2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still not sure why it's so insane to have two pairs of shoes. One for conditioning and one for strength training.
This times 1000000. I actually have 4 pairs of athletic shoes. My oly shoes, new balance minimalist sneakers, brooks zero drop shoes for short distances and more cushioned running shoes for long distances. I also have hi top chucks if I feel like doing sumo DL or wide stance squats. Shoes are tools and a doctor wouldn't use a plastic knife for scalpel.

This times 1000000. I actually have 4 pairs of athletic shoes. My oly shoes, new balance minimalist sneakers, brooks zero drop shoes for short distances and more cushioned running shoes for long distances. I also have hi top chucks if I feel like doing sumo DL or wide stance squats. Shoes are tools and a doctor wouldn't use a plastic knife for scalpel.
We have 14 golf clubs. Why not more than one pair of shoes? Considering that improper footwear when weight training can cause some major injuries.

Compound lifts like bench presses or chins, nobody needs weight lifting shoes for. But squats, deads, cleans, and snatches proper weightlifting shoes are a must

I only do squats and deadlifts one day a week and usually not that heavy. 225ish squats, 300ish deadlifts at the most. I'm just not sure that it would be worth buying a pair of shoes to wear once a week to do such little weight?

I only do squats and deadlifts one day a week and usually not that heavy. 225ish squats, 300ish deadlifts at the most. I'm just not sure that it would be worth buying a pair of shoes to wear once a week to do such little weight?
You would be better off going barefoot (especially on DL ) than wearing running shoes.

I'm not going to argue or try to convince you otherwise. You have some history that most don't. Bradman, I'm assuming, doesn't have a body like yours.

I'm not going to argue or try to convince you otherwise. You have some history that most don't. Bradman, I'm assuming, doesn't have a body like yours.

Not trying to argue, it was an honest question. With doing such little weight, would it be worth buying a specialized pair of shoes? I don't want to get hurt and be down for months again.

Not trying to argue, it was an honest question. With doing such little weight, would it be worth buying a specialized pair of shoes? I don't want to get hurt and be down for months again.
I honestly think so. The support that a good pair of shoes offers is staggering. I don't know your routine or how you squat. But I think, in general, the benefits of squat cannot be replicated by any other lift. I fall into the camp that more people should squat more often.

Bullit. Blu knows more than me but I've been doing compound lifts in running shoes or baseball trainers since high school and never had a single issue

My first pair of gym shoes (before splitting off into squats - nike oly shoes vs dl - barefoot vs everything else - cross trainers) was a pair of converse all-stars. They work perfectly for most everything you can throw at them.

Bullit. Blu knows more than me but I've been doing compound lifts in running shoes or baseball trainers since high school and never had a single issue
I'm not an expert or am going to say you're wrong. Everything I've read, experienced, and observed, squishy running shoes are not a good idea for squats, deadlifts, overhead presses, cleans, jerks, or snatches.

Squats, bench and chins tonight. I'm going to lighten up a touch because I missed 7 days in the gym

1.5 mile jog 1/2 mile walk.

It was a tough slow run because then track was covered on snow.

A mile on the treadmill, 2000m on the rowing machine, a bit of weights.
Really enjoying getting off work and going straight to the gym.

Had a good workout today. 35 minutes on the treadmill and some abs. Going out of town for work tomorrow, but the hotel has a gym. Probably limited, but hey it is better than nothing.

1500 yards in the pool tonight. Feeling it in the abs too.

Had a crappy workout, but at least I went I guess

Pretty good workout yesterday and a recovery workout today.

Yesterday:

Hang cleans 3x6

Superset 1: Deadlifts 4x5 and pushups 4x10

Superset 2: Cable rows 4x10 and goblet squats 4x8

Today

Bike 50 minutes

I did squats and benched last night. Worked up to 3 sets of singles on each. It felt good to go heavy (for me). I closed with 3 sets chin up.

