I enjoy playing my own ball as well, so one man scrambles and such are fun, but anything with "The Right Team" can turn in to an all out blast. I've played in tourneys where the team just didn't mix well that turned into a long day and others that were so much fun we didn't want it to end.

Tie between 4 Ball and Alternate Shot

1. 4 Ball
2. Scramble

To be totally honest, one of the primary reasons I joined THP was to have a chance to play these types of formats. I've only had an opportunity to play scrambles several times and an alternate shot only once.
They all sound like they would be a blast! Very excited for my first Bridgestone next month!
As of now I'd pick alternate shot for the strategy. Pinehurst sounds fun too.

I really enjoyed alt shot as tough as it was to get figured out. I like all the different formats really though so anything is fun for me.

Shamble, Best Ball, and [modified] Pinehurst are all my favorites for different reasons. They all seem to alleviate some of the pressure off the tee and you rely on your partner for a number of reasons in different situations.

Alt shot is a great format and punishing as well... especially if you are paired up with someone totally different than you. We have this in our member guest championship shootout. 17 flight winners, alt shot. My father and I won with a net -3 and the team in last was net +27... over 6 holes...
First time in the history of the event that a team was net under par as well... over 20 years

I'm not a big fan of alt-shot but not entirely because of the format it presents.. It's a necessary beast, however there's nothing worse than going a handful of holes without hitting a full shot in some cases. Just super hard to stay in the groove.

When the handicaps are in place, best ball is a ton of fun - Or even a shamble/bramble. The low cap can play smart and go for pars or green light after a quality shot from the higher cap.

When players are of the same skill level, I enjoy scramble a lot. Adds a lot of teamwork and discussion during the round, and with a similar skill level in play, brings out a ton of high quality golf shots.

My favorite is probably modified Pinehurst - I love the alternate shot aspect, but it also gives everybody a chance to hit a decent tee shot, which is important especially when playing with higher cappers.

I also really like matchplay foursomes (2v2 scramble).

Big fan of the 4Ball and individual formats

I only have experience with best ball and match play formats. I would like to try the stableford format one day though......

Singles match play and alternate shot.

So which format is the fairest in a competition when pairing up teams with what could be large discrepancies in handicaps? Which one levels the playing field the best?

So which format is the fairest in a competition when pairing up teams with what could be large discrepancies in handicaps? Which one levels the playing field the best?

With or without handicap?

Lots of formats to like. I'll go top 3 for me: 4-ball, Modified Pinehurst, Shamble.

I'm not sure I have one. With the right attitude and people they are all great (at least the ones I've played; I assume the others are, too).

Not scramble is my favorite. AS, 4 Ball and Individual. Never played Pinehurst

Out of all of those I'd say Pinehurst or shamble, they're just so much fun! But there is something about Alternate Shot for a very competitive event that is a perfect format to compete in.

I like playing my own ball, so singles and 4ball would be my first choice.

I also like the shamble format where you take the best drive between you and your partner, and then play your own ball the rest of the way in.

I'll second this, it sums me up perfectly.

I would argue scramble is worse.

Agreed, don't like scramble, kills my rhythm every time.

I actually like 2 man best ball, or singles. Have yet to play alternate shot but would love to try it out. Shamble is fun, especially when your partner is Gregdan and you get to hit your 2nd shot from wherever he bombs it to!

I like singles and 4 ball. I've always thought Greensomes looked fun to try out.

I had to google what Pinehurst format was. It sounds like fun I also like 2 and 4 man scrambles and 4 ball.

The more I think of it I like anything but alternate shot.

Ummmm, ryder cup? I want it all! Otherwise, I'd have to say that I have the most fun during alternate shot (which may seem to strange to a lot of people).

~Rock

I would argue scramble is worse.

They do suck I have to play in one every year for my company they seem to easy to cheat during

Back