The 2015 Grandaddy - Chance Of A Lifetime

Just got back from the course and I spend the entire round thinking about this event, trying to put myself in pressure situations telling myself I had to make putts to "half" holes or win holes, or to get up and down to win a hole and it really made a difference with my best round in a while (82).

I can't stress enough for potential players to make your practice count, but yourself in "must make" situations on the practice green or in casual rounds with your buddies, you cannot underestimate the nerves and pressure that an event like this will put on your game,there are so many things going on that it's easy to let it consume you. My first Morgan Cup I played great on day 1 and then the pressure got to me and my body gave out on day 2 and it absolutely killed my soul!

So I worked my butt off, played with a purpose, practiced with a purpose and the next year in the Morgan Cup I was able to play much better both days, I went 0-3 that weekend but it wasnt because I didnt play to my potential, it wasn't because of equipment or nerves, it was because I got beat by better golf.

This looks AWESOME!

Just got back from the course and I spend the entire round thinking about this event, trying to put myself in pressure situations telling myself I had to make putts to "half" holes or win holes, or to get up and down to win a hole and it really made a difference with my best round in a while (82).

I can't stress enough for potential players to make your practice count, but yourself in "must make" situations on the practice green or in casual rounds with your buddies, you cannot underestimate the nerves and pressure that an event like this will put on your game,there are so many things going on that it's easy to let it consume you. My first Morgan Cup I played great on day 1 and then the pressure got to me and my body gave out on day 2 and it absolutely killed my soul!

So I worked my butt off, played with a purpose, practiced with a purpose and the next year in the Morgan Cup I was able to play much better both days, I went 0-3 that weekend but it wasnt because I didnt play to my potential, it wasn't because of equipment or nerves, it was because I got beat by better golf.

I was a little bit like this yesterday - got to the 18th tee and I said to the guys I was playing with that I had not had any 3-putts all round although I had left a lot of putts short during the round, and that I had probably just cursed myself for the last. Tee shot went straight down the middle of the fairway leaving myself a wedge to the green which I hit to the middle of the green. After leaving a lot of putts short I didn't want to do that again when I had about a 20ft putt for a birdie - needless to say I knocked it about 5ft past the hole and immediately it was brought up what I had said on the tee....

Seeing the ball go past the hole meant I had a good read on the line back, so I started it just outside the right edge with the right pace and the ball dropped straight into the middle of the cup to ensure I finished with a par :alien2:

I don't get the equipment side of it honestly. It takes about 5-10 swings and you kind of know and we spent hours on range

agree with this, but feel and shaping shot with new clubs is s different issue...

Only time it ever takes me a while to dial in a club is if it's wildly different from what I normally game. This especially relates to weighting as I have struggled going between the lighter shafted XR Pros to another set that has 130 gram shafts in them.

In my opinion, people should select what they are familiar with and I expect them to have a very short break in period.

Getting to know what works is not easy for a lot of people...just cuz they are used to it, does not make it rigt for them....My bro in law is comfortable with his Project X 6.0 shafts, and his swing speed is south of 80...Driver peaks at 100...He needs to go WAY south of that flex, and yet what he is comfy with is COMPLETELY wrong...

Hard to convince some people to give up their ideas...

Getting to know what works is not easy for a lot of people...just cuz they are used to it, does not make it rigt for them....My bro in law is comfortable with his Project X 6.0 shafts, and his swing speed is south of 80...Driver peaks at 100...He needs to go WAY south of that flex, and yet what he is comfy with is COMPLETELY wrong...

Hard to convince some people to give up their ideas...

FWIW, this is not really accurate. Swing speed is not the only determination of club flex during fitting.

If someone is truly uncomfortable playing new clubs and wanting to try the latest and the greatest from Callaway Golf and get fit by some of the best in the world, I will be honest and say that this event is probably not for them. They should look into #TheGauntlet and #TheKing so they can enjoy the great competition with the Zoo Crew and not have to worry about the comfort zone with new clubs.

Perhaps, but this was not pointing in a catalogue. Thpers were fit on a range hitting what they would be ordering for hours and working with some of the best fitters in the world. Not having "any idea" what you hit 155 yards (just making up a number) is crazy talk.

