Golf Ball Review - Blind Ball Testing

CRW,
You are killing it brother. Great stuff above.

I'm really liking the feel of this ball off the putter.

I'm really liking the feel of this ball off the putter.

I rolled it a but on my carpet and I think it felt fine but to perfectly honest, I have never really noticed a difference in feel off a putter in terms of a ball. Maybe that will change when I actually get them on a putting green.

I rolled it a but on my carpet and I think it felt fine but to perfectly honest, I have never really noticed a difference in feel off a putter in terms of a ball. Maybe that will change when I actually get them on a putting green.

The Nike RZN White and Callaway SS feel much more soft off the putter face than this ball IMO. It's not that this ball feels hard it's just more "solid" feeling in the stroke.

Frank, my ball flight was no different than what I'd normally expect.

Frank, my ball flight was no different than what I'd normally expect.
Yeah, I think I can attribute those outliers to user error, but figured I would mention it incase others experienced the same.

I'm looking forward to more testing this weekend. It appears I've seen different results than other testers - it will be interesting to see what develops as I build a bigger sample size with the ball.

What ball do you normally play Frank?

I've been playing the prior model PV1 petty exclusively the past few months. Before that it was a mix of stuff - Chrome +, prior 330-S (prior and current), prior 330-RX, e6.

I played this ball yesterday, along with a B330 RX in yellow. Played the other ball so I could get a feel for any differences in distance and spin on approach shots and greenside. I hit my the mystery ball and then the RX for comparison. Most of the time I saw similar shot shapes, though occasionally one or the other was a miss of course, but I just discounted those from being part of any evaluation.

Long story short, I saw comparable distance on tee shots - as in basically indentical on average. One might have been a few yards farther or shorter, but they passed that back and forth from hole to hole. Similar height as well (on shots that had the same shot shape). Worked with a fade most of the day off the tee for whatever reason and it flighted rather high. This was consistent with full iron and hybrid shots as well.

I couldn't discern any notable difference with spin into the green or around the green. I expect and get some release on my full swings and expect a little run these days on greenside shots. The exception being a few floparoos I took (for testing), where the ball stopped within a few inches. Again, both balls were similar here. Considering the RX is urethane and I believe the mystery ball is, that would make sense. I tend to see small differences among balls of this type on the monitor (if any) and to the eyes they are virtually imperceptible.

Full, well-struck iron swings were giving me anywhere from 8-20 feet of rollout. Again, I'm seeing that across the board at the moment, even with urethane balls. I'm a low spin loser :D

Seemed to handle wind decently, except for high fades directly into the wind. Balls were dropping rather quickly there. A little better path and face angle provided a more penetrating flight that ran out, even though I was playing in the rain.

I managed to get out yesterday afternoon for a round and again alternated with this and the Chrome Soft. I wasn't in such a rush this time and I was swinging a little better, so I think I got a better sense of how the ball performs for me.

1. Both balls still feel very similar to me off the putter and I really like both. If I closed my eyes and tried to pick out which ball I was putting with, it would be a complete guess.

2. I take back what I said before about the mystery ball spinning less. I was actually spinning my wedges pretty well yesterday and I'd say that the mystery ball and the CS performed very similarly. On well struck shots, both checked very well and I even spun a few with both balls. On full iron shots, the run out was what I'd expect with both too. Basically, this just confirmed that it's all about contact (for my swing at least). I was perceiving more roll out with the mystery ball last time out, but when I strike the ball well, I think both perform similarly.

3. Distance-wise, the mystery ball is shorter than the CS for me. I obviously didn't have a launch monitor or anything like that, but the course was virtually empty so I did some testing by hitting multiple balls from both the tee and fairway from the same spot. Throwing out obvious misses and only paying attention to well-struck shots, the CS was consistently a little bit longer for me. The difference is not dramatic by any stretch of the imagination, but it is there. Shot shape and trajectory are the same for both balls.

4. The CS seemed to perform a little bit better into the wind. I'll add the caveat that this easily could have been minor differences in strike quality, but the wind seemed to knock the mystery ball out of the air a little bit more than it did the CS for me.

So I've been perplexed by some of the results I've seen on what I perceived to be well struck balls. I gained some knowledge / insight during a lesson today that may explain it. I have an idea for how to test this (and keep it about the ball) Saturday.

Out on the course right now with this ball and I have to say I'm very impressed with the results of the ball when it comes to the approach game. Plenty of check and spin back and the cover is holding up well. I'll sneak in some pictures as we go on

I had a lesson yesterday and don't think this ball has anything to do with some of the higher ball flights I've seen. Video showed that I have my club shaft about even with the ball at impact instead of in front of the ball so I'm starting to flip or scoop.

