Do you know how to Score?

Not nearly as well as I should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thoroughly enjoyed this thread. Still not sure I know how to score, but, I got a few ideas on what I might do differently in certain situations. One is, when you have a good look, take the shot, rather than take the conservative route.

Not really. But I do know that being on GIR definitely helps for me. From 150 and in I expect to be putting and on days when I am I usually score well. On days when I'm not accurate and missing greens, my score suffers. There was a time I tried to play to a number instead of just pulling driver all the time, but I really never scored any better. What that tells me is my short game needs work and a lot of it. I've never been a good putter and my wedge play has good days and bad days.

Its the difference between me being a low capper and a 10. Typing this out really makes me wonder why I don't spend more time working on it.

i hit 5/18 greens on Saturday and got up and down for par on 8/13 chances. While i didn't make any birdies it felt good to succeed on getting par that many times. Saturday I shot my PB and by far my best short game round.

7e0ef47c1160f05b2d8210af5649154f.jpg

My 3 wood has score technology! But in all honesty firing at pins and converting birdie putts is something I need to improve at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chipping and putting.........

Play within yourself, don't hit shots you can't hit, play to your strengths, hero golf is not always the best golf for scoring

Scoring has as much to with your state of mind as it does your command at certain distances. If you're just trying to get off the tee and keep the ball in play, that's not a good environment for scoring.

If you're not playing clubs you can get close through out the round then your not going to score. Play the tees that allow you to put that 8 iron or wedge in your hand. This of course is contingent upon these clubs being your best option for scoring. You might hit your long irons better. Either way it's about setting the table off the tee so that your next pull can be close.

Oh yeah, learn how to putt. The goal is to get the ball into the hole as quickly as possible. Do yourself a favor and learn how to putt, read greens and lag.

I'm late to this thread, but it was fun to read through. This comment (and subsequent from many along the same lines) had me questioning, though:

What if statistics tell you that most golfers (all but the very low handicappers) actually score better from closer to the green rather than from a "spot" distance? What if the statistics bear out that golfers will, on the average, score better by hitting it the furthest they can in two shots on a par 5, rather than playing a strategic layup? I ask because that's what the statistics actually do tell us. Most golfers will benefit from "going for it" every time, short of significant hazards preventing going for it.

As I read through the thread, I couldn't help but think there are so many ways to score, and most importantly they depend on your game. For some, being aggressive and looking for birdie chances is the way to score. For others, playing more conservatively is the way to score. If you make six birdies, six pars, and six bogeys, and I make 18 pars, our rounds might look quite different, but we'll push at the end of the day.

Playing to your strengths and mitigating weaknesses is the best way to score in golf, IMO. That's not the same for any two golfers.

This is true. To your point though that there are different ways to do it, pulling out a 3-wood on a second shot on a par-5 so you can get as close to the green as possible may be counterproductive. A 3-wood has a much larger percentage chance of going offline, and going much farther offline if it does. By trying to get to 30 yards instead of 120, a player could find themselves deep in the woods on a tight par 5 wondering how they're going to make double.

One always has to consider the entirety of the hole as well as their own strengths when deciding whether knocking it as close as possible or laying up to a number is the right strategy. And of course the right answer on one hole may be completely wrong on the next.

I have a good buddy that I play with often that has been going through some growing pains the last 2 years as he learns the game. He is a really athletic guy who had a very unathletic swing. As we have played together, I've tried to help him along the way to unleash the power that I knew he had. He started out as a guy who had a really good short game but drove the ball about 230ish and didn't make consistent contact. Through lessons, hard work, and lots of philosophical conversations, he now bombs the ball 320ish with regularity but his scores have remained largely similar. Why? All of the work and effort into more length has let him neglect what was once the best part of his game, his short game.

Then point is that, as others have said, it doesn't always matter how far you hit the ball. Its about getting the ball close to and in the hole. No doubt that is the best way to score

Back