Why not just give credit to the team that put the beating on and spoiled the guys rotten? I don't see how after a professional fitting hitting the clubs and having both ball flight and data at your finger tips one could have no idea.

And I say this not to call out anybody at all, but to point out the flaw in that side of things that comes out every time it's discussed. If someone is not going to have any idea how far their clubs go after a full fitting and testing, this is not going to be the event for them.

there are also a lot of people that have pretty broad ranges on what their "X' club does...as in 20+ yards...it is a different game when you can depend on a club flighting and distances....that takes a ton of practice!!!

FWIW, this is not really accurate. Swing speed is not the only determination of club flex during fitting.

If someone is truly uncomfortable playing new clubs and wanting to try the latest and the greatest from Callaway Golf and get fit by some of the best in the world, I will be honest and say that this event is probably not for them. They should look into #TheGauntlet and #TheKing so they can enjoy the great competition with the Zoo Crew and not have to worry about the comfort zone with new clubs.

How you could be uncomfortable or not trust some of - if not the best equipment in the game when it was just professionally fit to you by some of the best to do it is hard to comprehend for me. That's not pointed at any person or any comment already made...I just don't understand that thought. I'm comfortable with all of my current set, but if a pro at Callaway fits me to X Y or Z clubs to make sure everything works the best it can for me, you can bet the house that I'm going to be more comfortable than I have ever been with equipment before.

I get what you are saying, and I did not type the whole story....he is a caster...and slow swing speed...but he likes the 6.0...he has been fitted, and every time comes in suggesting he needs a Sr. shaft...but e refuses to go there....I have had him blind hit clubs with different shafts...and without question he hits cleaner and more consistently with a Sr. shaft but he will not do it...and that is cool...my point was, not a ton of people, for various reasons, do not know what is best for them....and this is not a golf phenomenon...

my point was, not a ton of people, for various reasons, do not know what is best for them....and this is not a golf phenomenon...

That is the point of having the best in the world fit each golfer. And to quote what I said below that.

This event is about putting together the single greatest weekend a golfer could ever imagine. I think going down the road of whether or not one would or will be comfortable with the equipment that is fitted to them, assembled immediately, driven 3 hours all to put in play at one of the finest courses in the world takes away a bit from what the event is.

Just my opinion, and as mentioned if someone is truly stuck with the comfort thing, THP & Callaway have some other great events that make up the Major Series to make sure that each person can select the perfect experience for them, as individuals.

Pretty sure I'd trust Callaway to fit me to their equipment. I'm pretty sure in every case I'd listen to their recommendations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure I'd trust Callaway to fit me to their equipment. I'm pretty sure in every case I'd listen to their recommendations

I know I would listen, I mean, how many wins have Callaway players had over the years...? But for some people I guess leaving their ego and preconceptions that they know best can be hard

I would guess that, if one has a consistent swing, that hitting clubs fitted to you would take a little time to get used to distance differences, but that results should otherwise be very consistent.
Then to get fitted by guys who fit the top players in the world? I would trust their judgement!

I have traveled to play golf on vacation and used rental. It take little more than a few minutes with each club to dial in about how far they go. Now if these were fitted and had hours? You should have a pretty damn good idea what each club should produce.

I'm with you on that. Based off all the wonderful talk of them here, I'd bet they would know my swing better than I would in 10 seconds of watching me.

A chance at the Grandaddy is far worth taking the risk with new clubs. And its not even close for me.

Here's my take. I'm an amateur, and for a pretty good reason: I can't hit the same shot every time. If I'm 150 yards out, I absolutely know what my 150 yard club is. But I might hit it 145 yards, I might hit it 155 yards. Heck I might hit it 140 yards, or 135 yards. Now if I go from clubs I bought off the shelf, and was never fit for, into clubs that I'd be fit into by someone who does this for a living and for tour pros; how could it be worse? If anything my consistency would improve I'd think. That leaves distance, for most of the bag. I'd think distance and gapping would be relatively similar, and if not you could catch it pretty quick after a few shots with two or three clubs.

