2014 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to get back in the gym. Whole30 has been great so far but I need a consistent activity component. I can get a membership to the gym down the street for $25 a month. It's no crossfit but its open 24 hrs.

Squat clean to 3x front squats, three times (basically 3 cleans, 6 front squats), starting at 135, moving up to 205 (didn't finish 205, because hard). Then 135# 3x split jerk, 3x squat jerk, 3x push press, 2x strict press.

After that, overhead dumbbell press, Arnold press, and barbell front raises. Yay, shoulders!

I love me some Arnold presses.

Weight is dropping on track with my goal and I'm slowly not feeling like a big tub of goo. Best part is I finally feel normal again after a rather crappy two weeks of adjusting.

I'm feeling good too. 14 days down 13 pounds and feeling much more energized it is motivation to keep going for sure

That's strong work Taylor. Love those early massive drops like that. Certainly a huge motivator.

That's strong work Taylor. Love those early massive drops like that. Certainly a huge motivator.

Yes sir it is. Definitely validation for the work I've put in man. Every pound is 1 step closer to my ultimate goal

Figured id post an update in here. I'm 2 weeks back into training and feeling better already. I'm doing a boxing workout (bag work, circuit training, and pad work) twice a week and Strong Lifts 5x5 to supplement. Still getting used to the 5x5 routine and figuring out weights/warm up but really like the simplicity of it. Once I start moving the weights up I'll post some progress.
Feels great to be back to being active though!

Are you using the app?

The $2 for the warmup sets is worth it.

Are you using the app?

The $2 for the warmup sets is worth it.

Figured id post an update in here. I'm 2 weeks back into training and feeling better already. I'm doing a boxing workout (bag work, circuit training, and pad work) twice a week and Strong Lifts 5x5 to supplement. Still getting used to the 5x5 routine and figuring out weights/warm up but really like the simplicity of it. Once I start moving the weights up I'll post some progress.
Feels great to be back to being active though!

The app is the best part of Stronglifts. It makes workout tracking pretty darn idiot proof. Outside of that, since Hawkstar turned me on to Starting Strength, I find more validity in a 3x5 for most novices.

and it has a plate calculator as well for $2 which will tell you what to put on the bar. loving the app and the sl 5x5 workout so far.

The app is the best part of Stronglifts. It makes workout tracking pretty darn idiot proof. Outside of that, since Hawkstar turned me on to Starting Strength, I find more validity in a 3x5 for most novices.

I think 5x5 is a bit extreme when you start pushing weights that border your absolute best three days a week. It gets to the point that you lose energy for the other lifts.

I think 5x5 is a bit extreme when you start pushing weights that border your absolute best three days a week. It gets to the point that you lose energy for the other lifts.

ding ding ding.

That is why 3x5 is better.

I'm always amazed how much better I feel when I cut the waste carbs from my diet and start getting them from veggies instead. Plus, my body responds like a champ, down 5lbs already after hitting my heaviest in a couple years (211), I really do want to finally get down to 185-190 and not just settle at 200 like I have been.

Lifting won't be part of it for me, but that is because I was forced to do that most of my life, and then I was forced to force other to. Burnout.

But, there are other ways, resistance work and yoga is starting up next week, plus, I'm going to give running another go. Really would love to do at least a half sometime in my life to say I did.

Also why I like 2x5, 1x5+. :)
Without a doubt. For you and me that's great. For a beginner, 3x5 is what I would recommend.

For sure.

Good session last night.
Squats. 2x3 and a drop set of 5 reps

Overhead Presses. It was supposed to be 3x3 but I missed the 3rd rep on the 1st and 3rd set

Closed with 5x3 power cleans

I am really liking the app so far, it has the option of 3x3 as well. I've been doing ok so far, but might switch over to 3x3 once the weights really start to increase. My biggest gripe so far is the bar clamps, I'm probably going to invest in some decent ones to make changing plates easier (especially while warming up).

Today was squat 140lb 5x5, bench 100lb 5x5, and barbell row 100lb 5x5.

Feeling good!

I am really liking the app so far, it has the option of 3x3 as well. I've been doing ok so far, but might switch over to 3x3 once the weights really start to increase. My biggest gripe so far is the bar clamps, I'm probably going to invest in some decent ones to make changing plates easier (especially while warming up).

Today was squat 140lb 5x5, bench 100lb 5x5, and barbell row 100lb 5x5.

Feeling good!
Don't jump off of 5 reps. If anything, 3 sets of 5 reps. I'm not sure your age, but you could still use the extra volume

2nd workout complete and man am I going to be sore tomorrow!

20 minutes of treadmill interval training, 20 minutes of floor which included reverse lunges, triceps dips, presses, running man, ab work and then a lift/row circuit of 800m row, 12 dead lift rows, 12 weighted sumo squats, 600m row, 14 dead lift rows, 14 weighted sumo squats, 400m row, 16 dead lift rows, 16 weighted sumo squats

2nd workout complete and man am I going to be sore tomorrow!

20 minutes of treadmill interval training, 20 minutes of floor which included reverse lunges, triceps dips, presses, running man, ab work and then a lift/row circuit of 800m row, 12 dead lift rows, 12 weighted sumo squats, 600m row, 14 dead lift rows, 14 weighted sumo squats, 400m row, 16 dead lift rows, 16 weighted sumo squats
That must have burnt some calories. Good work.

That must have burnt some calories. Good work.
It's really cool. You wear a heart rate monitor and they broadcast everyone's stats on big tvs all over the gym. The goal is to be in different heart rate zones at different parts of the workout in order to maximize the workouts. Said I burned 978 calories during the workout. They also send a PDF to your email afterwards. Max heart rate of 191 with average 168 with 34 minutes in the orange

fbe3637db153ff1938a4b923f06480e3.jpg

It's really cool. You wear a heart rate monitor and they broadcast everyone's stats on big tvs all over the gym. The goal is to be in different heart rate zones at different parts of the workout in order to maximize the workouts. Said I burned 978 calories during the workout. They also send a PDF to your email afterwards. Max heart rate of 191 with average 168 with 34 minutes in the orange

Nice work Joe.

We are starting to have those gyms pop up around here and wondered what the workouts look like. Pretty solid metabolic workout looks like, you would definitely burn some calories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back