2014 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after the first 10 days I am down 10 pounds. Obviously I don't think this trend will continue especially as I begin to incorporate more lifting but it's good motivation to keep going towards my goal

So after the first 10 days I am down 10 pounds. Obviously I don't think this trend will continue especially as I begin to incorporate more lifting but it's good motivation to keep going towards my goal
Keep on keeping on

So is it time for the 2015 thread? This one was unpinned.

So is it time for the 2015 thread? This one was unpinned.
I hope a mod let's us know.

Either that or all of the snatch talk caused the thread to be buried.

As I said before the wife has decided to go to the gym with me now. Well she also has changed up her diet and I am to. But I have been reading some things on the whole Juicing. What's everyone think of it and if I do that will I still be able to build strength and muscle?

I dislike juicing and would recommend intermittent fasting instead.
With juicing you can hit overdose levels of fat soluble vitamins (a, d, k, e) if you're not careful.

The juice diet has its benefits. I watched my old man avoid gall bladder surgery after going to an all-juice diet for 6 months. There are upsides to alleviating the extra strain of breaking down certain foods that your body goes through by sort of digesting the food before you eat it. And I would imagine you could add in powder supplements for whatever you feel it might be deficient in with regards to strength training.

That being said, for an otherwise healthy young guy like you and me, a juice diet works for the same reason any other diet works. When we make conscious efforts to control what goes into our body, we not only make healthier choices, we (more importantly) eliminate unhealthy choices. When I pack a grilled chicken breast and a sweet potato for lunch, I not only guarantee that I'll eat something healthy, I make myself nearly immune to grabbing a burger and fries with a coke for lunch instead. When I consciously remove Starbucks from my routine by pouring myself a coffee before I head out, I not only consume a 50 calorie coffee with an almond milk creamer, I avoid a 450 calorie (and $5) macchiato. But that's true whether you juice or do Whole 30 or the Zone diet or go Paleo or any other diet.

Like I said, there are specific health issues that I believing juicing can address, but aside from that, it's a diet. It works as well as you plan and execute it.

I dislike juicing and would recommend intermittent fasting instead.
With juicing you can hit overdose levels of fat soluble vitamins (a, d, k, e) if you're not careful.

The juice diet has its benefits. I watched my old man avoid gall bladder surgery after going to an all-juice diet for 6 months. There are upsides to alleviating the extra strain of breaking down certain foods that your body goes through by sort of digesting the food before you eat it. And I would imagine you could add in powder supplements for whatever you feel it might be deficient in with regards to strength training.

That being said, for an otherwise healthy young guy like you and me, a juice diet works for the same reason any other diet works. When we make conscious efforts to control what goes into our body, we not only make healthier choices, we (more importantly) eliminate unhealthy choices. When I pack a grilled chicken breast and a sweet potato for lunch, I not only guarantee that I'll eat something healthy, I make myself nearly immune to grabbing a burger and fries with a coke for lunch instead. When I consciously remove Starbucks from my routine by pouring myself a coffee before I head out, I not only consume a 50 calorie coffee with an almond milk creamer, I avoid a 450 calorie (and $5) macchiato. But that's true whether you juice or do Whole 30 or the Zone diet or go Paleo or any other diet.

Like I said, there are specific health issues that I believing juicing can address, but aside from that, it's a diet. It works as well as you plan and execute it.
Thanks guys. I did some experimenting with this today and hit up the gym. Was going good after half an hour then all of a sudden I crashed. Got a nasty headache and started to get light headed. I drank plenty of water today as I know how much my body should take. My theory why my body did that was I didn't get enough calories today and it was probably in shock. I think I'll stick to light juicing, chicken lean meats fruits and vegetables now. Feeling a lot better after dinner now.

