Swing Speed Radar

Status
Not open for further replies.

igolfer

Reaction score
Handicap
Scratch
Anyone else working with the S/S Radar? It matched my trackman numbers as to s/s on the money.

Main thing I found out using it, was my so-called 3/4 swing was actually 90% of my normal s/s, so now I'm able to see pretty exact numbers with any club in my bag and my 3W was only 2 or so miles an hour slower than my Dog, which is not 'normal', usually it's 5mph from dog to 3w.

If you strike the ball well, I think this little gem could give a low handicapper some good numbers to KNOW what a knockdown and full swing shot will deliver with any club in bag.

Outside of having your own trackman, I think these little radars are now an important part of tweaking yardages for players.

Does it track ball speed? If not, I don't see the point.

Im with Hawk here. Not sure I understand the want or need for club head speed.

Christo, of My Swing Evolution, used it during his overspeed training.

For other purposes the Swing Caddie SC100 is probably better. They're about to release a new version with configurable club lofts.

71awfnieJ-L._SY450_.jpg

Agreed, I don't care to know my SS as much as I want to know my ball speed.

Im with Hawk here. Not sure I understand the want or need for club head speed.

Doing swing speed drills to jump my s/s as close to what I had at 40 not 55, I didn't play much that last 15 or so years and now at 55 I'm able to be in all the good senior tourney's.

So as a senior golfer s/s is my main need since I compress the ball great at any speed, so I max out any s/s I have.

So right now my needs are to jump a now around 105mph s/s up to at least 110 and maybe back to 115mph, at 31 YO and a 31" waist I was a very long hitter with 125/130 MPH controlled s/s.

At 40 I was down to high teens 11X or so due to just age and loss of flexibility, then I had kids and stopped playing, came back a short time ago at a weak 95mph and within 30 days of playing and yoga I'm back up to 105mph and now all I'm doing is golfer yoga and swing speed training (heavy clubs, flexibility and lots of swings no balls each day).

So start of this season I decided to try to get back to a 31" waist that meant losing 50 pounds, so now I'm 25 pounds lighter and after a month of lots of golfer yoga and some minor swing speed drills I'm back up to 105 s/s range and that is my main focus, since hitting a ball and compressing it isn't a problem, it's just being flexible enough and having the ability to swing as fast as I can and still compress the ball.

A younger golfer shouldn't be seeing huge jumps in s/s since they got to where they are now with a young body, the #1 problem seniors have is flexibility IMO.

Thinner waist, lots of swing speed training and my s/s will jump so I need only c/h speed, I hit the ball square since I played scratch or plus from 20 to almost 40.

You don't lose the ability to compress a ball by hitting it squarely if you stop playing from a high level, you lose the ability to do full shoulder turns and the ability to max out your hips.

So a better player still learning to 'compress' the ball that has already maxed out their s/s wouldn't need a s/s radar, but a beginner can benefit from it since they can see immediately the effect whatever swing thought they have in their mind that day as it relates to increasing s/s.

Just like a senior working on flexibility needs to be able to see how much their c/h speed is jumping by doing core exercises with flexibility exercises.

The #1 thing to make the ball go further is s/s. Period, then how squarely you compress the ball by solid mechanics determines maximum ball speed.

A guy swinging 95mph with maxed out ball compression can easily out drive a guy swinging 110mph who has bad ball speed due to bad mechanics that result in off center hits most of the time.

Also a guy swinging 115mph can benefit from a s/s radar when they start to work with 3/4 swings on all their clubs, since they have real data to give them pretty specific numbers as to what percentage of their normal swing they can hit by hitting 3/4 or 2/3 positions with various clubs.

S/S is the main thing to determine distance with any club, then ball speed which comes from the ability to hit squarely and compress a ball.

S/S is the main thing to determine distance with any club, then ball speed which comes from the ability to hit squarely and compress a ball.

This is just not accurate. Ball speed and launch determine the distance. Swing speed is part of a measure to get ball speed. One can swing slower and hit it further due to proper technique, meaning better ball speed and proper launch.

As someone that does have multiple launch monitors, including the one you are speaking about, swing speed means virtually nothing when other numbers are available.

I think a person is better off with a solid impact, no flip at impact and high smash factor at 95mph than they are at 100 with a poor one, which is why I'll take ball speed all day long. Sadly, I know this from experience.

90mph ss with 1.47 smash = 132 mph ball speed
95mph ss with 1.37 smash = 130 mph ball speed

Christo, of My Swing Evolution, used it during his overspeed training.

For other purposes the Swing Caddie SC100 is probably better. They're about to release a new version with configurable club lofts.

71awfnieJ-L._SY450_.jpg

Hmm, haven't seen that device, if it gives s/s and ball speed, agreed better.

You have a link to the gem?

Not to mention that you'll see better consistency in ball flight, contact, and dispersion with more solid contact.

That's not to say the two are mutually exclusive - you can hit the ball with a fast swing speed and solidly of course. I just would rather look at ball speed and smash factor as indicator of my ability to hit the ball well.

