Ping G30 LS Tec Driver - Review Thread

Another range session with this bad boy last night. Every time out, this club is more fun to hit. The distance is exemplary.

What a crazy long club. Only ended up with a fly z+ because the numbers were close and I got a really good deal. This thing is crazy long though.

Another range session with this bad boy last night. Every time out, this club is more fun to hit. The distance is exemplary.

I fully expect to hit this Sunday morning. Just so you know. I wonder if this club can kick the i25 out of my mind.

My search for a Driver continues so I was in a PGA Tour SS and hit the R15, Alpha and G30 LS. Hit 5 drives each back to back to back. G30 was the winner for me in terms of feel and comfort level. I think the numbers are pretty similar across all 3 but I feel more comfortable sitting over the G30 and feedback on shots top notch.

I keep looking and trying others but at some point I just need to pull the trigger on this baby.

Chopped this down to a shade under 45". Might try to make it out to the range tonight to see how this goes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chopped this down to a shade under 45". Might try to make it out to the range tonight to see how this goes

Very cool, I look forward to seeing your feedback. What length do you play your normal gamer at?

Very cool, I look forward to seeing your feedback. What length do you play your normal gamer at?

Same length, about 44 and 3/4

Definitely to each their own. I am hoping to get some LM numbers here in the next week or so. I have 5 shafts now for the LS including the stock TFC. I like the feel of the TFC a lot, but think it would give me better numbers if my swing were better. I saw that video the other day about changing ball position and set up to help eliminate the negative AoA. Going to try that out and see if I can get back to my old driver swing.

I was watching that video too...only problem I can see is by moving the ball up like that a person might tend to hold on to the angle too long, get his left shoulder out past the ball and not release it until the ball is gone. I play the ball up where the video shows and sometimes battle with the need to release it early and not hang on to it.

I'm trying to get me launch up...my RBZ Tour 9 degree with the Phenom 50X in it launches rought around 9-10 degrees and my spin is just under 2000. My height is still 45 yards. All this is on a launch monitor. Thats the only thing I hate about hitting indoors, my ballflight looks fine outside, not low, no need to work on launch until I see the numbers then it gets in my head.

Earlier this week, I was able to get the G30 LS in the simulator and compared it to my BB Alpha 815. I tested the G30 at the stock 10.5 degrees as well as 9.5 degrees, while the Alpha 815 was at 11 degrees, core up.

On average, I was seeing the following results:

Alpha 815 @ 11 degrees, core up/156.8mph ball speed/13.0 degree launch/3277 rpm spin/254 yd carry
G30 @ 10.5 degrees/158.1mph/13.3 degree/3481 rpm/259 yd
G30 @ 9.5 degrees/159mph/11.1 degree/2931 spin/257 yd

With the G30, I'm seeing an improvement in ball speed, and it definitely launches very well for me relative to it's loft. What's hidden in the averages is that the launch for me at 9.5 degrees had a larger spread than at 10.5 degrees. Spin is quite similar compared to another lower spin offering at a similar loft.

The G30 is playing about 1" longer than the Alpha 815 for me, which could certainly account for the increase in ball speed, but I should note, too, that I am not having trouble finding the center of the club face with the longer shaft. I'll have to try to measure club head speed with my SC100, as I don't really trust the numbers that the simulator gives me for club speed.

We have our league playing tonight on a cool and breezy afternoon. The G30 will be out with me again for more on course testing.

What's the dispersion like CC?
Depends on the day, Dan!

Left to right, the G30 was tighter than the 815 for me in both settings. Shots were tighter and closer to the target line with the G30.

The G30 at 10.5 was getting me the tightest grouping of shots. While I was getting acceptable distance with lower launching shots at the 9.5 setting, it wasn't as consistent.

Next time I get time in the simulator, I'll pay more attention to the dispersion numbers.

I was watching that video too...only problem I can see is by moving the ball up like that a person might tend to hold on to the angle too long, get his left shoulder out past the ball and not release it until the ball is gone. I play the ball up where the video shows and sometimes battle with the need to release it early and not hang on to it.
My thought was about teeing it lower (as has been mentioned in here), moving it up (as was mentioned in the video) and the shallower G30 head all contributing to catching it low - something I've been battling a bit with this club.

Earlier this week, I was able to get the G30 LS in the simulator and compared it to my BB Alpha 815. I tested the G30 at the stock 10.5 degrees as well as 9.5 degrees, while the Alpha 815 was at 11 degrees, core up.

