Arccos Golf GPS Stat Tracking System Review

Ward - does the phone need to be on you at all times when you are using this system? For example let's say you are in a cart and a hole is cart path only, do you bring you phone out to the ball location or can you leave it in the cart will it still pick up the shot?

Thanks in advance for your feedback. Love your write-up.

Great updates, Ward. I love the stats and feedback it provides.

Ward - does the phone need to be on you at all times when you are using this system? For example let's say you are in a cart and a hole is cart path only, do you bring you phone out to the ball location or can you leave it in the cart will it still pick up the shot?

Thanks in advance for your feedback. Love your write-up.

Gotta bring the phone with you for it to be accurate. First hole, I left my phone in the cart and went to bump a wedge through the fringe and it thought I missed the green way right and on the cart path.

Phone in back pocket or a foot or two away from you on the ground/towel and you're good to go

Just picked it up

93c4ad65fb75fcb28a183ae7b704fb1d.jpg

were you able to remove those punch outs from your average club distances? my guess is no during the round but yes after??

were you able to remove those punch outs from your average club distances? my guess is no during the round but yes after??

If I remove the punch out I'd be removing a shot from the round. That wouldn't go so well. There is a feature that lets me remove the round from being used to calculate distances though.

Next round I will mess with that feature and do a little before and after

I am really wanting one of these. Fun little tool/toy.

For you guys on Android, check this out:

https://www.golfpadgps.com/tags

It's a hybrid of Game Golf and Arccos, for Android only. It uses NFC tags like Game Golf, but you tap your clubs to your phone instead of the belt clip thingy. $99 is a heck of a good price point, assuming you have a compatible phone.
I was looking at this as well. I had a hard time finding an in depth review of the system. The reviews on the play store for the app are very positive.

Amazing how easy it is to setup. I'm about to head to the airport and out of the box and paired was under 7 minutes.

Arccos makes me wish I had a iPhone :act-up:

If I remove the punch out I'd be removing a shot from the round. That wouldn't go so well. There is a feature that lets me remove the round from being used to calculate distances though.

This is one area where I like the game golf set up, because you can create a separate tag just for punch/chip shots so it does not throw off your overall distances.

Penglynns,

The system automatically recognizes chips and short pitches and excludes them from distance and approach calculations. A punch or recovery shot can be excluded easily, so you don't need an extra sensor.

Mward, did you notice the sensors at all?

Thanks and I look forward to seeing how you progress with the system (and jealous that you can play outside already).

Steve

Penglynns,

The system automatically recognizes chips and short pitches and excludes them from distance and approach calculations. A punch or recovery shot can be excluded easily, so you don't need an extra sensor.

Mward, did you notice the sensors at all?

Thanks and I look forward to seeing how you progress with the system (and jealous that you can play outside already).

Steve

Did not know the bolded, that's awesome.

The only time I noticed the sensor was when I'd accidentally grip it thinking it was the butt of the club. Other than that, really didn't know it was there.

Thanks,

I gripped the sensor at first too, but quickly accounted for it.

The system even excluded some obvious recovery shots, but that didn't seem to be consistent. Pitches and chips were though.

I used an iPad Mini for my initial use, and sometimes forgot it in my bag -- those produced some weird results and had to be edited. I got an old iPhone 4s (was free) and will use it pretty much just for this. The data was extremely useful to my Teaching Pro in identifying possible ways ahead.

Got the sensors out and attached them to the clubs hoping to play today, but instead of good weather it snowed :banghead: this morning. I'll go play on the sim tomorrow and hope for next weekend.

You can unhighlight the shot to tell Arccos you don't want the shot calculated into you distance average. This would be done post round so the shot will still count for score.

My question is...are they worth the value?

Quick question for the owners. If you are using the system and take a gimme (tap-in) do you touch anything to advance to the next hole or does it automatically sense you are on the next hole. Spoke to someone on the plane today that has the system and he said he always taps his club on the ground first to register it's use.

Thanks

looks great so far wardy, love the stats of the round and average distances plus longest shots,

how was your battery life on your phone after the round? was remembering to grab your phone from the cart much of an annoyance?

My question is...are they worth the value?
That's really a personal question.

What you get for the $200 premium over GameGolf is never having to remember to tap your clubs against something before every shot. Arccos works hard to try to make their system transparent during your round, and you pay a premium for that because each club has to have sensors instead of just an RFID tag. If that transparency is important to you, it's worth it.

Shot tracking in general is worth $200 IMO. Not having to futz with the system very much is worth another $200, again IMO.

So just to add some additional experiences to this review thread...

Putter tracking isn't there yet. There's a new firmware that just got released for the putter sensor that I haven't applied yet, so maybe it's better. But I'm finding that I need to check my phone after every hole to make sure it got the putt count right, and it's only right about 40%-50% of the time. I tend to miss short putts, so when I go for that last tap-in it doesn't typically register. I do all the things you're supposed to do--turning my putter upside-down (shaft down), deliberately addressing the ball for a tap-in, etc. and it's still not always right. On the upside, it's one click to add a putt.

I also had a crazypants hole. I landed a shot maybe 20 yards off the green and I wasn't sure how I wanted to hit it. So I grabbed a few clubs out of my bag and walked over. Something I did made it register hits with *all* of those clubs from the same location--maybe I dropped them weird or something. I had to delete those shots (again easy to do, but it threw the scoring off until I did). That's the only time that has happened to me in 3 rounds using Arccos, so maybe it was just a fluke. Still, it's worth noting that it's not 100% perfect.

looks great so far wardy, love the stats of the round and average distances plus longest shots,

how was your battery life on your phone after the round? was remembering to grab your phone from the cart much of an annoyance?

I meant to comment on that but I was also taking work phone calls and THP'ing while the group in front of me took their precious sweet time. Unofficially, about 45% of a loss. It wouldn't seem quite as accurate to report it when I was waiting 7-8 minutes between shots.

Next round after the unofficial THP Tampa bay grouping, I'll track it with a little less battery killing activity (hopefully).

You should add the new update. I had zero issue with extra curricular club activity. It didn't do tap ins great but I didn't mind just clicking a button to fix it either.

You should add the new update. I had zero issue with extra curricular club activity. It didn't do tap ins great but I didn't mind just clicking a button to fix it either.
Thanks, I'll definitely do that before my next round.

I have 2.5 rounds on this so far and after being totaling confused on the first 9 yesterday today I really got into the groove with it and found it to be a great compliment to the round. I haven't dug into the stats too far as of yet but a few observations make me realize I'm not an internet golfer! I always thought I hit my driver short and I really do!! My driver guesstimate has always been 230 to 240 and through 2.5 rounds I'm averaging 244 yards, go figure! Once I have a good sample size I really believe the system will force more honesty into managing your way around the course, numbers don't lie - when it's inevitable, accept it!

Back