Srixon Z 545 Irons Preview

I thought about just playing these as is after the new shafts are instaled, but decided that was a bad idea. Going to try and get a fitting scheduled for early next week.
Had mine built to 1/2 degree flat to match what my Mizunos were. Want to get on a lie board in the near future to see if those lies are still optimal for me.
I

Recoil 95s are on their way and should be here by end of the week, so I'll have the new shafts in them and lie angles adjusted and ready to rock by middle of next week. Cannot freaking wait to get these in the bag with the new UST shafts!!
Where are you getting the shaft work done Cace?

+1" and 2* up is what I was fit to for the majority of fittings in my life. Interesting that someone else out there is 3 1/2* -4*upright, overall, as well.

Well that makes three of us!!

Guess I should keep an eye open for any times from you guys in the Market Place

1 lesson, a few range sessions and 3 rounds in and this honeymoon is continuing. I'm not sure if the swing changes we have been working on are the cause or the clubs. I am seeing a lot better distances with the 545's both on the range and even more importantly on the course. The confidence they give me is inspiring. I've seen some crazy forgiving shots out of bunkers that have no right ending up where they have. I am confidently a club longer, my Apex 8 iron was my goto for 120 yards, the 545 8 iron is now my 140 - 145 yard club. Considering they are the same loft the extra yardage is very welcome. This is appearing to be a trend throughout the set.

I have the Nippon 980 shafts in them in regular flex and they are giving me a really nice high ball flight. Previously I have not been able to get that high a launch with drop and stop on the greens. I've yet to put the 4 iron that came with the set in play, however after using the 5 iron several times now I think it needs a chance. Hopefully over the coming months I might get my handicap moving downwards.

Been a bit of a crazy week with trying to get our heating sorted out at home, so I haven't had a chance to place my order for these yet, but once we get back from visiting the kids at the weekend, I am intending to place my order on Monday next week

Weather is warming up...4 iron off the tee box...223 yards. Was the wind at my back MAYYYYbe but WHO CARES lol. I had to shoot the yardage from the ball to the tee box and ran back to it to confirm because I did not believe it. I've only hit it 215 max on a LM. I've been working on my game a lot this past month getting ready for #TheKing and I've added some SS and my impact position. So most of my shots have been towards the toe and now that I'm making more consistent impact in the center of the face with a smooth transition, the 545s remind me everytime it was well worth buying just one more set :).

Side note, I had almost given up on the 4 iron, buying a 4 hybrid because I had zero confidence with it and never dared hitting it off the tee. Now I look forward to it.

Edit: the guy I was playing with didn't believe it was a 4 iron until I showed him I didn't have a 3 iron in the bag lol. Needless to say he's scheduled a fitting at my local shop for a set of 545s.

I can't wait to get my irons back on grass. Since cutting them down, I've been hitting the ball much better at the range. A bit more consistent, and they just feel "right" at address. I think I was finding myself a little too upright, which was screwing up my whole swing. I'm still toying with moving a bit more in the SGI direction, but waiting to make any sort of decision on that until halfway through the season or so. These might be the best all-around irons I've ever played, and even if I do go super chunky, they're going nowhere.

I did my first time ever irons fitting, ended up with a set of Z545 with stiff NS Pro 980.

It was a bit of a surprise because I was looking into the SGI category, but the fitter 'saw through' my swing and handed me the Z545. Suddenly it was like the heavens opened up and angels came down singing, it was that good of a difference in terms of feel.

I was hitting the Callaway XR about a club longer, but everything else (especially feel and consistency) felt short. I'm so excited, about a week more to go before I can get my grubby hands on them!

I did my first time ever irons fitting, ended up with a set of Z545 with stiff NS Pro 980.

It was a bit of a surprise because I was looking into the SGI category, but the fitter 'saw through' my swing and handed me the Z545. Suddenly it was like the heavens opened up and angels came down singing, it was that good of a difference in terms of feel.

