Long Awaited Review of the Bombtech Grenade Driver

True - how would you feel if any big company did this? Introduced a new product, Made some pretty big claims, yet completely ignored any idea of us verifying them?

You and I both know how that would go down.
Callaway sorta did that with the big Bertha Irons with its 2 clubs longer claims, they actually got in trouble for it. They had to change the marketing on it to "distance where u need it" or something like that

I just hope that those who own the driver have facts and numbers and can understand the science behind the claims and are able to give a proper review. Not just wow on hole 9 I hit my best drive at 280 yards. After all it is titled review in the thread.

I have lost hope in this actually getting in the hands for the THP reviewers.
It is coming I have Cally demo day and Golfsmith coming up where im crunching numbers. Just posted my first impression thoughts thus far.

I don't think you need to be his go between dude. Appreciate it though.To suggest he doesn't have a demo club is silly.
I know. And I agree. Im just passionate about it because I think its a great product, and customer service is mind blowingly good. I fully feel im capable with my up coming stats im gathering that I will provide a great review. BUT my knowledge of golf physics, the swing, etc is no where near the staff writers such as urself. And I would love to read what u guys have to say after testing the club. Thats y I will continue to try to get this club to u guys. And if its not possible, everyone is welcome to come to NJ to hit it!

Callaway sorta did that with the big Bertha Irons with its 2 clubs longer claims, they actually got in trouble for it. They had to change the marketing on it to "distance where u need it" or something like that
Here's the difference.

Callaway sent that set. To me actually. I reviewed them, posted some monitor numbers showing a pretty small distance gain, and I noted in my review that I didn't see the gains noted in that claim. Also talked about the forgiveness benefits.

That's the difference man. They gave us the chance to test that claim.

And it's not just a thing where I think I can review it better than you dude. I don't want you to think that. Like I said, I can give 25+ thprs a chance to hit it on flightscope. No bias at all as shown by our track record. Real people and real data.

And it's not just a thing where I think I can review it better than you dude. I don't want you to think that. Like I said, I can give 25+ thprs a chance to hit it on flightscope. No bias at all as shown by our track record. Real people and real data.
I know u can review it better than me thats just a fact. Its a compliment to how good u guys' reviews are. As for the Big Bertha irons I was addressing the false claims. But yes they sent it in. I just Twitter DM'd with Sully and hes gonna read the thread and address it im hoping. Idk why he wouldn't. From what im seeing with this driver nothing bad to say about it. Some cons but no deal breakers. Pros far outweigh anything I can find bad about it

I really don't doubt that. Legitimately believe it could hang with many others. I seen it and talked about it with many small brands.

The whole situation just seemed very, very odd to me and silence on bombtechs part made that worse imo. Don't say you're going to do something and then ignore it. People start wondering why they are being ignored.

I really don't doubt that. Legitimately believe it could hang with many others. I seen it and talked about it with many small brands.

The whole situation just seemed very, very odd to me and silence on bombtechs part made that worse imo. Don't say you're going to do something and then ignore it. People start wondering why they are being ignored.
I know Sully was confused because he said he sent a 3 wood and didnt have money to keep sending them. Obviously thats not what JB is saying happened so idk. Either snail mail messed up the shipping or something else happened

With everything going on in this thread I do want to say that I hope you enjoy the driver and play good golf with it. I don't think you need to try to make yourself the middle man and connection between Bombtech and THP. He knows how to get in touch with them if he chooses.

I know what it's like to have something that people haven't heard of before when I owned a Krank. 2/10 drives were off the charts good and I lied to myself about how good the club was because the other 8 I was chipping back to the fairway. Obscure and different are fun but being honest and playing something that was just better and in the fairway was more important.

With everything going on in this thread I do want to say that I hope you enjoy the driver and play good golf with it. I don't think you need to try to make yourself the middle man and connection between Bombtech and THP. He knows how to get in touch with them if he chooses.

