When i first started i used to only play with a 5wood then gradually moved up to a 3w... and then the driver....

i took lessons with the driver and it helped......

my best scoring games come from being able to hit solid drives on the fairway.... and there some holes during practice i use a driver..and in tournament play ill use the 3w if OB is in play on the left side.....

the driver is just too much fun when your hitting it good.....

How much difference is there between your driver and 3w length wise? I once had a driver only about 1 inch longer than my 3w and it was a fairway finder. I had my R11 built to 45 and I like it much better. Your driver length may be causing alot of your problem. Lots of THPers have shortened their drivers.

Yeah I agree. I have my TM RBZ Tour cut down to 44". Makes it much more manageable and controllable. Didnt lose much distance if any I can tell. I hit a baby fade and love it

Some days I play only my 3 wood and focus on fairways. Those days I tend to hit more GIR's which in turn takes off strokes. But i let my ego take over most of the time and play Driver when 3W would be more than enough. Oh well, just hit it again

It takes a lot of discipline to take the driver out of the bag. I played a few rounds without mine many years ago when I was struggling with my driver, and had good results playing that way.

In the long run, you put yourself at a disadvantage by not having a driver. Finding a driver that you are confident hitting, whether through a fitting or getting lessons or practicing more, is the way to go in my opinion.

Very sound advice!

My plan is to keep the driver in the bag and work with it on the range but until I can control it on the range I'll use the 3 wood when it counts. I played again today "driverless" and hit the ball really well again(two rounds in a row, God must have ignored everything else this week lol). Might be time to get my short game together though. It was kind of sketchie today. Thanks all for the advice.

This all makes me wonder a bit. Since it has been said that most people don't play as much loft on their driver as they should, if someone had a driver that didn't work optimally for them, then something like a RBZ 3W might give them as good or even more distance than their driver.

Yeah I agree. I have my TM RBZ Tour cut down to 44". Makes it much more manageable and controllable. Didnt lose much distance if any I can tell. I hit a baby fade and love it

Agreed. If you're struggling with your driver (or even if not), getting it cut down is something to consider.

I tend to hook my driver too often so a few weeks ago I choked up and damn, straight balls of fire! I use my 3 wood for driving if my driver is having a bad day so whatever works is what you should play.

I ordered an R11 3T wood that has 14* loft and of course all the adjustments for ball flight. I'll let you guys know how that goes when it gets here. I'm using a Nike VR pro 3 wood right now. It works for me better than the Game Improvement (BB Diablo) 3 wood I had before, which is strange for a high handicap, short hitter like myself.

This all makes me wonder a bit. Since it has been said that most people don't play as much loft on their driver as they should, if someone had a driver that didn't work optimally for them, then something like a RBZ 3W might give them as good or even more distance than their driver.

Good luck getting that driver game back, I think playing with just a 3 wood or strong 3 wood can help out a lot, from personal experience, I bought a great 3 wood and used it off the tee for a long time instead of the driver, what happened made history for my game, I become confident off the tee, and since I had the same shaft on my driver and 3 wood I knew the ball flight would be similar.
I started developing a great consistent tee game and unrealized the biggest culprit causing my distance was the release, and j also worked on that, and today I can tell you that I play my driver more than my 3 wood, why? Because the extendes time playing with the 3'wood
Have me the confidence I needed!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

I didn't have one in the bag for about a year because I couldn't hit the one I had. It was the right thing for me at the time. It's so nice to have one in the bag that i can actually hit now.

This is the 3W I have in my bag and it has done me well for the time I have had it - not measured so not totally accurate but I have hit it somewhere in the region of 270 - 280yds based on hole yardage and 150yd markers

But I do find it is a pretty accurate club for me and it always feel good when you hit a 3W just as far as your playing partners hit their driver :)

Been thinking about this as of late. Have a tourney on Saturday morning on a course playing no more than 6200 yards.

Think the driver stays at home and gonna see if I can get my scoring trending back down where it should be.

Anyone else doing this currently?

Been thinking about this as of late. Have a tourney on Saturday morning on a course playing no more than 6200 yards.

Think the driver stays at home and gonna see if I can get my scoring trending back down where it should be.

The way you were hitting the 3w, i think it would be a good idea. Especially if you are going to be playing from the white tees.

You got to go with the consistent stick. I had to put my previous driver on the trading block because of some serious inconsistency and purchased me a mini driver. This worked great for me but on a whim I decided to try one more 460 head driver. The only difference was this time I went with a higher loft with a lower flex. This allowed my crippled ole arse to swing easier and with more confidence which has allowed the big stick back in my bag.

I did it yesterday. I can't say it helped improve scoring since I wasn't very consistent with anything bigger than 8i, but I was punished far less on misses. I did manage to birdie the longest par 4 on the course though.

Just for grins, try choking up all the way to the bottom of the grip (as close to the clubhead as you can get and still touch rubber).

Does that help any?

I can't hit my driver well with a normal grip. I choke way up, and I can hit straight most of the time. From what I've been reading, we can thank club manufacturers for giving us driver shafts a few inches too long for the sake of hitting the ball farther*

*farther off line, most of the time

Next driver I buy, I'm getting it custom made and insisting on a 43"-44" shaft length.

I occasionally play with a buddy who is a pretty good golfer, and I've never seen him bag a driver.

He hits his 3W as far as I hit my driver anyways.

He tried shortening his driver shaft at one point, but still preferred the consistency of his 3W.

i would never give up consistency for a few extra yards. For a lot of extra yards, I'd probably get sucked in, but for 5-15 yards...not a chance.

I had no driver for a few rounds last season and granted I only played my home course, where I knew how to adjust, there were only a couple times I missed it. Scored very similarly though.

The last driver I had was made of real wood -- 3 wood only now plus I won a long drive in a high school alumni tournament 295 yards ---I was the next to the oldest playing class of 1970

I had a loose ferrule on my driver last year, so I showed up for my league round without it…and shot one stroke higher than the lowest round I've ever shot on that side.

Back