Question on playing the game...

patcopaul

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi folks,
I'm new to the game. I've ben playing about 18 months. That said I play 3 or 4 times a week, I know, it's a hard life. My score is currently circling around 100 but I am improving.
The issue... I joined a Thursday night league for the first time and in my first competition I kicked butt, but, the way I did it has me a bit concerned. I played the par 4s as a par 5 and the par 5s as a par 6. I did this is by not even trying to hit the green on my second shot (or third on par 5s) but hitting a short iron and laying up. It worked, I had my best round ever.
My question... Am I slowing my progress by not hitting my longer clubs and even trying to reach the greens or am I right to just look at the score and let my long irons take care of themselves over time. I want to be a good competitor and the folks I'm playing against my deserve my best game but I want to improve my game as quickly as possible. To do that I should hit my longer clubs and play the game as it was intended.
What do you think?

Definitely not slowing your progress. In fact you are making good progress because you are learning course management. Over time, distance will increase, the swing will be more repeatable and you will be able to take more chances.

I say stick to your current plan until you have more confidence with your long game. You shot the best round ever, that tells you something. You're less likely to get into trouble with the shorter irons. You'll see improvement in your game by bettering your short game. Don't worry about what the other players think of how you got the score you did, in that format it's about getting points for your team.

Golf is so post to be enjoyable and by all accounts having your best round ever is a lot of fun. You are playing to your strengths and scoring well. The long irons will come. I would work on those clubs on the range. At first my 5 and 6 irons where my nemesis, now I have no issue pulling them. I have only been playing 4 years. Keep up the good work m

If you were able to reach all the GIR you'd be a scratch golfer, the fact remains here that your playing smart and scoring well when you do.

It took you in 18 months to learn what it took me about 18 years to learn...play smart.

Definitely not slowing your progress. In fact you are making good progress because you are learning course management. Over time, distance will increase, the swing will be more repeatable and you will be able to take more chances.
Could not agree more with this Josh. Course management is everything to me as I'm not long by any standards. Course management for me allows me to beat a lot of my friends regularly who absolutely murder the ball.

To the OP I firmly believe by doing this you're taking a lot of big numbers off the score card for yourself. Playing smart and hitting shots you're more comfortable hitting will put you in a spot to avoid the big numbers.

JB and Jimmy nailed it, keep doing what you're doing.

a friend of mine is currently taking lessons, as for now he isn't allowed to hit any woods/drivers. Just the path he has been put on. His iron game is improving quickly, as long as he doesn't try to hit long to stay with the group. When ever he puts the big boy pants on and hit the big sticks his numbers shoot up into the triple digits. Sticking to irons he can shoot a 95. We keep telling him to do as coach says and ignore us, it won't be long before he gets proper instruction to use driver/woods and at that time he'll be right there with us. It's 'smart golf'.

JB and 90210 are spot on, course management is huge and the more you learn about that the better it is for your game especially when that improves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi folks,
I'm new to the game. I've ben playing about 18 months. That said I play 3 or 4 times a week, I know, it's a hard life. My score is currently circling around 100 but I am improving.
The issue... I joined a Thursday night league for the first time and in my first competition I kicked butt, but, the way I did it has me a bit concerned. I played the par 4s as a par 5 and the par 5s as a par 6. I did this is by not even trying to hit the green on my second shot (or third on par 5s) but hitting a short iron and laying up. It worked, I had my best round ever.
My question... Am I slowing my progress by not hitting my longer clubs and even trying to reach the greens or am I right to just look at the score and let my long irons take care of themselves over time. I want to be a good competitor and the folks I'm playing against my deserve my best game but I want to improve my game as quickly as possible. To do that I should hit my longer clubs and play the game as it was intended.
What do you think?
You were a good competitor, they got your best game and you did improve your game. Note that "game" means score, not swing. The goal is to write the lowest number possible on the scorecard, not to hit the purest shot.

You should be proud that you've learned the basics of course management after only 18 months, something many golfers haven't after playing 18 years! Learning you limitations and playing smart are super important if you want to play your best. The other bit of advice I give new golfers is devote at least 70% of your practice time to putting and your short game, that is where it's easy to knock off 10 shots.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the advice.
It was fun playing well. Generally when I try to hit the green on my 2nd shot I rarely hit it and was chipping anyway... usually from some unspeakable place.

Keep doing what you're doing. Great advice from most forum members. Competitive golf (even league play) is not necessarily the best place to practice - its your opportunity to post your best score. The practice range, or casual rounds with your buddies is the ideal time to try and execute shots that need work.

Well said.

It was fun playing well. Generally when I try to hit the green on my 2nd shot I rarely hit it and was chipping anyway... usually from some unspeakable place.

It's almost impossible to score well when you're hitting from the unspeakable places. Keep up what you're doing!

When I,started playing I had a friend who told me the samething. Bogey golf is a good score and builds confidence as you get better at striking the ball and increase your distance. If you score good that way and have fun playing the game I say don't change and keep work at getting better.

That sentence I've highlighted tells you all you need to know. If you try to get a GIR you're more likely to make a mistake, have to play an extra shot anyway, and probably from a more difficult situations. As many have said before me, use good course management, play shots you're comfortable with, and you'll do well.

Now I just have to convince myself to do the same!!!

I've been playing for little over a year now and I try take take a somewhat similar approach. I don't go for the greens on shots over 175 yards, or if theres a hazard directly in front of it. Only exception is when I have a really good lie and a straight line to the flag, then I might be tempted to get out the 4i.

But generally, I'll rather take the certainty of two wedges and 1 or 2 putts than a hybrid or 3 woods which I only get where I want 1/5 times from the deck.

Back