What creates distance?

White Rhino

SANDBAGGER!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Is it the ball? Is it the shaft? Is it the technology? Is it the condition of the player? Is it the swing speed? What is/are the factor(s) that allow one person to hit a shot 200 yards and then hand the club ( type of club does not matter in this case) to his buddy and he hit one 250 yards? Hitting from the same spot on the same day with as much else being equal as possible. Any ideas? I have other questions on this topic but will ask them once the conversation starts and I see what direction we are going.

theres many factors... but i think the most important are club head speed thru impact... and pure contact

I see it as being very much like a karate punch. It depends on how much of the power you put into the swing is focused on the clubhead at the point of impact. That is a factor of physical ability, timing, swing speed, correct club/shaft/ball combination. But since I've never had a particularly high SS or smash factor, I'm not really the one to ask how to go about it. :dohanim:

I just sign up on another golf forum whenever I need to gain an extra 20 or 30 yards.

I think it's a combination of all things that get you to a higher clubhead speed at impact. The weight of the head, the type of shaft, to the timing of the release. All things I'm still working on!

Ok so how does one increase their swing speed? LIfting weights and becomming stronger? I know changing the shaft was spoken about here recently. Any thing else?

Ok so how does one increase their swing speed? LIfting weights and becomming stronger? I know changing the shaft was spoken about here recently. Any thing else?

I'm not an expert by any means but increasing flexibility and core strength would definitely help. The more coil you can produce on the back swing the more energy you can release coming through the impact zone.

It's how one generates his/her power.An important piece to one's swing is the proper pivot and storing the power in the wrist cock untill the last moment before unleashing at impact.It's not about how hard one swings the club.It's how it's done.Example,freddy couples and erine els do not swing hard from the top of the back swing.They gradually generate their speed from the top into impact.by storing the wrist cock till the end and using their forward pivot point with the hip turn which allows the arms to come along and snap at the end to explode into the ball

I'm better at demonstrations then explaining by words.Sorry if I confused anyone.
If I was allowed to post videos,I would so I could explain it better.
Many generate their power early on in the swing which causes deceleration .

It's how one generates his/her power.An important piece to one's swing is the proper pivot and storing the power in the wrist cock untill the last moment before unleashing at impact.It's not about how hard one swings the club.It's how it's done.Example,freddy couples and erine els do not swing hard from the top of the back swing.They gradually generate their speed from the top into impact.by storing the wrist cock till the end and using their forward pivot point with the hip turn which allows the arms to come along and snap at the end to explode into the ball

I'm better at demonstrations then explaining by words.Sorry if I confused anyone.
If I was allowed to post videos,I would so I could explain it better.
Many generate their power early on in the swing which causes deceleration .

Why cant you?

I was either watching the golf fix or maybe reading something online and it was talking about distance creates distance. And by that it was talking about distance between your hands and your ears as you swing. Create more distance between them to create more of a wide arc that will turn into more distance. So they say lol.

People can post videos on this site anytime they want. Heck we have entire threads with videos and a youtube button. As long as they are not linked back to other sites promoting goods or services.

Some people have asked to post video series documenting teaching strategies. We have a teaching pro on here that is available anytime, that is someone that we have worked with and has helped hundreds of THP members and works everyday as an instructor. Therefore we did not feel it was necessary to have someone else provide teaching videos promoting themselves and their business.

I was either watching the golf fix or maybe reading something online and it was talking about distance creates distance. And by that it was talking about distance between your hands and your ears as you swing. Create more distance between them to create more of a wide arc that will turn into more distance. So they say lol.

this adds to my theory that taller guys with the right technique can hit the ball longer than shorter guys with the right technique

this adds to my theory that taller guys with the right technique can hit the ball longer than shorter guys with the right technique

Then what about Jamie Sadlowski ? he isn't exactly the tallest guy involved in Remax Long drive,but can sure pound it. Yes, by theory taller folks can generate more club head speed,but it isn't always the case.

I am not over weight but I am just short for my weight. So in your theory Russ does that mean if I lost 20-50 pounds I would hit the ball further?

