When did winter become so dramatic

emart2173

#journey2017
Reaction score
Handicap
Winter no longer can be just winter. We went from snow and regular winter to now calling it winter vortex. "Winter storms" now have names.

Have we we become that much of a dramatic and wimpy society?

Winter no longer can be just winter. We went from snow and regular winter to now calling it winter vortex. "Winter storms" now have names.

Yes...

Sure have...

it's all a money thing............weather is made by television to seem worse than it is to get us to stock up on groceries, gas, water, bread etc.

I think the North East might have a different feeling right about now...

And I don't really think it has anything to do with society. It's the weather people. What else are they possibly going to talk about? I'm certainly not naming winter storms. Are you?

Winter has gotten worse and worse over the years. Areas outside of tropical or arid climates have longer and longer winters. Used to be a month of cool weather in Florida. Now it's a couple months

Hell, weather channel started naming winter storms, much to the chagrin of the National Weather service, as a marketing/social media plan. Absolutely pathetic

Winter has gotten worse and worse over the years. Areas outside of tropical or arid climates have longer and longer winters. Used to be a month of cool weather in Florida. Now it's a couple months
Here in the Ozarks winters were worse when I was a kid. the winter was longer and colder back then.
But one day of winter is to much for me.... I want some El Nino winters back :)

Here in the Ozarks winters were worse when I was a kid. the winter was longer and colder back then.
But one day of winter is to much for me.... I want some El Nino winters back :)

I agree. I live where I grew up and 10 inch snows used to happen every winter. Sometimes multiple times. Now it is a rarity. Still gets cold, but there is less snow. And kids get out of school for winter reasons than we ever did! If we got double digit snow we MIGHT get the day off. Now school gets cancelled for cold. Really? Cold? Last I checked, classes were inside.

Definitely agree Smalls. These days, kids even get out because of excessive cold around here. No snow sometimes, just too cold to go to school. What is THAT?

When there is snow/ice, they close everything. I think maybe fear of litigation maybe? I don't know, but we sure are more timid as a society when it comes to winter weather it seems, and it is very much over dramatized in my opinion too.

JM

I agree. I live where I grew up and 10 inch snows used to happen every winter. Sometimes multiple times. Now it is a rarity. Still gets cold, but there is less snow. And kids get out of school for winter reasons than we ever did! If we got double digit snow we MIGHT get the day off. Now school gets cancelled for cold. Really? Cold? Last I checked, classes were inside.

This is perfect for the point. Growing up in buffalo and going to school in the late 70s-early 90s I never had an a official snow day. Now they don't want kids outside waiting for the bus because it's too cold.

freddie it's not about the length of winter just the overdramatizing of what winter is. Every time we turn around there is a new name for what used to just be bad weather during winter from Nov thru Feb/March.

I believe it all started when The Weather Channel became part of the NBC family. I agree it has to do with marketing and drawing in audiences.

Don't get me started on the school cancellations, heck we cancel now because it might snow. I remember standing at the bus stop in zero degree weather and 6 inches of snow on the ground.
I think Bubba the love sponge said it correct "The pussification of america"

yes we have become a society that loves/focuses on drama and the tv networks feed on that and if they give a snow storm a name they can create drama with it which brings viewers and that in turn creates numbers that turns into money. It's all about the all mighty $$$ and that is made by creating drama unfortunately, plus they have to have something to talk about with these 24/7 news stations so crap has to be made up.

I can handle cold, I can handle snow... just not extremes of both for days and weeks on end (yes I know it's winter but this year has been RIDICULOUS)

I was just having this discussion with my wife as the local schools here were closed Tues-Fri. We did get 8 inches on Monday night, so i can see Tuesday no school, maybe even Weds. By by Friday even back roads were clear, but it was 5 degrees outside. My wife said it's too cold for kids to wait for school buses or walk to school. Man do i remember standing outside waiting for the bus and walking to school in piercing cold with biting wind and not being able to feel my face and tears trying to roll down your eyes if they weren't frozen... But now I don't know if kids are just being coddled more in today's age, r if I've become that crotchety old man we used to joke about when we were kids about walking to school in 3 feet of snow uphill both ways

I've thought this exact thing for a while now. I remember not getting a snow day unless it was snowing more than a foot coming down between the hours of 5-8am where buses might get stuck and that was once maybe twice a year. Never had off because it's too cold. It's not just with weather in our society though, it's with everything. We are turning into a soft society all around.

They delayed schools two hours in greenville all week because the temp was in the teens. I remember walking to school in blizzards when I lived in milwaukee. It basically took 8 feet of snow to close schools

I will also add when they did close school because of snow you didn't stay inside....you went outside and played all day in the snow!

I also hate hate hate catch phrases like "snowmeggedon"

The only schools in buffalo that were cancelled were the catholic schools be caused they all walked.

same here Freddie, many days we woke up to 6+" of snow, frozen snow and everything in between and still went to school because the main streets were plowed to blacktop by 6am and the side streets had been plowed enough to drive on

There's a lot of reminiscing in this thread.

Remember when cigarettes were good for you and marketed by doctors?

Remember when cars didn't need seat belts, and then when cars only needed lap belts?

Similarly, I think we've realized that having kids stand outside waiting for the school bus when it's well below freezing isn't particularly healthy for them.

If the three above things are our country becoming "wussies," so be it.

I'll try to stay off of everyone's lawn. :alien:

There's a lot of reminiscing in this thread.

Remember when cigarettes were good for you and marketed by doctors?

Remember when cars didn't need seat belts, and then when cars only needed lap belts?

Similarly, I think we've realized that having kids stand outside waiting for the school bus when it's well below freezing isn't particularly healthy for them.

If the three above things are our country becoming "wussies," so be it.

I'll try to stay off of everyone's lawn. :alien:

But they make insulated coats, gloves, boots and hats to project you from cold. I get it when it's -30 but anything -9 and warmer I'm sorry suck it up and get out there kids.

We have had a rough winter locally.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1424551162235.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1424551162235.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 0
I'm just glad I moved from the NY/NJ area to the warmer climates of the desert.

Stay warm my friends.

Yes. And I'm currently in the middle of the "Siberian express"

Just shows how dumbed down we have become as humans.

Back