Ever split or broken a ball?

SaffaClint

Reaction score
Handicap
+2.3
A few months ago I was playing a links course and teed off on a hole where you have to carry the ball over the ocean and cliffs. I crushed my drive but the ball felt weird at impact and then a second later I looked up to see the ball split clean in half and both halves went over the cliff. I thought it was weird but didn't think anything more of it, until today.
I teed off on our signature hole, hit driver and the ball split, again!!! The tee is hugely elevated with a carry over trees/bush and both halves disappeared into it. The weird thing is both balls are part of the same box of Bridgestone B330's I bought a while back. I've sent an email to bridgestone but don't expect anything back?

I have split about 3 balls open, a couple of W/S Duo's and an FG Tour. They definitely don't fly properly when hit haha.

Such a weird feeling! Lol. Slightly annoying that a nz$6 ball splits in half in the first place.

I have had pinnacles do that when I first started out. Being a rookie I went out and bought them not knowing much about golf, it was like hitting rocks. After a while I cracked a couple open during the round. It doesn't help they were landing on frozen greens to boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah. the FG tour was a bit more expensive though. I still have the very first one I split and wrote the date on it and put it in my display cabinet, id never seen it before so wanted to keep it.

I've had two in the past two months :(

A battered Titleist NXT Tour split, but with a hybrid from the tee on the 9th of our harder loop. Did manage to get over the water luckily.
Callaway SuperSoft (new ball!) split on a hit from the fairway with my 4wood, made a strange noise, lost part of its cover and dived to the right into the water. Shame that I couldn't retrieve it, had only used it a couple holes.

With older balls, heavily used ones I don't really mind. But new balls shouldn't. Even when it's cold out, below freezing.

Edit: both happened while playing with the same friend. I've seen him split three balls in the the past year, all ProV1x's..

What the actual ruling if you hit a ball and it splits? Is it still a stroke?

No, you drop a ball as close as possible to where you hit the ball from and play with no penalty.

I have had older well worn balls separate during impact, usually cheap,very worn Topflites. But, most were in real cold weather ( 35+deg.)after getting them out of very cold water.

The past few years I have seen a few down in ditches in front of tee boxes and just thought they were hit by mowers. Maybe some of those came apart when hit.

On a new ball, especially 2 from same batch, it must be a manufacturing defect.

Jack

Yes. It was a solid piece range ball though. I'm not sure if it counts

I have and it was weird to hit a slice and a hook on the same shot.

I've broken wound balls before. Not the new stuff.

I saw JRod knock the cover off a ball.
I'm not sure how it happened, it's not like he hits it hard.

I've never had that happen which is a little odd since I hit only found balls when I was a kid.

Playing on the sims this winter we use the ball they provide to us. Its supposed to be a Callaway with a surlyn cover. The owner gets them from Aboutgolf and they come with these tic marks that help the sensors pick up spin.

So we use the same ball, all four golfers, and have split several balls. The owner says they usually get to rounds our of a ball, obviously depending on how hard the players are swinging.

never split on on club contact, but did break one once on contact with a tree.

I cracked a ball, it was OLD, but never actually split the ball. Probably cause I don't hit the ball very hard.

I split 1 ball in my life. It was a month ago with a 4 iron. The ball was a Titech so I dont think that counts lol

I cracked a Callaway SR3 last year at the THP Invitational at The Fort. No idea how I did it as I don't put an incredibly strong move on the ball but after my drive I saw a nice crack.

e3ca8530fa8db7e19b61e7eb45af76c5.jpg

I've done it with a SR2.
20140508_142744.jpg

Most definitely

87d43af86c183409c5d6d71fca491ba6.jpg

Use to cut balls in the old days with old blade irons, but I have never had a "modern" ball come apart or seen one split like that one. I'd guess there is going to be a flawed ball in the batch now and then when they are making them by the thousands and thousands.

Nope Never split a ball. Unless using a saw counts....

Cracked golf ball.jpg

Here is one I took out of ice cold water in a pond. It rode on the dash of the cart for a few minutes. As you can see it is a Titleist.

Jack

Only split a ball after it hit say tree, cart path, rock, and house

Back