Callaway XR Irons - THP Review

Took my high school daughter to do a comparison with her Speedbladez. Also tried the XR Pros to see if those fit her better since she is a very solid ball striker, but not real long. Ended up ordering the XRs with the stock graphite shafts. She was consistently 5-8 yards longer than with her Speedbladez, hitting a nice mid trajectory draw. She had somewhat similar results with the Pros, but not quite as consistent, and a slightly lower flight than XRs. She liked them a lot, which is a big change for since she would not even consider Callaway irons previously.

Took my high school daughter to do a comparison with her Speedbladez. Also tried the XR Pros to see if those fit her better since she is a very solid ball striker, but not real long. Ended up ordering the XRs with the stock graphite shafts. She was consistently 5-8 yards longer than with her Speedbladez, hitting a nice mid trajectory draw. She had somewhat similar results with the Pros, but not quite as consistent, and a slightly lower flight than XRs. She liked them a lot, which is a big change for since she would not even consider Callaway irons previously.

Very nice Big Tex.

I honestly think we will start to see more stories like this, there is truly something to the 360 cup face....and I was initially a pessimist about it.

Very nice Big Tex.

I honestly think we will start to see more stories like this, there is truly something to the 360 cup face....and I was initially a pessimist about it.
With you on that, they have made some big strides in the last couple of years. My daughter would not consider anything Callaway at this point even a year ago. We did a driver fitting at that point, and she actually hit the X2 Hot slightly better than the Biocell Plus that we ended up getting. Mainly because of the color. (she is a girl) In December we corrected that and got an X2Hot driver, and getting an adapter today so she can put the Red Tie shaft she likes in it. Also picked up an X2 Hot 3 wood and hybrid last year. So after the new irons her entire bag except wedges and putter will be Callaway.

I absolutely love the design and graphics on these, by far my favorite looking GI iron.

Very nice Big Tex.

IMO the face cup tech on the Berthas didn't do it justice. When you bring out that tech on that big of a head, you're cutting out a very large group of golfers. In the club head size profiles of the XR and XR pro, you basically reach everyone other than people who want blades. More players will fit into and order the XR's, but tech like 360 face cup in the XR pros is really impressive with that profile.

IMO the face cup tech on the Berthas didn't do it justice. When you bring out that tech on that big of a head, you're cutting out a very large group of golfers. In the club head size profiles of the XR and XR pro, you basically reach everyone other than people who want blades. More players will fit into and order the XR's, but tech like 360 face cup in the XR pros is really impressive with that profile.

But the Berthas were MEANT to be SGI irons, not intended for every segment. The goal of those was a ton of tech to make the game more playable and enjoyable, and they definitely do that for a lot of people.

Even with these, the Berthas still serve an important place in their line and will still be picked up by many.

But the Berthas were MEANT to be SGI irons, not intended for every segment. The goal of those was a ton of tech to make the game more playable and enjoyable, and they definitely do that for a lot of people.

Even with these, the Berthas still serve an important place in their line and will still be picked up by many.

Oh no, absolutely agree, they were aimed at the right group. I'm just saying that because of that not a lot of people got to see first hand what the 360 face cup tech could do. Now with these people are seeing it, and in club heads the same size if not even more compact than what they currently play.

I played the G30's and XR's head to head today. 5 thru 7 the XR's hands down right now, 8-UW I'm seeing better results from the G30's. That is just 2 rounds however to sample. I really do like how any easy swing with the XR's is rewarded with a long and high ball flight. Using Accros today for the first time I can see that the XR's are at least 5 yards longer per club for me versus the G30 (granted different shafts), they just feel easier to get distance out of them.

I played the G30's and XR's head to head today. 5 thru 7 the XR's hands down right now, 8-UW I'm seeing better results from the G30's. That is just 2 rounds however to sample. I really do like how any easy swing with the XR's is rewarded with a long and high ball flight. Using Accros today for the first time I can see that the XR's are at least 5 yards longer per club for me versus the G30 (granted different shafts), they just feel easier to get distance out of them.
What weaknesses did you see in the 8,9,PW in the XRs?

What weaknesses did you see in the 8,9,PW in the XRs?

Probably not a struggle as much as the results were just better with the G30's in those irons. Pin seeker shots out of those clubs that let me score, I didn't score well with the same irons in the XR set - very much could be I'm just not as familiar with them. I've had the G30's in/out of the bag since August so you develop a cadence with the clubs that lets you hit with confidence.

I really need to stay out of this thread. I don't plan on buying new irons for this season but this thread is really tempting me.

I really need to stay out of this thread. I don't plan on buying new irons for this season but this thread is really tempting me.

Me too. I have no plans to buy irons, but I can't stop reading about these and the pros.