Sooooooooooo the #Grandaddy.... That's pretty freaking cool isn't it? :act-up: Coming soon...to a golf course more than likely not near you :p Unless you live in California.... but even then...It's a big state!

Previous participants...... Prior to getting to California to compete.... What is the 1 thing you would have done different to prepare? Do you think it would have changed your personal outcomes?

Sooooooooooo the #Grandaddy.... That's pretty freaking cool isn't it? :act-up: Coming soon...to a golf course more than likely not near you :p Unless you live in California.... but even then...It's a big state!

Previous participants...... Prior to getting to California to compete.... What is the 1 thing you would have done different to prepare? Do you think it would have changed your personal outcomes?

Good question dude. I think mentally I should have prepared more. I wasn't prepared for the what if as it pertained to a bad shot. Part of the reason I struggled was because Finley played out of his mind, but another, even bigger part, was that when I started to struggle I couldn't get back focused on golf. I let a few bad shots turn into a few bad holes, and before I knew it I was down big.

I think there is a ton to be said for playing a lot of meaningful match play during your preparation, even if it is only for a beer or a few bucks

Nothing. Prep is hard in many parts of the county due to timing of the event. I can't think of anything different that would have changed things. I had an absolute blast from start to finish and in the end that is what I care about. Not sure how you prep to go in with an open mind and have no expectations. The only thing to prepare for is to be blown away.

Last edited:

Good question man. I don't think I would have changed anything from a prep perspective. I've never been a practicing type so I didn't do a ton of that - spent more time on the course. I did take some lessons which helped fundamentally. Sure, I would've liked to play better in singles.

Maybe from the captain side I would've done some things different but not from a matchup perspective....I've got much respect for James and what he is doing this year and in hindsight I can see why he is doing things that way. He gets the bigger picture much more than I and doesn't hesitate to speak his mind and call things like he sees them. Takes a special person to do that.

I can definitely see the mental side being tough. Gotta know how to focus on the good when the bad occurs. Otherwise as you said it just builds on top of each other....That Finley...He's known to hit a good shot or two!

Good question dude. I think mentally I should have prepared more. I wasn't prepared for the what if as it pertained to a bad shot. Part of the reason I struggled was because Finley played out of his mind, but another, even bigger part, was that when I started to struggle I couldn't get back focused on golf. I let a few bad shots turn into a few bad holes, and before I knew it I was down big.

I think there is a ton to be said for playing a lot of meaningful match play during your preparation, even if it is only for a beer or a few bucks

between my i20s, CG 588 CBs, z545s i have not seen a huge distance changes between clubs. I have been fit for irons, drivers and wood multiple times and have adjusted quickly (usually one or two range sessions) to the clubs and figured out close to what distances are pretty quickly. it sounds like there was enough time on the range during the fitting and before the round to be able to see how far clubs were going.

even if i wasn't sure what club i hit a certain distance then i would go with what i normally hit that distance and if i came up short or went long then adjust from there. from talking with guys that have gone and following along last year there is a lot going on all at once in the mind, then throw in the competition itself and i would want to eliminate any doubts in the mind and go with what i know distance wise and adjust from

I think captaining a team is certainly a tough thing to do sir! Props for the job. I'm not sure I could do it. I had fun following along and I think everyone was super excited after the Day 1 lead. Do you think playing in some tournaments/events would have helped you come game time?

Jman keeping it all online for all to see will be fun. It'll be a tough task, but I think with his teaching experience and the ability to speak his mind, it'll make for a very transparent/entertaining/hopefully fun experience for everyone!

Good question man. I don't think I would have changed anything from a prep perspective. I've never been a practicing type so I didn't do a ton of that - spent more time on the course. I did take some lessons which helped fundamentally. Sure, I would've liked to play better in singles.

Maybe from the captain side I would've done some things different but not from a matchup perspective....I've got much respect for James and what he is doing this year and in hindsight I can see why he is doing things that way. He gets the bigger picture much more than I and doesn't hesitate to speak his mind and call things like he sees them. Takes a special person to do that.

Back