All this crap weather has made it tough to get a regular workout in. Its kind of a momentum killer when you want to work out but the gym is closed. I did get to the gym every day over the weekend, but was looking forward to working off some of the super bowl beverages and munchies yesterday. Thanks to another foot of snow, that didnt happen.

I get back into soccer and basketball this week and hopefully the upcoming snow wont close the gym any more.

Started doing more compound lifting per the recommendations here.

Started dead lifts for the first time last week. After some super light sets focusing on form, I was able to dead lift 205lbs for 8 reps pretty easily. Still didn't want to push it too much, and boy my hamstrings were sore. Plan on adding some more weight this week.

Also started the overhead press per the recommendations here. Started out with the bar to focus on form and ended up able to do 85lbs for 8 reps as my last set. You were right blu, these are very easy. I feel like there is plenty of room to grow as far as weight goes, but I have much more lower body strength than upper body.

This week I want to try "cleans", never done this before but I've watched some videos.

Interesting post about the shoes. I just wear my Nike running shoes, I will look into a pair of these lifting shoes for certain days.

Started doing more compound lifting per the recommendations here.

Started dead lifts for the first time last week. After some super light sets focusing on form, I was able to dead lift 205lbs for 8 reps pretty easily. Still didn't want to push it too much, and boy my hamstrings were sore. Plan on adding some more weight this week.

Also started the overhead press per the recommendations here. Started out with the bar to focus on form and ended up able to do 85lbs for 8 reps as my last set. You were right blu, these are very easy. I feel like there is plenty of room to grow as far as weight goes, but I have much more lower body strength than upper body.

This week I want to try "cleans", never done this before but I've watched some videos.

Interesting post about the shoes. I just wear my Nike running shoes, I will look into a pair of these lifting shoes for certain days.
I love reading this. Good work. Word of advice, the power clean is in no way an upper body lift.

This is me power cleaning. These are not perfect. My foot work needs attention.

Power cleans @170# for 3:

[video=youtube_share;n-KDyVwdbvE]http://youtu.be/n-KDyVwdbvE[/video]

I love reading this. Good work. Word of advice, the power clean is in no way an upper body lift.

This is me power cleaning. These are not perfect. My foot work needs attention.

Power cleans @170# for 3:

[video=youtube_share;n-KDyVwdbvE]http://youtu.be/n-KDyVwdbvE[/video]

Thanks again, my hammies are still sore, I pushed it too hard for the first time doing deadlifts. No biggie though, just kinda stunk getting another 10 inches of snow with sore hammies.

I'll check the video when I get home. I plan on doing just Cardio today, just not enough time before night class.

Thanks again, my hammies are still sore, I pushed it too hard for the first time doing deadlifts. No biggie though, just kinda stunk getting another 10 inches of snow with sore hammies.

I'll check the video when I get home. I plan on doing just Cardio today, just not enough time before night class.
My advice on cardio, I'm not an authority by any means, avoid long bouts of cardio. Get onto an elliptical or a treadmill. Do 2 minutes of a light warm up. Then go hard for 30 seconds, like 90% of max effort. Then go light, 20%, for 90 seconds. Do that cycle 6 times. Then you're done. You will be sweating. You may feel like death.

My advice on cardio, I'm not an authority by any means, avoid long bouts of cardio. Get onto an elliptical or a treadmill. Do 2 minutes of a light warm up. Then go hard for 30 seconds, like 90% of max effort. Then go light, 20%, for 90 seconds. Do that cycle 6 times. Then you're done. You will be sweating. You may feel like death.

Thanks Blu, I currently do high-intensity inverval training. I do about 5-10 mins of warm up, then high-intensity intervals similar to what you posted. Do this for about 10 minutes, sometimes towards the end I give myself a bit more then 90 seconds of break.

I end up covered pretty well in sweat, finish up with some stretching then head home.

Hit a new PB on bench press today after doing 4 sets to failure. I guess I should have added more weight for the sets if I can do that.

I'm going to give the chest a few days to recover and then actually see what my max bench actually is, since I have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back