Contest Threads - Not What They Seem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as getting someone to click the link so you get extra entries ... is it possible that people just copy/paste the link from the top of the browser and don't realize it's directly benefiting them, as opposed to giving everyone a straight 1 to 1 chance? Benefit of the doubt and all that.

It doesn't matter to me one way or another how the ruling on this goes, though to be honest ... if that forum was relegated to THP contests I'd be fine with it. I probably miss a good portion of contests because I don't go in there very often as I get notification of many of these contests in my email inbox already.

No it would not be possible based on how the links are given.
They have borderline taken over the Contest section of the thread.

i don't get into all of them but i do think any benefit to the poster should be stated. i am also cool with just one thread.

I'm indifferent to one thread or a thread for each contest, but I think posters should disclose if they are getting additional entries when you click their link.

I don't open the threads or click links anyway, so makes no difference to me either way.

I have recently ranted about this and gotten mixed reviews on my posts about it. People say they don't mind supporting a THPer but this same THPer added his link to someone else's thread (someone who posted a regular link, not a bonus sign up link).

Some of the reactions I got made me think that they thought I was out of line by suggesting it was wrong for people to post links where they get bonus entries (even though they didn't disclose it). Do people remember the FreeBirdie contests that were here for a while that were basically not allowed anymore? That's how I feel about people who post the links to get the bonus entries. FreeBirdie is gone from here, so should these bonus entry contests. (And actually, the FreeBirdie ones had a little more merit since the guy was telling people what was going on; they still disappeared from the site)

My opinion is that if someone sees that someone is getting extra entries (disclosed or not) the thread is better off being reported and deleted.

Same with me. I rarely click on the contest threads posted on THP.

I haven't (knowingly) entered any contest that require or incentivize you to pass on the link. So I'm not that familiar with them.

But i agree with most that there should be a dedicated thread for these type.

Question, would you then have two threads for contest. One for the genuine contest and one for the Amway style contest :)

Seems like that would take a lot of moderation to manage.

SaA

I don't waste my time entering any of those contests. I don't trust them tbh.

We have started a new sticky thread with rules and will close this one up. Thanks for your insight guys. If this does not work, we will work on moving them all to a single thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back