This is just not accurate. Ball speed and launch determine the distance. Swing speed is a measure to get ball speed. One can swing slower and hit it further due to proper technique, meaning better ball speed and proper launch.

As someone that does have multiple launch monitors, including the one you are speaking about, swing speed means virtually nothing when other numbers are available.

You can't shoot scratch on 7000 yard tracks unless you have 100mph s/s with compression (ball speed).

So outside of 'scratch golfers' most people the average golfer needs to work on one thing, SWING SPEED since the 'average' golfer is high 80's to low 90's s/s.

Granted, many here may be advanced golfers with s/s well over 100mph, but the only way a typical golfer is going to get 'good' is lots of work on swing speed.

You know the top instructors working with kids pretty much agree, let them swing out of their socks, since it's way easier to teach a fast swinger how to slow down and how better mechanics than to teach a slow swinger how to jump their s/s.

So if you swing 110mph, you have all the speed you need to play longer courses, and 110mph is 20mph faster than the 'typical' golfer.

I max out my numbers due to one reason, so many years of playing, so I can deliver a square strike and compress a ball.

So right now to me, all I care about is reaching 110mph again since I'm playing in some large senior events this year, and I have a grooved swing that compresses the ball. So shoulder turn and better core strength is my needs and s/s is the only thing I need to improve.

At only 100mph I was getting slightly over 150mph ball speed on trackman.

That's pretty much maxed out, now if there's small devices that deliver ball speed great, but my need is to do one thing, increase a 55 YO body to have more s/s and it's done through weight loss, skinnier version of me and lots of flexibility training.

You can MAX OUT ball speed for one reason, it is limited to 2 factors, the big factor is SWING SPEED, then it's just how squarely you deliver the club face to compress the ball.

So to INCREASE a maxed out ball speed what number do you need? MORE SWING SPEED, and anyone trying to say ball speed trumps s/s is wrong, the way to longer drives is S/S not ball speed, ball speed will max out a s/s due to compression due to good mechanics and tweaked tech (proper ball and good club fitting), but the overall thing that drives distance is SWING SPEED.

Tour pros swing on average 115 mph or so, the longer pros are 118 or 120 and the long pros are 125 range.

All of them hit the ball squarely so their ball speeds are pretty maxed out.

Now jump to long drive guys, 140 and 145mph s/s and when they compress it, the ball speeds are crazy.

You won't find one long drive guy swinging 125mph, so s/s drives distance.

The difference between say Kucher and DJ is what? Not ball speed s/s, Kucher is lucky to break 115 and DJ strolls around all day at 125 s/s not ball speed.

Again, both guys hit the ball squarely and max out their ball speed for their s/s, so once again s/s is the difference not ball speed.

A high level golfer has square hits so their ball speed is pretty much maxed out, so the only thing they need to work on is jumping their s/s.

Good golfers have pure strikes through good mechanics, swing speed comes from good mechanics and many variables, such as DJ is huge arc due to being 6'4", yet tiny Fowler hit the longest drive on 18 at players due to mechanics AND he has the ability to hit 120mph s/s when he wants. Being 26 and having a 30" waist and maximum flexibility is why Fowler can jump from 118 to 123mph s/s at will.

Fowler maxes out both s/s with his ability to compress a ball properly due to good mechanics, so what drives distance? s/s, not ball speed, mechanics drives ball speed and the more s/s you have with good mechanics the more ball speed you have.

You can have the best mechanics in the world, and if you cannot increase your s/s you are plateaued at that s/s, since ball speed maxes out, you have a ton of distance between 110mph and 150mph s/s, and as long as you can deliver a square strike, you have good ball speed.

The main variable to jump yardage is through s/s

I think a person is better off with a solid impact, no flip at impact and high smash factor at 95mph than they are at 100 with a poor one, which is why I'll take ball speed all day long. Sadly, I know this from experience.

90mph ss with 1.47 smash = 132 mph ball speed
95mph ss with 1.37 smash = 130 mph ball speed

This is accurate. 100% accurate. Outside of that, I am going to move along. If someone is convinced enough of something, all of the power to them and I hope it works out, despite being massively flawed.

I have the old version and am eagerly awaiting the new release because of the configurable lofts.

Here are the Amazon and company links.

http://www.amazon.com/Voice-Caddie-...8&qid=1431440841&sr=8-1&keywords=swing+caddie

http://www.voicecaddie.com/en-us/17/SC100

Much gracias, it's too late for me to get this for my US Senior Open Qualifier this year, but I may get it to practice for the September US Senior Amateur

Yes having the ability to have ball speed is great, but after playing so long from 20 to 40, I can tell as soon as I hit a ball if it was compressed or not, but since I occasionally help friends out, having ball speed to show them how badly they compressed a swing is good. Not playing much for 15 years and getting the middle age spread took away lots of my distance, but now that I lost 25 of the 50 pounds I set out to lose this year and I'm playing 4/5 rounds a week and doing some golfer yoga, luckily some of my s/s is coming back.