I was hitting the Callaway XR about a club longer, but everything else (especially feel and consistency) felt short. I'm so excited, about a week more to go before I can get my grubby hands on them!

Congrats and enjoy the masterpieces!

Got some time in with the 545s this afternoon.

When I'm swinging halfway decent, these things are sick. Such a satisfying thwack at impact.

Got some time in with the 545s this afternoon.

When I'm swinging halfway decent, these things are sick. Such a satisfying thwack at impact.
How do you like these compared to your Wilson's?

How do you like these compared to your Wilson's?
If I had to pick a set to play with exclusively right now, it would be a very hard decision. Both are considerably longer than any irons i've ever played. The D200s will mask swing flaws better & provide a larger sweet spot, but the turf interaction of the 545s can't be beat & they're pretty darn forgiving themselves.

If I had to pick a set to play with exclusively right now, it would be a very hard decision. Both are considerably longer than any irons i've ever played. The D200s will mask swing flaws better & provide a larger sweet spot, but the turf interaction of the 545s can't be beat & they're pretty darn forgiving themselves.
Thanks man. I've been questioning wether I need irons with more forgiveness. But I think most issues are my fault not the club. Really loved them tonight.

How are you liking those Nippon shafts? Still thinking of swapping them out for CTLs?
I think I'm going to keep the Nippons in them for a while. The main reason I was considering putting the CTLs in them was to lower the trajectory. I launch these into the stratosphere, but it doesn't appear that its costing me distance.

I think I'm going to keep the Nippons in them for a while. The main reason I was considering putting the CTLs in them was to lower the trajectory. I launch these into the stratosphere, but it doesn't appear that its costing me distance.
Put some KBS Tours in those bad boys!

My order is placed for these as per my fitting that I posted just over a week ago - can't wait to get them in the bag

My order is placed for these as per my fitting that I posted just over a week ago - can't wait to get them in the bag

what kind of turn around time are you looking at?

so i had these on the course for the second time yesterday and between these clubs and the work i have been putting in on the swing...let me just say that i am in love with these irons. They performed very well for me yesterday in some windy conditions.

Other than some a few bad swings i made these irons were flat out amazing. Into the wind they held their lines well and had no ballooning effects. We had a par 3 that was playing 157 with a strong wind from right to left with a front left pin. I took a 7i hit aimed out to the right a good distance put a smooth swing on the ball and hit it on my target, and the wind moved the ball back to the left it landed softly on the green and rolled to about 6-8' from the pin.

I had a shot that was 187 into the wind. I hit my 4i(omg this is such an easy club to hit) flew the ball on target and landed pin high about 7'. T2GRN18 commented that at first he didn't think the ball was going to get there but then just kept going.

i hit most shots in the center of the face but there were a few that were hit off the heel or out towards the toe and the forgiveness was impressive...small amount of distance loss but nothing drastic and the ball maintained the line it was hit on and ball flight didn't change much compared to a well struck shot.

what kind of turn around time are you looking at?

I was about to reply to say I wasn't sure but then got an email from the pro to ask a couple further questions so I have asked him and he has said to work on 2 weeks, so if that pans out I should have these before the end of April at the very worst

I'm ready to go now. Shafts replaced, new grips installed, loft and lie has been adjusted. Let's play some golf.
There is also a 3i with this set, but I lent it out to someone to see if they want to add one to their bag.
View attachment 19420
View attachment 19421

Sweet looking sticks Eddie! The green ferrules and grips look awesome. Hit 'em well buddy!

How many of us will have these in play in TX this weekend?

Afwcardinal
Cookie
MikeG
Shakey

Anyone else?

Afwcardinal
Cookie
MikeG
Shakey

Anyone else?

Nate has the 745's ( I know not the 545's, but still Z series)

Afwcardinal
Cookie
MikeG
Shakey

Anyone else?

I will. Plus the driver.

Back