Glad I found this thread, after quitting smoking 3 months ago (after 30yrs) I stepped on a scale a couple of weeks ago and nearly fainted....I need to lose 50lbs so its time for a life change
Not a new years resolution but I joined a local gym on Jan 2nd....I have been going 4-5 times a week for mostly cardio but just recently started to lift (strength and conditioning exercises mostly, light weight and lots of reps). I am watching my calorie intake, eating heatlhy (havent had fast food of any kind in 2 1/2 weeks) and have lost 10lbs so far. Looking for some good "core training" exercises as I believe this will help my golf game the most

Glad I found this thread, after quitting smoking 3 months ago (after 30yrs) I stepped on a scale a couple of weeks ago and nearly fainted....I need to lose 50lbs so its time for a life change
Not a new years resolution but I joined a local gym on Jan 2nd....I have been going 4-5 times a week for mostly cardio but just recently started to lift (strength and conditioning exercises mostly, light weight and lots of reps). I am watching my calorie intake, eating heatlhy (havent had fast food of any kind in 2 1/2 weeks) and have lost 10lbs so far. Looking for some good "core training" exercises as I believe this will help my golf game the most
Avoid isolation lifts. Curls and tricep kickbacks are useless. Avoid machines. Do as much standing as possible. Keep a log of everything you do in a gym. Have fun and take pride.

Great session last night. Hit a new 3x5 PR last night in the squat. New 3x3 PR on the bench. Felt good. Felt strong.

Last night was another good night in the gym. 6 sets of 2 power snatches. Followed by 5 sets of 3 reps overhead barbell squats.

This is the Gym I am joining today. I think Blugold would approve! After these last few weeks in my tiny apartment gym I am ready to get outta there.
http://www.thegymkc.com/

[h=2]Fewer meat heads and hardly any dip s***s.[/h]
theGYMkc is for people who want an enjoyable place to exercise.
Membership includes 24-hour access to all 3 locations, cardio machines, free weights,
weight equipment, fitness classes [included], showers, toilets, water fountains,
vending machines [that work most of the time], and personal trainers [for an additional fee].
We discourage bodybuilders, grunting power lifters, and spandex.
There are other gyms better suited for that.
theGYMkc is a Mipple-Free Zone.

DDP Yoga, BOSU squats and some light cardio today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the Gym I am joining today. I think Blugold would approve! After these last few weeks in my tiny apartment gym I am ready to get outta there.
http://www.thegymkc.com/

[h=2]Fewer meat heads and hardly any dip s***s.[/h]
theGYMkc is for people who want an enjoyable place to exercise.
Membership includes 24-hour access to all 3 locations, cardio machines, free weights,
weight equipment, fitness classes [included], showers, toilets, water fountains,
vending machines [that work most of the time], and personal trainers [for an additional fee].
We discourage bodybuilders, grunting power lifters, and spandex.
There are other gyms better suited for that.
theGYMkc is a Mipple-Free Zone.
For what your goals are, sounds perfect. For me, first question I ask, "do you allow chalk?"

I would probably be considered a grunting powerlifting. Even though I don't grunt. I take a deep breath and hold it all the way through my lift. Consciously letting out breath during a lift is dangerous.

For what your goals are, sounds perfect. For me, first question I ask, "do you allow chalk?"

I would probably be considered a grunting powerlifting. Even though I don't grunt. I take a deep breath and hold it all the way through my lift. Consciously letting out breath during a lift is dangerous.

Ya I don't think they allow chalk. They are really just a no nonsense gym. Get in get your lift and leave.. That's what I want

Ya I don't think they allow chalk. They are really just a no nonsense gym. Get in get your lift and leave.. That's what I want
Chalk is a must. I use it on almost every lift.

Interesting. Been working out for a long time and never used it
Deadlifts, squats, cleans, snatches, chin/pull ups, rows, presses, hand security is a must. Chalk is the best way to do that.

Unlike straps, chalk is not a substitute for grip strength. You still have to grip the $)(* out of the bar. It just prevents some amount of slipping. You don't necessarily need to be the guy walking around in a cloud of it, but a layer of chalk is a huge help on most lifts.

There's no need to chalk up for the treadmill

Took the plunge and finally joined my wife's gym.

It's called Orange Theory and it's all group personal training. I have no self motivation to work out on my own so it's what I need.

Had my first session tonight and it was awesome. Don't know why I waited so long to sign up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back