You can't shoot scratch on 7000 yard tracks unless you have 100mph s/s with compression (ball speed).

So outside of 'scratch golfers' most people the average golfer needs to work on one thing, SWING SPEED since the 'average' golfer is high 80's to low 90's s/s.

I beg to differ on the first part as I have seen the results of a short hitter shooting a sub par round on a long course - I wasn't playing, but the scorecard was marked and checked by playing partners in the event. He was a former work colleague who I have played rounds with and I could hit my 5W further than he hit his driver, yet he could tell you exactly where he was going to put his ball and then put it there. There were par 4's that he couldn't reach in 2 shots, yet 99.9% of the time he would still walk off with a par because his game was so good and he could put the ball where he wanted

I guess I would be classed as an average golfer according to you, but swing speed is not what I would want to work on as I was last measured with a driver at 114mph. I would rather work on being able to strike the ball better to make the most of the swing speed I have as per the post from Hawk

I beg to differ on the first part as I have seen the results of a short hitter shooting a sub par round on a long course - I wasn't playing, but the scorecard was marked and checked by playing partners in the event. He was a former work colleague who I have played rounds with and I could hit my 5W further than he hit his driver, yet he could tell you exactly where he was going to put his ball and then put it there. There were par 4's that he couldn't reach in 2 shots, yet 99.9% of the time he would still walk off with a par because his game was so good and he could put the ball where he wanted

I guess I would be classed as an average golfer according to you, but swing speed is not what I would want to work on as I was last measured with a driver at 114mph. I would rather work on being able to strike the ball better to make the most of the swing speed I have as per the post from Hawk

Scratch is defined by the USGA as the ability to hit a driver 250+ yds and reach a 450yd hole in two shots and that takes a 100mph swing.

Now I can put a short hitter on a hard par 71 7000 to 7200 yard track at sea level in FL and I don't care how great their wedges are, they will not shoot par a high percentage of time when they have 5 or 6 holes that are 450 to 480 yards long and only 3 super long par 5's and all the par 3's are over 200 yards.

If you seriously want to play scratch you need at a MINIMUM 100MPH with a pretty good compression ability (square strike or ball speed) to be scratch and scratch isn't really that good of a golfer.

Mini tour pros are around plus 4 and tour pros are around plus 6 to plus 8.

Example, guy I used to play with hit it around 225 and he was 63 and insisted on playing from senior teens, the short ones behind ladies, so one day we're playing and I'm working on ball position and shoot a high round for me. He starts bragging he beat me from tees that were 5500 yards and rated at 65 and I was playing 7000 yards rated at 74 by one stroke.

So I point out the fact I was playing tees rated 9 shots harder and his 1 shot 'win' was an 8 point loss.

He insists he's a better golfer and he makes the mistake of saying I can play his tees and he beats me, so we play a nassau next round, he refused to jump to at least white tees and play 6200 yards, so I jump to his tees and tear up par shooting mid 60's that day, beat him by a mile, so short hitters who have strong games lose all the time to accurate distance players.

460 yard par 4 into the wind means a 100mph s/s with a 260 yard drive is only 225 yards into the wind. That means you can't reach the green and you may not even reach the fairway when lots of tough courses have 230 and 240 yard distances of forced carries.

A guy swinging 90mph will not shoot par on a tough par 71 with long par 4's and forced carries that often. His tee ball won't hit the fway on many holes and that means h2o or knee high rough on a tough course with forced carries.

Well maybe he should play 6000 yards and be a scratch golfer.

I like ya though. You come in like a storm. Take no prisoners!

did I just read this?

If you seriously want to play scratch you need at a MINIMUM 100MPH with a pretty good compression ability (square strike or ball speed) to be scratch and scratch isn't really that good of a golfer.

he's a 10 capper shooting 75 a few over par from a step away from women's tees with a decent senior drive

so he will never be scratch, he can't hit it 250

he could be a strong low single digit player but his putting stinks

we played a few nassau's and he lost everyone one big, then humbled himself and started asking for strokes, so he got some, then I got bored and cut him my list of guys to play with

when a guy that hits it ok, wants to play 70 yards in front of you all day how can you play a game? he can't fit into a skins game, he won't come back to the right tees for his s/s to play a nassau, so I got tired of playing with him

After he paid out 6 straight nassau's he realized I could give him 5 a side and still whip him

I do question his judgement in that situation. I mean, who the hell does this guy think he is, right? He's messing with a scratch player.

And getting to scratch is dictated by driver distance and swing speed?

Oh boy.....this is going the wrong way quickly....

What is 'things a non-scratch player would say', Alex?

Get a life and work on that swing #cookie.

I do question his judgement in that situation. I mean, who the hell does this guy think he is, right? He's messing with a scratch player.

the 3 of us will never be scratch. I mean I think we knew that already, but it's now confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back