I know what it's like to have something that people haven't heard of before when I owned a Krank. 2/10 drives were off the charts good and I lied to myself about how good the club was because the other 8 I was chipping back to the fairway. Obscure and different are fun but being honest and playing something that was just better and in the fairway was more important.
I hear ya.

Heres my thoughts on it. I dont think he thinks about us. He is extended over soooo manyy social media platforms and forums that he can't keep up with our thoughts specifically on THP. I twitter DMd him and minutes later received " I have read all comments and will address THP tomorrow". My hopes is that he sends it in and we can see a review on here soon. I dont mind being the middle guy. it bridges a forum that love with a company im am starting to really connect with. Lets see what happens!

LOL again.

He sure didn't have a problem finding us quickly when you were singing his praises amd advertising his wedge pre-sale.

Again, we don't need a middle person. Thanks though.

LOL again.

He sure didn't have a problem finding us quickly when you were singing his praises amd advertising his wedge pre-sale.

Again, we don't need a middle person. Thanks though.
He found us last time because I tweeted him suggesting he get on THP.

He found us last time because I tweeted him suggesting he get on THP.

FWIW, he was well aware of THP close to a year ago when he said he was submitting clubs. He was browsing both the forum and home page based on IP. But I digress. There is just no reason for us to continue to go down this path. If a company wants their clubs handled by THP, they will do so. If they dont, they will do that too.

Probably best to get this back to the driver and let those that have it, continue to review.

Cool.

Great plan. Ignore around a half million unique eyes a month.

FWIW, he was well aware of THP close to a year ago when he said he was submitting clubs. He was browsing both the forum and home page based on IP. But I digress. There is just no reason for us to continue to go down this path. If a company wants their clubs handled by THP, they will do so. If they dont, they will do that too.
Im not saying he found THP because of me. Im saying that after tweeting him he was active on here commenting and such. I just look forward to u guys getting one of these

Skim alert.
The shaft in the first pic looks really familiar but I cant put my finger on why (dont think its something ive gamed). Is that an older shaft thats been out for awhile by chance?

Skim alert.
The shaft in the first pic looks really familiar but I cant put my finger on why (dont think its something ive gamed). Is that an older shaft thats been out for awhile by chance?
Its a matrix radix s. Someone had said its been put a while but idk

Skim alert.

Yes. You guys were some of the first to demo it at the last THP Ultimate Demo Day 2-3 years ago.

Yes. You guys were some of the first to demo it at the last THP Ultimate Demo Day 2-3 years ago.

Thought it looked familiar, thanks!

Guessing its no longer in production? I wonder how they go about sourcing them? Might be the reason these are "sold out" and have a 3-5 week lead time.

Long Awaited Review of the Bombtech Grenade Driver

Ok, I want the last 52 minutes of my life back (slow reader maybe...)

I must say, this offering has discount sporting goods store or "as seen on TV" aisle written all over it.
Some BOLD claims have been made, and nothing to back any claim up.
THP I believe has been incredibly fair in reviews, and very favorable to smaller companies.
I think Sully is protecting himself of what he feels will be found.
Discount sporting goods, Walmart, BigLots, or wherever this offering can be found, I'm sure it's for somebody.

"The Club IS on its way for review", I for one am looking forward to what is found, and I would wager others are too...

Time to stop talking about it and start being about it!
Have a great day everyone!

First of all, I've reviewed (positively reviewed for that matter) many small brand products, including drivers. THP has as a whole for that matter - see Fister, Knuth, Nicklaus, etc. And that's just drivers. I could make a big old list if needed.

I know it's popular to push the concept of us being bias towards big OEMS, but I often think the reverse is true both here and elsewhere. Often we see small-brand bias as well from individuals and reviewers. That doesn't really do much to help the consumer, just like any bias doesn't. Regardless, I think if you look at our body of work you'll see we've been very fair to every small brand that we've worked with, whether it's drivers, putters, irons, balls or accessories.

McRoberts I'm glad you're able to relay some information at least. Any way you can hit up a launch monitor to grab some data at some point?