On average, I was seeing the following results:

Alpha 815 @ 11 degrees, core up/156.8mph ball speed/13.0 degree launch/3277 rpm spin/254 yd carry
G30 @ 10.5 degrees/158.1mph/13.3 degree/3481 rpm/259 yd
G30 @ 9.5 degrees/159mph/11.1 degree/2931 spin/257 yd

With the G30, I'm seeing an improvement in ball speed, and it definitely launches very well for me relative to it's loft. What's hidden in the averages is that the launch for me at 9.5 degrees had a larger spread than at 10.5 degrees. Spin is quite similar compared to another lower spin offering at a similar loft.

The G30 is playing about 1" longer than the Alpha 815 for me, which could certainly account for the increase in ball speed, but I should note, too, that I am not having trouble finding the center of the club face with the longer shaft. I'll have to try to measure club head speed with my SC100, as I don't really trust the numbers that the simulator gives me for club speed.

We have our league playing tonight on a cool and breezy afternoon. The G30 will be out with me again for more on course testing.

Good review! Looking forward to range time tonight with my slightly altered shaft and my first round with this thing tomorrow

Depends on the day, Dan!

Left to right, the G30 was tighter than the 815 for me in both settings. Shots were tighter and closer to the target line with the G30.

The G30 at 10.5 was getting me the tightest grouping of shots. While I was getting acceptable distance with lower launching shots at the 9.5 setting, it wasn't as consistent.

Next time I get time in the simulator, I'll pay more attention to the dispersion numbers.

I've had a couple people tell me to enjoy the higher spin off my driver because I find myself more accurate in many situations. It's interesting.

For me, it's a combination of appealing weight, sound, and results. I also prefer a one way miss that I can fight rather than dealing with a two way miss.

I've had a couple people tell me to enjoy the higher spin off my driver because I find myself more accurate in many situations. It's interesting.

For me, it's a combination of appealing weight, sound, and results. I also prefer a one way miss that I can fight rather than dealing with a two way miss.
You mentioned sound again. I didn't mention it this time because I think I've become immune to it at this point. Even indoors, the G30 didn't raise an eyebrow with the sound this time.

Ball drilled down the fairway don't lie.

You mentioned sound again. I didn't mention it this time because I think I've become immune to it at this point. Even indoors, the G30 didn't raise an eyebrow with the sound this time.

Ball drilled down the fairway don't lie.

I think sound is a comfort thing. When you change it's always going to sound different, but I found the G30 LS Tec to sound 'normal' after only a couple rounds.

After all, normal is what you're used to hearing.

I fully expect to hit this Sunday morning. Just so you know. I wonder if this club can kick the i25 out of my mind.

You got it buddy. It may give you GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome).

Night 1 of shaft change in the books and the reaction is mixed. When I hit this well I have never hit a driver on the range where I was consistently hitting this one. I was peppering the maintenance shed and thought I might get kicked out. The shaft cut down did seem to exaggerate the miss right though. It has even more spin even though I stiffened the shaft up a little. I still cannot hit this thing left. I don't have an aggressive move through the ball and this has a bit of an longer toe so I might not be getting the toe through..., only thing I can think of. Cannot wait to get this on the course tomorrow

Night 1 of shaft change in the books and the reaction is mixed. When I hit this well I have never hit a driver on the range where I was consistently hitting this one. I was peppering the maintenance shed and thought I might get kicked out. The shaft cut down did seem to exaggerate the miss right though. It has even more spin even though I stiffened the shaft up a little. I still cannot hit this thing left. I don't have an aggressive move through the ball and this has a bit of an longer toe so I might not be getting the toe through..., only thing I can think of. Cannot wait to get this on the course tomorrow

Did you experiment with choking down before cutting it down?

Did you experiment with choking down before cutting it down?

Yes and the results were much better. Sent a tweet to PING to see what affects would be on shaft and cut down from there. Also added weight back to head. I personally feel this is part of the design to get the spin up on off center hits

Some great feedback guys really looking forward to trying one Sunday here in Aus. Keen to get it in the bag if the feel is right.

Good driving day today with the G30. Other than the drive I drop-kicked (but still hit the sweet spot!) I had great results. 3 driver holes, 3 mid high draws. 2 were into a quartering wind that started down the right side and wanted to draw, but the wind held them up. 254 total and 246 total respectively. 3rd driver hole was dead downwind, got a high draw that went 284 total. The two droves into the wind were just off the fairway, and the downwind drive ended up in a patch of rough between two portions of the hole's fairway.

I'm more and more impressed by the distance and ease with which the distance comes. A nice smooth swing is yielding excellent results!

I got the g30 standard and its great. I think its funny that most tour pros are using the standard and not the LS. Does the LS produce 2 little spin for pros?

Happy day!! Got the go ahead from the wife to play tomorrow morning. She and the kids had all been sick last weekend and much of this week so I wasn't sure I would get to play this weekend. Really looking forward to seeing how the guys in the association react to this thing. I was the longest hitter in the group with my old driver and this is easily much longer than that.

Back