Support Your Local Golf Store, Please

coughlin03

Reaction score
Orland Park, IL Golf Capitol of the World
Handicap
Bought a Super Fast Driver today! Woo Hoo:banana:

Yesterday I demoed a few clubs at a local pro shop at my local driving range. White Mountain Pro Shop in Orland Park, IL.

Orland Park claims to be the golf capital of the world. It's on the water towers, "Golf Capital Of The World"

I did not buy yesterday because I wanted to do some research and bring in some old clubs for trade in. Decided to stop at Dick's and Golf Galaxy. Nobody waited on me! At either store. I even to full swings in mid isle. They saw me. I look like I want to buy stuff. Wear expensive clothes, drive a BMW in case they would have watched me pull up.

So I went back to White Mountain. Traded 3 old clubs for $85. Got 10% off the Super Fast. $250 - 10%. Had a gift card for $100 :clapp:

AND, then I realized why I like my local pro shop. The owner remembers what I bought over the years, is a pretty good golfer, not a teenager or a housewife working the sales floor, AND I get to demo clubs there on a range with grass tees WHENEVER I want to!

I asked my guy about getting the TP over the regular Super Fast. He knows my game and watches be on the range occasionally and we agreed that I do not need more open, 3 degrees, that the TP provides.

He had the best price on top of the best services. I asked about the concern over the Winn grip wearing out. He told me he will re grip my driver free anytime within the next year. Worn out or not.

So, Support Your Local Golf Store, Please!

I buy anything I get from the local pro shops. Over time they get to know you a little and are more inclined to cut deals and let you demo items on the course or the grass range. I don't even step into the box stores anymore.

i usually do! good luck with the new stick, sounds like you conducted your business in the right place.

Orland Park claims to be the golf capital of the world. It's on the water towers, "Golf Capital Of The World"

Congrats on the new driver.

Why is this? Who gave it this moniker and why?

Used to have the most golf holes per capita. But not anymore:

http://www.golfillinois.com/departments/features/orland-park-golf-214.htm

orland-park-water-tower.jpg

Good question. We do have a lot of course, golf shops and golfers. Cog Hill is 3 miles West of Orland. When you play Silver Lakes North Course and get to # 3 tee box, look behind you and up and you will see it on the water tower. Great place to live, except in the winter.

BTW, I picked the Super Fast based on reviews here, the driver shoot out and the demo, so thanks to all here!

I would think the golf capital of the world would be Orlando, FL now and surrounding areas. TOo many BIG cogs in the golf wheel located there and around there. Not to mention the sheer amount of courses.

I think I read in a magazine on a plane that the San Francisco area has the most courses per capita now. I'll see if I can find it.

You learn something new every day, even when it's under your nose. If only there was an internet of information that one could access random information from. Like a web.....

Congrats again on the club. Keep us updated on how it is working outl

I usually buy from my local Edwin Watts. My guy has fitted me with nearly every set of clubs I have owned. I may shop at the other other stores but when it is time to make a purchase 90% of the time it is with him. I can go in an chat with him and he knows my game. All the sales persons do and they really look out for me. Granted I have dropped a lot of coin there but to me it has been worth b/c each visit is like a golf lesson. I always pick up something new for my golf game. He has even flat out told me I dont need a certain club or a set of particular clubs. He does not try to sell me anything but recommends what we believe is best for the my game.

That's what I talkin about! My guy is the same way.

I usually buy from my local Edwin Watts. My guy has fitted me with nearly every set of clubs I have owned. I may shop at the other other stores but when it is time to make a purchase 90% of the time it is with him. I can go in an chat with him and he knows my game. All the sales persons do and they really look out for me. Granted I have dropped a lot of coin there but to me it has been worth b/c each visit is like a golf lesson. I always pick up something new for my golf game. He has even flat out told me I dont need a certain club or a set of particular clubs. He does not try to sell me anything but recommends what we believe is best for the my game.

Sorry you had a bad experience, the Dick's here has awesome customer service. I have always been treated well there. The local Golf shop however is a bit different. The guy there is a real prick so I shy away. I don't have a beamer though so maybe thats why he doesn't bother with me.

I have shopped at Edwin watts, and maybe it was because I was just a kid, but the club fitter was real nice, showed me a few sets, and recommended to my grandma what set to get me for Christmas. :)

congrats coughlin on the new club best of luck with it!

I really wish that there were more local golf stores. They all seem to be dwindling away. Our local store closed down this past month after being in business since 1991. It's a shame! Now, I have to drive at least an hour to look at gear!

That's funny! The guy at the pro shop does not know I have a BMW. I am just a poor kid from the south side of Chicago. Former caddy, steel worker, photographer and proud Hacker :alien2:

BTW, the best part of owning a BMW is getting into the BMW Chamionship at Cog Hill for free and getting back stage access, free food and booze, the BMW owners pavillion, BMW hole in one contest (I missed by less than a foot last year) and the BMW putting contest. You get to go to the where the players get their free food and drinks and mingle with them. Amazing golf bunnies. Poor Tiger. It must be hard for him to stay on his program. (Pun intended!)

Sorry you had a bad experience, the Dick's here has awesome customer service. I have always been treated well there. The local Golf shop however is a bit different. The guy there is a real prick so I shy away. I don't have a beamer though so maybe thats why he doesn't bother with me.

Back