Played these again today and I have to give them a slight heads up over the Ping G30's so far. They are a fun club to hit when hit on the screws and when you don't quite get it on the sweetspot the results still keep you in the game. I don't think a bad call could be made on either iron but these are definitely getting my attention the more I hit them.

I hit the 7 iron today. I was only able to hit about 5 shots, but I really liked the feel. It both felt better to me and was 5 or so yards longer than the few shots I hit with the Rsi 2. I don't know that the shaft pairing was great for me though. The XR was 5-8 yards shorter than my Burner 2.0s with DG S300. I think it's a pretty good bet that it was a shaft issue because I saw the same thing with the stock shaft in the SpeedBlades and Apex a month or two ago. 10 or so yards shorter with the stock shafts than the S300 versions. So maybe the S300 just works for me. I'd really like to give these a try with some different shafts though. They really did feel great, but the place I was only had stock and no fitting cart.

I'm a fan of the stock option for what Callaway is trying to accomplish with off the shelf sets and the consumers who go that way. The SpeedStep 80 is stable enough that it will appeal to a lot of golfers in feel and the launch is very much in line with the needs of the biggest section of golfers out there. For the rest of us who are more finite about what we need (we are the minority), sure, there will be better options, which is why I love seeing the no cost options Callaway is going to , for these it is TourV 90, TourV, XP95's, and in graphite PX, Recoil 660/680, Recoil 460.

I keep coming back to time with these so far and that they WANT to go straight, there is something to be said for that. Callaway themselves talk about these as "middle of the green" irons, but with that said I have had ZERO issues turning a draw or a fade into a green so far.

Is anyone aware of any comparison photos between the regular XR irons and the XR Pro versions? It would be helpful for me to compare the size of club head and topline just to get a better idea of the size differences.

Is anyone aware of any comparison photos between the regular XR irons and the XR Pro versions? It would be helpful for me to compare the size of club head and topline just to get a better idea of the size differences.

Sorry Rob, I don't have any way to get those at the mo.

Maybe someone else can shoot a couple though if they head to a store sometime soon.

I'll say, I don't think these are "clunky" at all as some have mentioned, and I'm a pretty picky size guy.

Sorry Rob, I don't have any way to get those at the mo.

Maybe someone else can shoot a couple though if they head to a store sometime soon.

I'll say, I don't think these are "clunky" at all as some have mentioned, and I'm a pretty picky size guy.

Thanks James, I wasn't trying to add to your "to do" list. I haven't yet been able to see either of these new Callaway irons as my local shops don't have them on display.

Thanks James, I wasn't trying to add to your "to do" list. I haven't yet been able to see either of these new Callaway irons as my local shops don't have them on display.

Oh I now buddy, I wish I had access to both, I really want to see them side by side myself.

Finally got to hit these today at DSG. I don't trust their sim numbers at all, but I will say that the ball felt like it was just jumping off the face. I was hitting to the right with these which is a bit odd since they were pushes, not fades. But again, DSG sim, so... Love the grips on these. Very comfy to my hands in the short time I was hitting them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've demoed these about 4 or 5 times at golfsmith. I absolutely love them. The only thing holding me back right now is getting professionally fit this spring. These are definitely on the top of my list. They are just so easy to hit straight for me.

I tried the Regular XR's and XR Pros several times. I was desiring more forgiveness so went regular XR's. I saw little difference in distance between the two. Acute elbow tendinitis has prevented me from swinging for several weeks and I definitely wanted graphite shafts and even though the Project X performed nicely, I really wanted Recoils. Did not get along with the 660's. available for demo. After some emails and phone calls to UST whom I must say are tremendous in providing input and assistance, I custom ordered with Recoil 95's. I winced at the up charge and hope they are worth it. First time ordering clubs without being able to hit the exact club ordered. Should receive in about 2 weeks. Fingers crossed!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I tried the Regular XR's and XR Pros several times. I was desiring more forgiveness so went regular XR's. I saw little difference in distance between the two. Acute elbow tendinitis has prevented me from swinging for several weeks and I definitely wanted graphite shafts and even though the Project X performed nicely, I really wanted Recoils. Did not get along with the 660's. available for demo. After some emails and phone calls to UST whom I must say are tremendous in providing input and assistance, I custom ordered with Recoil 95's. I winced at the up charge and hope they are worth it. First time ordering clubs without being able to hit the exact club ordered. Should receive in about 2 weeks. Fingers crossed!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They are great shafts, $55/shaft upcharge is big but they are like butter and very stable.

I've demoed these about 4 or 5 times at golfsmith. I absolutely love them. The only thing holding me back right now is getting professionally fit this spring. These are definitely on the top of my list. They are just so easy to hit straight for me.
How much better are they than your burners??

They look really good but man I didn't realize how chunky they really are until those pics. They remind me of the RBZ 4i and 5i, real beefy.

Back