Ping G30 LS Tec Driver - Review Thread

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
In for review is the Ping G30 LS Tec driver. Built for golfers hunting for lower spin with high end MOI. Reading into the driver design, it sounds like I will expect to see reduced spin as compared to experiences with the standard G30 without the cost of forgiveness, which sounds fantastic on paper. They've also made the head a bit unique with a more matte finish on the sole, and it will be interesting to see how that wears over time.

Some other quick early thoughts: I'm excited to keep this at 9 degrees (stock) and see if the 61 gram tour can accommodate my typically higher ball flight. Ping suggests a low-mid flight, and I know the tour shaft performs well through the zone so I am excited to see what will come of the stock setup.

From Ping

The 460cc G30 LS Tec driver is a good fit for anyone seeking low, stable spin with an industry-leading MOI for long, accurate drives. The CG is back and extremely low (slightly forward of the standard G30 driver) to generate approximately 400 rpm less spin while maintaining a high MOI for exceptional flight control and distance on off-center performance.

Turbulators on the crown of the Ti 8-1-1 head reduce aerodynamic drag on the downswing, helping to increase clubhead speed and ball velocity for gaining distance. A thin face made of a cutting-edge T9S titanium alloy maximizes deflection to increase ball velocity and distance with a high MOI while providing a deep, powerful sound. T9S offers a higher strength-to-weight ratio, allowing weight savings to be re-allocated to optimize the CG and increase forgiveness for improved accuracy.

Using Trajectory Tuning+ Technology, the 9° and 10.5° loft can be added or subtracted 1° for fine-tuning trajectory. Settings are Standard, +0.6°, +1°, -0.6°, and -1°. The TFC 419D high-balance-point shaft has a CG closer to the grip end, promoting a simultaneous increase in the clubhead’s energy, momentum and inertia.

The G30 LS Tec (Low-Spin Technology) driver offers a unique combination of low, stable spin with a high MOI for added distance with accuracy and control. Crown turbulators reduce aerodynamic drag to help increase clubhead speed and ball velocity for gaining distance, and lofts are adjustable plus or minus 1 degree. The T9S titanium alloy face is thin to maximize deflection for increasing ball speeds and distance.

Turbulator Technology - Crown turbulators reduce aerodynamic drag on the downswing, leading to increased clubhead speed and ball velocity for greater distance.

imageprocessor

Low, Stable Spin - A CG that is back and extremely low (slightly forward of the standard G30 driver) delivers approximately 400 rpm less spin than the standard G30 driver with industry-leading MOI for maximizing distance, accuracy and control.

imageprocessor

Hotter Face Material - A new high-strength, lightweight T9S titanium face is thinner and hotter to optimize face deflection for faster ball speeds and longer drives.

imageprocessor

Trajectory Tuning+ Technology - Five loft settings allow you to fine-tune trajectory prior to a round for optimizing launch angle to maximize distance. Settings are standard, +0.6°, +1°, -0.6°, and -1°.

imageprocessor

In Hand Photos

20150402_164703-L.jpg

20150402_164601-L.jpg

20150402_164350-L.jpg

20150402_164355-L.jpg

20150402_164713-L.jpg

20150402_164812-L.jpg

20150402_165020-L.jpg

20150402_165221-L.jpg

20150402_165329-L.jpg

20150402_165351-L.jpg

20150402_165406-L.jpg

20150402_165421-L.jpg

20150402_165543-L.jpg

20150402_165603-L.jpg

20150402_165550-L.jpg

Nice pictures, Dan.

The Tour 65 shaft is great. Is that the stock shaft for the LST or were you able to pick it over the other one?

Like about everyone else here I'm hoping I get a golden ticket and can contribute to this thread via testing.

I'm in love with the G30, looking forward to hearing what you think of this version.

Nice pictures, Dan.

The Tour 65 shaft is great. Is that the stock shaft for the LST or were you able to pick it over the other one?

Like about everyone else here I'm hoping I get a golden ticket and can contribute to this thread via testing.