I'm wondering why we're not reviewing it? Forget the long and boring story about the 3 wood that got lost or whatever, but I feel like there has to be a reason we haven't gotten it. What is it?

There's quite a few questions I have that I'd love to find out the answer to, because there is some interesting technology advertised.

-How does the Dual Cavity Design affect MOI (forgiveness), since it's placing more weight directly behind the center of the club?
-What affect do the aerodynamics really have on squaring the face? Does it square easier than other current drivers? That's easy to see on a decent monitor.
-Why is accuracy better with off-center hits? Is it really better?
-I see another review site saw 5mph more ball speed over some other older drivers. I'm always interested in finding out why things like this happen. Is it shaft length, contact, etc? 5mph is a lot of ball speed, especially with COR limits. I do admit manufacturing tolerances could play a part here, but I'd like to see it for myself.
-What sort of spin/launch profile are we working with here? With two loft options available, is this a big chunk of the bell curve driver? I can't imagine it being on the extreme ends based on the smaller selection.
-Do two shaft options limit performance or can they work for a variety of swings? The Radix S is an older shaft, though that's not neccessarily a bad thing. I am just curious if the product is fine as-is, or is there room for improvement with other shaft options.

Either way, I'd strongly encourage Sully to send his driver in for review. I stand by my track record mentioned above (and that of my writers) and I'd be glad to personally do it. Hell, I could bring it to Minnesota and have 25 THP'rs hit it on FlightScope in three weeks.

I'm wondering why we're not reviewing it? Forget the long and boring story about the 3 wood that got lost or whatever, but I feel like there has to be a reason we haven't gotten it. What is it? 3 Wood getting lost certainly doesn't help the matter.

There's quite a few questions I have that I'd love to find out the answer to, because there is some interesting technology advertised.

-How does the Dual Cavity Design affect MOI (forgiveness), since it's placing more weight directly behind the center of the club?
MOI isn't exceedingly high but the Grenade still has weight on the outside perimeter. It is designed to be very accurate on mis-hits.

-What affect do the aerodynamics really have on squaring the face? Does it square easier than other current drivers? That's easy to see on a decent monitor.
It was not our intent to have the aerodynamics actual help with squaring the face, but it was the only head in our wind tunnel test that actual vibrated and seemed to want to be square due to the airflow pattern that was formed.

-Why is accuracy better with off-center hits? Is it really better?

Depends on who swings it. But its due to the cavity placement.

-I see another review site saw 5mph more ball speed over some other older drivers. I'm always interested in finding out why things like this happen. Is it shaft length, contact, etc? 5mph is a lot of ball speed, especially with COR limits. I do admit manufacturing tolerances could play a part here, but I'd like to see it for myself.

The 2 piece plasma weld construction does allow the Grenade to be very close to the legal CT limit without going over. We use CT timing instead of COR because we can get closer to the legal max. The aerodynamics combined with that tend to create more ball speed.

-What sort of spin/launch profile are we working with here? With two loft options available, is this a big chunk of the bell curve driver? I can't imagine it being on the extreme ends based on the smaller selection.

Shafts options are both mid to high launch and the head is best described as mid launch mid spin.

-Do two shaft options limit performance or can they work for a variety of swings? The Radix S is an older shaft, though that's not neccessarily a bad thing. I am just curious if the product is fine as-is, or is there room for improvement with other shaft option.

The stock shaft is designed to fit most players and the Radix S tested best for this head for the majority of golfers. Heads only are available as well for those that have a certain shaft that they love.

Let me know what other questions you have.

Thought it looked familiar, thanks!

Guessing its no longer in production? I wonder how they go about sourcing them? Might be the reason these are "sold out" and have a 3-5 week lead time.

Sold out of heads right now. More are on the way in 2-3 weeks.

Gotcha.

I wasn't looking for your answers though. I was looking for ours.

With that, I'll just leave it as is. It's pretty clear you haven no interest in this community outside a selling presence. Good luck.

You tried hawkster! It's unfortunate because we have a ton of THPers able to try it in flight scope vs others.. Talk about a good way to test those claims

Back