Do talkers on the tee or while putting bother you? Advice

Plinyyounger

Magistrate Ancient Rome
Reaction score
Handicap
fake peopl
Hi to all of you! So I do not consider my self anal or even irritable but I ran into something today while playing that really bothered me.

i have only been back in the game for a few months, I'm really enjoying it and during the last two rounds have actually been respectable, an 81 yesterday and 83 today. I have a lot of practice to do still. But fun anyway!

while playing today, I was a single hooked up with a couple guys who were very nice but their game was...hal should I say it...different. They wanted to compete from the first hole, I told them I was just practicing but would participate anyway, I wanted to be cordial.

Well, right off the first tee they told me about the rule they use wherein if they don't hit it 10 yards they will hit another, lol. Not a good sign. It turns out any shot they didn't like they rehit, and reHit again until they were satisfied, lol. No problem, but it was irritating to hear them claim pars after I watched them hit 5 shots over! Not the issue though, although it was disturbing.

my issue is, these nice gentlemen, every time I was either on the tee or on the green they would not shut up. They were not doing it on purpose, just talked, talked talked, or cleaned their balls while I'm swinging, or cleaning their shoes on the shoe cleaner, it was non stop.

i was polite, tried to ignore it but on the tee on the 18th hole, the dude with the mouth that wouldn't stop said to me after I stepped away from my ball, "you get distracted easily don't you?" I told him no, noise only bothers me when it's unexpected. He said, "you should work on that!" Lol. I told him, I normally just hope the players I'm with are respectable and don't make noise when they should be quiet. I think he got the message. Nah, no he didn't.

I was pissed at myself for letting it bother me, but a train passing by is okay, other noises are okay. But I think what actually bothers me is when I don't get the respect I really try to give others.

im not a complainer, but today was CrAZY!

Thoughts? Let me know if I'm the crazy one.

Honestly noise doesn't bother me at all, I love having music going, talking to me is just white noise like the music.

I don't think you are being unreasonable. I catch myself talking when I shouldn't be every now and then and I feel terrible afterwards.
The talking doesn't really bother me personally, but everyone is different.

Other constant noise is fine, no problem at all. I think my issue is the lack of concern they show rather then the noise itself.

Last edited:
With the group I play with, I expect there to be occasional talking. Like ArmyGolf said, we just into conversations and aren't paying attention to the person that is getting ready to hit. In my opinion, what they were doing was rude and poor etiquette.

It's different for everyone but in a casual round with friends or forum members laughter and cutting up is the norm and some time it's in the middle of the swing, the putt or whatever. In a tournament round I prefer quiet, I have a hard enough time focusing for more than 30 seconds without added distractions.

If the talking is going on prior to my addressing the ball, it does not bother me. If it starts in mid swing / stroke, I get rattled and a little upset since it is a variable which is introduced unexpectantly.

Thanks for the quick responses ladies/gents. I appreciate it. This is the first time I experienced this issue as extreme as it was today. The normal stuff we experience with our friends is different. Thanks again!

People who are talking and who STOP talking right when I am taking my shot bothers me. If you are going to talk, keep it going during my shot, because I am already hearing you talk anyway.

If the talking is going on prior to my addressing the ball, it does not bother me. If it starts in mid swing / stroke, I get rattled and a little upset since it is a variable which is introduced unexpectantly.

Kind of where I'm at. If your talking before my stroke ok, but if not then keep it down. Music on the other hand in my opinion has no place on the course. We live in this me me me world, but it is all about doing the right thing for others that are on the course. My course has a no music-no headphones rule per player safety. Just enjoy the company of others, the game and the great outdoors. There is plenty of time in life for music and cell phones etc.

I admit I am guilty of this, I am trying to fix this. To be honest I may have even done this a couple times today. Sorry Curtis, Ryan and John.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely bugs me, maybe I need to work on my focus.

During a casual round with friends/family I can tolerate it even though I don't do it.
In a tournament, I do not like it and feel its rude behavior.
My children have been taught that a round of golf is like being at public library, keep quiet 99% of time so as not to disturb others.

As long as the conversation doesn't start or abruptly stop once I address the ball I'm fine.

Unless there is a sudden sharp noise (car horn siren and things like that) that starts during my address I don't care. Very few things bother me once I start my routine, because I don't let them.

Ongoing noise doesn't bother me, like if guys are chatting on the green or tee.

What bothers me is when all is silent until I get over the ball to stroke my putt, and someone starts all of a sudden.

I used to play with a guy who was quiet for the other 2 players in the group, but would always start talking when I was over my ball. You can say something to them about it, sometimes it makes an impression on them, sometimes it doesn't.

Yeah, it's the change that bothers me. If someone is talking and stops it's almost as bad as starting during a stroke.

I can see how it can bother people, but the talking doesn't bother me at all. If it's sudden when it's been quiet, it might startle me a bit, but I try to not let that sort of thing get to me and just focus on my shot.

I Try to have it not bother me but it happens sometimes. Most of the guys I play with are courteous and don't say anything once the first person in the group tees off.i don't like the sudden noise or quiet

I enjoy normal banter during a round--even some that is good natured smack. But, it does bother me when it's when you're in the process of hitting a shot or making a putt. Once a player starts his pre-shot routine, the talk should stop. At a minimum it's disrespectful. If intentional, it's deceitful.

I always swing while people are talking. No biggy to me as long as it isn't egregious or poor natured.

yes...

The constant mulligans would be the thing that drove me crazy. Don't get me mid swing and noise doesn't bother me.

IMO it was just rude and inconsiderate. They may have been used to gabbing constantly while playing together but should have a little respect and ease off if someone unfamiliar is in the group.

Back