he was doing it for so long. It became a running joke that he was "clearing the mechanism" ("For the Love of the Game" starring Kevin Costner).

I played with a guy who freeze at address for upwards of fifteen seconds before he would start his swing. Just look at the ball...not moving a muscle. Not even blinking. I played with him a lot and finally asked what he was doing and he said he never realized he was doing it for so long. It became a running joke that he was "clearing the mechanism" ("For the Love of the Game" starring Kevin Costner).
His name wouldnt happen to be Jim would it? I am from the same area and there is a guy that I know who does the exact same thing on every single shot or putt.

I play with a guy who goes on and on (the entire round) about how he is perfectly happy to shoot around 100, but then gets seriously angry after every missed shot.

Well, there is a older guy I play with on occasions ( who by the way has been club champ quite a few times) who will come unglued if you talk to his ball after he strikes it or putts it. He does not want anyone to try to telepathically alter the flight of the golf ball when its in the air.

Dude, it was The Gauntlet. I was hyped.

;)

I play with a guy who goes on and on (the entire round) about how he is perfectly happy to shoot around 100, but then gets seriously angry after every missed shot.

Hey now, I don't get *that* mad. hahaha :)

Hey now, I don't get *that* mad. hahaha :)
Its my old man haha. I've gotten used to it but whenever we play with strangers they always get pretty annoyed by the 4th hole.

Its my old man haha. I've gotten used to it but whenever we play with strangers they always get pretty annoyed by the 4th hole.

Ooh ouch, that's rough I can imagine.

I played in a scramble with a lady that wanted me to laser the yardage for every greenside pitch or chip! She couldn't pitch or chip worth a damn, but was adamant about wanting to know the yardage!

Haha my dad has a little of that going on as well but he doesn't usually get to the point where playing partners get irritated. Difference is his goal is 100 and he can barely break 110 hahaha

I played several times with a guy who yelled "Partner!" every time I hit a good shot. If I made a putt over 6 feet, he'd do a Native American war dance around the hole, complete with the WOO-woo-woo-woo WOO-woo-woo-woo. He didn't damage the greens when he did this because he wore flat-soled street shoes with slip-on rubber overshoes covering them. He must have been obsessed with covering things, because all of the graphite shafts on his woods (and he had a lot of them) were wrapped from grip to hosel in black electrical tape.

His name wouldnt happen to be Jim would it? I am from the same area and there is a guy that I know who does the exact same thing on every single shot or putt.

No..LOL! I'll let my buddy know he is not alone in his habits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I played with a guy once who thought he was horrible at this game. He introduced himself and immediately told me that he would slow me down because he's not good.
He shot a 75. I hate him.

Played with a guy several years ago who would lay down to read his putts...flat on the ground, on his belly and then cuff his hands over the brim of his hat to block the sun...didn't help though, he didn't make anything over 5 feet for 18 holes

I played with a guy once who thought he was horrible at this game. He introduced himself and immediately told me that he would slow me down because he's not good.
He shot a 75. I hate him.

I give strangers that warning when I'm paired with them, but I follow through on the promise.

Played with a guy several years ago who would lay down to read his putts...flat on the ground, on his belly and then cuff his hands over the brim of his hat to block the sun...didn't help though, he didn't make anything over 5 feet for 18 holes

Hahaha - that reminds me of a tournament I played in over 20 years ago. One of my vendors was trying to put together a good scramble team for a tournament at Deerwood in Kingwood, TX. I told him that my friend Bobby and I would play - that gave us 3 players with a handicap of 6 or better. Just then, a sales guy walks into the office and hears us talking and told us he'd like to play.

We asked him if he was any good and he says "I played in college". Great we thought!!

The day of the tournament, we're waiting for this guy to show up - all of the other teams had gone to their holes for the shotgun start. Finally he comes running up with a cheapo set of clubs with plastic on the heads. He explained that he had to sit outside of Walmart until they opened so he could buy them. Worry starts to settle in among the rest of us...

Our first hole was a long par-3 and our best shot was in the greenside bunker. Already we noticed on the tee that this sales guy was not a player as he whiffed, then topped his tee shot.

In the bunker, we tell him to hit first and he begins taking enormous practice swings, hitting lots of sand up onto the green. Bobby says to him "um, you know you can't ground your club in the hazard" and he says "well then how am I supposed to hit the ball out of the sand"...

So we end up with about a 4-foot par putt and again we tell him to putt first. He then lays completely prone on the green and turns his head sideways to he can get one of his eyes right at ground level. We laughed our asses off but still were starting to get really annoyed. He knocked his putt about 7 feet by, and after we made the putt I said "I thought you said you played in college".

He says "I did one time". Oh boy...

We shot 10-under and actually won; but needless to say, we used zero shots from this guy.

Back