I am not over weight but I am just short for my weight. So in your theory Russ does that mean if I lost 20-50 pounds I would hit the ball further?

It's very possible, I'm pretty sure my increasing girth is decreasing my distance.

hmmm lose weight and possibly the nickname white rhino ( no such thing as a skinny rhino..lol ) or possibly gain distance? hmm decisions decisions

maybe by wearing kiss like platform shoes... the kind with gold fish swimming in them... would definately scream long baller... but before attempting this experiment... take lots of vids

maybe by wearing kiss like platform shoes... the kind with gold fish swimming in them... would definately scream long baller... but before attempting this experiment... take lots of vids

Tried that this past weekend.. did not work, fell down on the 7th hole and broke the camera, fish managed to jump into a pond close by they are safe

While, obviously, it not necessary that a long-bomber be tall, being tall should make it easier to increase swing speed. Most people of above-average height also have above-average arm length. All other things being equal, a longer-armed individual should have a wider arc in their swing than a shorter-arm person. Thus, if the turn of the core is the same, then the longer-armed person's clubhead would be moving at higher speed (e.g., two dots on a record). Of course, there are so many other variables that one must take into account, but simply having longer arms should give that person one more piece in the arsenal to increase club speed and distance.

Tried that this past weekend.. did not work, fell down on the 7th hole and broke the camera, fish managed to jump into a pond close by they are safe

as long as the fish are safe...

sadlowski is just a freak of nature... if i swung out of my shoes on every drive like he does... id have to be extremely lucky with my timing to even make contact with teh ball

Swinging harder is not the answer, unless the question is how do I create one big slice. LOL

Maybe being tall helps you a little bit, but me being 5'9", I have tour length (but no where NEAR tour accuracy :sad:) and it's more so because I can create an insane hip turn. (yah, this is the internet, so I have no credibility), but, when I watch other people swing, that's probably the biggest difference I notice. They can't turn back anywhere near as far as I can...

I believe based on my research/efforts/etc. that this along with Lefty's comment about timing are the keys (timing perhaps being more important). I've read a study that "proved" that swing speeds were higher with a 3/4 turn than a full turn, so I'm not sure the science supports trying to turn and turn and turn at the risk of damaging your back when the key is a big arc and timing.

Heard a great drill on the Golf Fix for getting that distance between your ear and your hands at the top of the backswing... Using only your right hand make a backswing as if you were going to play golf one handed and stop at "the top" (what would be the top if you only had the one arm). You will naturally take the club very wide (vs. collapsing your right elbow as in a 2 handed swing) as that's the only way to get power 1 handed. Now without moving the club reach back with your left hand and complete the grip. You will be surprised to find it's a long reach. First time I did this I felt new (tight) muscles I didn't even know I had in my back, shoulders, and thighs, and I'm pretty flexible. It was immediately apparent that I am nowhere near as limber as I should be and that that tightness is causing me to collapse my right elbow to make it easier for my body to turn. Of course, in doing that, I've decreased my arc size losing clubhead speed and increased the likelihood for inconsistent contact.

Hope this makes some sense - I tried...:confused2:

for me it's a wide arc, good shoulder/hip turn, and a smooth and easy swing

Swinging harder is not the answer, unless the question is how do I create one big slice. LOL

sadlowski swings hard... he definately looks like hes sharting on every swing... he doesnt have that ernie els/freddie couples smoothness to his swing... even in slow mo his swing looks violent... lol

Then what about Jamie Sadlowski ? he isn't exactly the tallest guy involved in Remax Long drive,but can sure pound it. Yes, by theory taller folks can generate more club head speed,but it isn't always the case.

Jamie can pound the ever-loving crap out of the ball becuase he can twist himself amost all the way around. There was an article in Golf Digest a couple months ago highlighting how far he can turn himself. They had a 3D graphic of a average golfer, average Tour Pro, and Jamie showing where there shoulders and club shaft are at the apex of their swings. This is the link to the article.

http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/2010-04/jamie-sadlowski-swing

I found it pretty interesting.

Back