Seems to me there are a few options (and the site photos appear to have the TFC 419D in them) however I did not request anything.

This is how it was provided from Ping. Could relate to the loft.

For the shaft curious:

SHAFTFLEXTORQUEWEIGHTLAUNCH ANGLE
TFC 419DSoft Regular5.9°53gHigh
imageprocessor
Regular5.0°55gMid High
Stiff4.9°59gMid
X-Stiff4.2°63gLow Mid
TOUR 65Regular4.3°57gMid
imageprocessor
Stiff3.4°61gLow Mid
X-Stiff3.2°66gLow
TOUR 80Regular3.3°68gMid
imageprocessor
Stiff2.9°75gLow Mid
X-Stiff2.8°80gLow
TFC 80DLite6.4°48gHigh
imageprocessor
Soft Regular5.5°53gHigh

Dan Dan Dan. Great pictures man. This club has intrigued me from the start as my several swings with the G30 were met with great results, but I could get along with a more compact head. Looking forward to how it treats you and what you think of it, as well as the other forum testers!

I'll be curious on your feedback on the sound. I know the regular G30 was a little clangy, I'm wondering if this is similar or somehow a touch better?

Nice to see a lower spin option in the G series that was my major issue with the orginal G30

Looking forward to your thoughts, Dan.
I'll be curious on your feedback on the sound. I know the regular G30 was a little clangy, I'm wondering if this is similar or somehow a touch better?
Curious on this as well.

This looks like quite the weapon....very very interested in this.

Danny from UST games this and I was surprised that to me the sound was a lot more muted than on the regular G30, at least to my ears. Will be interested to see if Dan agrees

Fantastic looking driver. Heard nothing but good reviews regarding this head and the tour shaft.

I hit this at a Demo Day and really got along with it!

Will be a great following along!

Everyone who I've talked to about it said its pretty surprising how different the sound is.

Everyone who I've talked to about it said its pretty surprising how different the sound is.

Well that makes me a little happier

Great pictures, Dan. I will be interested to hear how the two models differ from each other. I know you had some pretty good success with the G30, I am interested to see how the LS performs in comparison. With even less spin the G30 I expect this to be a bomber for you!

I'm surprised by how many people didn't like the sound of the G30. I didn't mind it at all.

Can't wait to hear the LS tec sound.

I was struggling with spin and launch with my G30, so this was the first driver I hit at a big demo day last month. We took my Tour 65X and hit shots with it in both drivers. It was noticeable off the bat by the way the ball flattened out and didn't drop out of the sky that the LS Tec had dropped the spin. We then took the new D+ in the 70X and did the same... Boom! Perfect. I had the forgiveness of the G30 but with low 2000 spin and ideal launch! This is a great head! For a high spin player like myself, this, with the new D+ shaft, was ideal! If I were to be lucky enough to review this club, I have my D+ 82X already tipped for the G30/LS Tec. Great driver!!!

Last edited:
I'm surprised by how many people didn't like the sound of the G30. I didn't mind it at all.

Dan, it's not like it's a whole different sound to it. Less "tinny" maybe, but it wasn't drastic. It wasn't so noticeable that I said, "Wow! That sounds SO different!" A little more muted...

Dan, it's not like it's a whole different sound to it. Less "tinny" maybe, but it wasn't drastic. It wasn't so noticeable that I said, "Wow! That sounds SO different!" A little more muted...

Its interesting, I've heard its actually pretty dang noticeable.

I'm with you. I didn't think the G30 sounded bad at all. ::shrug::

Not sure if you've hit the G30 Fairway or not, but is the sound similar to that? If so its not a bad sound for me personally.

Not sure if you've hit the G30 Fairway or not, but is the sound similar to that? If so its not a bad sound for me personally.

G30 fairways sound great, the G30 driver....was....boisterous.

I spent some time with the G30 on the range and didn't notice anything offensive about the sound. I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the LS and how it compares to the regular version.

I'm curious if there is any difference in forgiveness.

Back