Srixon Z 545 Irons Preview

Yeah, I kinda figured that a fitting would be best. I have a friend who owns a golf shop but he doesn't do fittings for Srixon. I'll stop by a couple of places and see what they charge and if they can give me a good deal close to what I see online, then maybe I'll support the local shop.
The Mizuno shaft optimizer is a simple fitting, but will give you several otions to think about.

Yeah, I kinda figured that a fitting would be best. I have a friend who owns a golf shop but he doesn't do fittings for Srixon. I'll stop by a couple of places and see what they charge and if they can give me a good deal close to what I see online, then maybe I'll support the local shop.
Use the Callaway Apex as your fitting head. Similar to the 545 and your shop should have plenty of shaft options for it

Use the Callaway Apex as your fitting head. Similar to the 545 and your shop should have plenty of shaft options for it
^this.

Same me thing I did since they just had a demo with the S300 I ran through the shaft optimizer and then tested different shaft options with the Apex head. I joked with my fitter that if I kept hitting those I might just buy the Apex, then he kindly said...well I just put my Apex's on the used rack and bought the Srixons lol

Can't wait to get these bad boys out for some swings
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422820779.967428.jpg
12297dc8427a713b26314e0ee4b2b58c.jpg
968fe6ffcbce56cd8727fee46877301d.jpg

They look great Eric, I hope to see my by midweek. Luckily I have the weather to get out and try them right away.

Some people asked about wear. These were put in play about six months ago.
4cfd7e9ac1fcedd0eabbbfe4d0f57324.jpg

74c8090eaf0b90ce8b3ca26cf416d336.jpg

35d0fd4a1e77da813d37ab2fff020710.jpg

Agreed. I was impressed at how they held up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We weshafted ours with the same ferrules!

That's funny. Seemed like a good match for the total package.

Hawk, do you have any type of iron covers on them to prevent them banging around? I see some bag chatter, but overall look good

Same ones I used to reshaft my hopkins wedges - closest I could find to the stock ferrules on the 545s

Hawk, do you have any type of iron covers on them to prevent them banging around? I see some bag chatter, but overall look good
No sir. I contemplated it, but in retrospect it doesn't seem like it was needed anyway.

No sir. I contemplated it, but in retrospect it doesn't seem like it was needed anyway.

I'm on the fence of getting some while they are in the trunk. My Apex's are pretty clean, but have some chatter.

I have always used Club Glove iron covers on my forged irons. Best covers I have found. Put the ones I had previously used for 2 years on my Mizuno's on my 545s and I figure I will be able to get another 2 years out of them. Other than a few nicks on the soles and of course the wear from ball striking on the face, the two year old Mizuno's looked great when I sold them.

word up, those beauties need to see daylight.

Oh and the sweet spot kinda looks unused on that one, I can relate

I prefer the alternative sweet spot.

I got out to the sim/launch monitor on Saturday with the new Z545s. I hit 5 iron through PW and wanted to get an idea on potential distances. I know that trusting any LM is tough when it comes to distances but I at least wanted to get a feel for any potential gaps. Overall I didn't find any significant gaps across the board, which is a good thing. Although, distance ranges did vary somewhat on the higher end of the set but I attribute that to a poor swing and an injured wrist. All together I'm seeing distances that are pretty similar to my Apex irons. All good stuff so far.

Feel off the face is what impresses me so much with these irons. Very soft when struck well.

Dispersion was a little too off for me, but that might be because these are set at standard lie and I game my Apex at 2* upright. I'm gonna get out and play a little bit and might get that adjusted soon, if necessary.

The set came with the Lamkin UTx grips and I'm not gonna lie - they are not for me. I game Winn Dri-Tac grips normally and absolutely love them. The Lamkins were so rigid they chewed a hole in a brand new FJ glove on Saturday! Those will be switched out before this weekend.

I'm looking forward to getting out and working with these irons some more.
Curious how the Nippon shafts felt compared to the recoils you have in the Apex. I know you said you didn't strike the ball well, but I wonder how much of that was you being off vs. flex characteristics of the different shafts.

Given my track record for how long i've kept clubs in the bag...I put headcovers on whatever I have lol. For the most part i keep mine on, but sometimes will just keep them off during the round and on when they are in my trunk traveling or put up.

Oh and for those who can't get their hands on them: I was at my local shop today and found out what they had in stock. They have 3 sets of Srixons; 1 set of 545s 4-PW, 1 set of 745s 4-PW, and a combo set of 545s/745s (4-6 545s, 7-PW 745s). All are stock S300s with stock Lamkin grip and lies etc. Cost is $874 and after telling them about the shortage and the site, they said that they'd ship them out and make any loft/lie adjustments you need free of charge (anything outside the US they can't do free shipping though).

They are very decorated fitters, great guys. super nice and local to my area called the First Tee Golf shop in Goldsboro, NC.

Man, I'm really in ponder mode about getting the 545 gap wedge to match my set, or continue to use my 52* Fourteen RM-12 that I'm hitting well....

Well i made a deal to get a set of C Taper shafts I wanted with the idea that I would put them in a set of z545s.

unfortunately I didn't think to check tip diameter 1st. The 545s are .355 & the shafts I dealt for are .370.

Now I guess I have the following options
1. Sell/trade the shafts
2. Look for a different set of heads to put on them
3. Get the z545s & have the hosels bored out to take the .370 shafts.

Back