Well I did it. All 18 holes with one ball. And I gotta say I'm extremely impressed with the durability of this ball. Almost zero signs of wear other than parts of the marker line missing.
7e1855e2df29259b8d7e4f46fd9ddbcc.jpg
09ee65b5fa7099595dde0ebfafa92dbf.jpg

All in all, I'm very impressed. The greens we played on today were extremely fast and well prepared and this ball shined for me. I spun back a couple low iron approaches, long irons held the greens well and off the tee I loved the ball flight. One shot stands out the most for me and it was a flop shot I had to hit from a different tee box over a large mound to a downhill pin with very little green to work with. One hop and it spun back and stopped. No one in the group could believe it.

If this ball is what I think it is, I'm absolutely shocked at the all around performance and would have no problem switching to this ball

Well I did it. All 18 holes with one ball. And I gotta say I'm extremely impressed with the durability of this ball. Almost zero signs of wear other than parts of the marker line missing.
7e1855e2df29259b8d7e4f46fd9ddbcc.jpg
09ee65b5fa7099595dde0ebfafa92dbf.jpg

All in all, I'm very impressed. The greens we played on today were extremely fast and well prepared and this ball shined for me. I spun back a couple low iron approaches, long irons held the greens well and off the tee I loved the ball flight. One shot stands out the most for me and it was a flop shot I had to hit from a different tee box over a large mound to a downhill pin with very little green to work with. One hop and it spun back and stopped. No one in the group could believe it.

If this ball is what I think it is, I'm absolutely shocked at the all around performance and would have no problem switching to this ball

So the edges to the dimpling were still crisp? This was a concern I had with another 'high end' ball I received after about 14 holes you could tell it was really starting to get worn out on the ridges. Sounds like great durability.

Golf Ball Review - Blind Ball Testing

So the edges to the dimpling were still crisp? This was a concern I had with another 'high end' ball I received after about 14 holes you could tell it was really starting to get worn out on the ridges. Sounds like great durability.

Here's one that I've played a lot. It has seen some trees, shrubs and bunkers.
f7157754a779ce543ee6cfa0fda0e119.jpg

And after giving it a wash it is looking pretty darn good again. There is a tiny bit of something on a ridge at the end of the blue line but again, this ball has seen some 'stuff'. This is still gamer quality for me.

714a5a771798a18e37ecaff8afba19c5.jpg

Last edited:
Played 9 with a mystery ball today without losing it. Impressed with the durability. Impressed with the performance on full shots and with woods. Not particularly soft with chips, but seems to spin just fine.

Liking what I'm hearing about this ball. Can't wait to find out what it is. You're all doing a heck of a job so far.

I went back out to the first tee property again with my son and hit the mystery balls along side current model Bridgestone B330-S balls. I don't see much difference between these balls at all. I'm not saying I believe the mystery ball is a B330-S though because I didn't see much difference between all 4 of the B330 series balls. I agree with others that the ball seems plenty durable. Mine have seen roughly the equivalent of 18 holes between intermittent use on the course and 3 trips worth of use on practice grounds.

And here are some pictures just for fun. I didn't laser these but it was 63 yards to the pin and they were a little right and past the pin. One is a mystery ball and one is a B330-S. Both spun back 6+ inches and they were only a few feet apart. They were full swings with my 58* wedge.

F651B4C9-6663-48CA-9459-FCC256B6CF3F_zpsv5p2cnhm.jpg

D6A828D5-13BC-4241-A0F7-7EBC735F0CA0_zpsw132xwhf.jpg

Well I played my first full 18 of the year. I have only played 9 holes prior this year. Had every intention of playing this and my gamer and doing a side by side but ended up just playing this ball. First the score!! 38+41=79. First sub 80 ever and first sub 40 in years. I was -2 through 5.

Now thoughts. I do not like this ball off the driver. Definitely a touch shorter than the project a. I gps'd my 3 long drives of the day, 286,288,298. This is on a course I play regularly and on shots that feel the same on these holes I regularly GPS 300-310. Could be that it is early in the season or less rollout but I just did not like the feel off the driver.

Irons - Totally different here. Really felt like I was compressing the ball and saw no noticeable loss of distance at all. two shots stood out, a full 8 iron from 165 that stuck with about 6 inches of rollout and a towering 180yd 7 iron on a par 3 with basically no rollout. I did feel that I was seeing a much higher trajectory with 6-sw than I normally see. The 7iron was towering.

chipping and putting - still struggling with this ball to get a good feel. I really struggled with distance control on longer putts and made at leas 3 6-10ft comebacks to keep the round going. chips were running out on me.

Overall thoughts - Super conflicted. On the one hand nothing really stood out with this ball and it definitely felt shorter off the tee. On the other hand the result was outstanding. More testing needed!

CRW - if a gun was put to my head I would say it is a b330-s as well. It feels very similar to the ones I put in play for the THP championship in vegas in 13

Great report Jugger.

Back