Changing Golf Balls after every round?

Golf Chick

Golf Fashionista
Reaction score
Handicap
Decreasing
Question the BF wanted me to post:

What are your thoughts about changing golf balls after each round? Because you're hitting the ball so many times during an 18 round of golf, does the ball lose its ability to do what its supposed to do?

I lose mine so often . I dont think I will ever find out.

I always start a new round with the last ball I played. It's become a ritual. If I pull out a new ball on the first hole, the odds increase greatly that I'm going to lose it immediately. And that really puts a big negative feeling to start a round. If I lose the old ball right away, it's not that big of a deal in my mind.

Question the BF wanted me to post:

What are your thoughts about changing golf balls after each round? Because you're hitting the ball so many times during an 18 round of golf, does the ball lose its ability to do what its supposed to do?

I don't change until the ball is significantly damaged, or lost. A few scrapes and scuffs just give it character, and don't seem to affect performance at all. As far as losing anything, no not really. On the 18th hole last Thursday I hit my best and longest drive of the day, with a TaylorMade Penta TP that had been played for more than 36 holes (I had played all of the last 2 rounds with it, and it wasn't new then - not sure how much earlier I first teed it up). That ball is still in my bag and will probably start my next round on Tuesday. I've done the same with Pro V1's and other balls too. Modern balls with the high tech plastics they use don't lose anything just from being batted around the golf course.

The old wound balata balls were not as durable. One swing could put an end to one of them, and after 9 holes they were usually visibly out of round, even if you managed not to put a smile in the cover.

lol, I buy a new dozen every round, it is not uncommon for me to lose 5-10 balls in a round.

I am striking a lot better now than I was, that shouldnt happen next week

I keep playing a ball until I lose it, IF I some how make it through a round with only using the same ball I just throw it in my bag(with like 30 other) and it just stays in there until I pull it out again(but I don't go looking for it).

I start each round with a new ball. When that ball is either lost or damaged, I will then start to use my used balls from prior rounds. Every new round deserves a fresh new ball.

Well, my buddy, changes the ball during the hole itself. Like he'll tee off with a distance ball, change to a softer ball once he goes for his second shot. I mean, it's totally illegal. But I don't want to mention it to him because it doesn't bother me that much. I don't want to ruin his day. If we played in any legit tourneys or anything, I would tell him about it. But most of the time it's just us knocking the ball around.

I'll use the same ball until it is lost or really scuffed up real bad. Most of the time it is lost before scuffed.

+1 my thoughts exactly 4 Putt

I don't change until the ball is significantly damaged, or lost. A few scrapes and scuffs just give it character, and don't seem to affect performance at all. As far as losing anything, no not really. On the 18th hole last Thursday I hit my best and longest drive of the day, with a TaylorMade Penta TP that had been played for more than 36 holes (I had played all of the last 2 rounds with it, and it wasn't new then - not sure how much earlier I first teed it up). That ball is still in my bag and will probably start my next round on Tuesday. I've done the same with Pro V1's and other balls too. Modern balls with the high tech plastics they use don't lose anything just from being batted around the golf course.

The old wound balata balls were not as durable. One swing could put an end to one of them, and after 9 holes they were usually visibly out of round, even if you managed not to put a smile in the cover.

Never had to worry about that. I very rarely get through a round without losing a ball. I probably average 2 or 3 a round. One of the guys in our regular group who is a good golfer plays Pro V's and has used the same ball for more than one round.

Todays golf balls are not going to loose playability do to playing 18-36 holes with it. It used to be with the softer balata balls you would have to change balls every 3-4 holes. If you are playing any of the 2 piece or distance style balls play them til you loose them. I am still in the habit during tournament rounds I don't play a ball longer than 6 holes. Sooner if I hit a few wedge shots because I shave the ball quite a bit with the short irons. Casual rounds I will play as many as I can with 1 ball. I have a ball in the bag now that I have 54 holes on and it will be the first out of the bag on the next round.

I play it them till I lose them. I'm getting better so sometimes have the same ball for 20+ holes. Of course sometimes a ball only lasts1 swing before it goes swimming as well. Lol.

Some of the softer cover balls do shred easily... I'll use them on a water hole or a par 3... I don't need any extra side spin as it is with the driver...

I always start a new round with the last ball I played. It's become a ritual. If I pull out a new ball on the first hole, the odds increase greatly that I'm going to lose it immediately. And that really puts a big negative feeling to start a round. If I lose the old ball right away, it's not that big of a deal in my mind.

I like this thought process. Im going to start doing this too.

I usually play til I lose them unless they are very badly scuffed...and then I'll use them on a water hole (since that's invariably where I wind up).

I usually play them until they find their way into a location where I can't find them. Sometimes if I still have an e7 in good shape and have been playing badly, I'll swap in an old ball just so if it goes in the drink I won't care as much. I lose enough that I haven't managed to get one to last for a full round yet, but I keep hoping the day will come!

Back