Tour/Gi/Sgi clubs... What's a high HCP to do - philosophy

Yahash

Reaction score
Handicap
So I am about to under go an exciting time at the kingdom (TMAG performance lab) for a full bag fitting. I aka huge TMAG/Adidas fanboy.. Nuff said on that ?

So here is my real question. I have been of the opinion and play tour level clubs. I don't own any GI or SGI clubs today. I a a high HCP 27.9 and heavily working on my swing with a PGA pro. My theory is that by stepping thru the club levels I will see a great drop in HCP but see an increase each time I step up (to me it's a step backwards each time). I consider knowing my real misses and not having gear hide the impacts valuable in knowing exactly where my game is.

Has anyone pondered this? I am interested in reasonings behind going thru the steps of club levels vs just taking out the tour level clubs and learning to play from that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Let the fitter do his job and you need to trust the numbers go with what produces the best results.

There are a lot of low handicap guys here playing GI and SGI equipment, and there are a lot of mid and high handicaps playing clubs designed for low handicappers. At the end of the day, play with what you're comfortable with, and what makes you happy. We all do this for fun, and that's the most important thing.

I consider knowing my real misses and not having gear hide the impacts valuable in knowing exactly where my game is.
I used to feel similarly. A season with more demanding clubs didn't work out for me. I stayed stagnant at 4 GIRs per round, even with taking lessons and working on my game. On good days the clubs were magical, on normal days I suffered. My game did not improve at all by allegedly getting more feedback. In contrast, my index has dropped by a 3rd since then after moving to i20s, which I guess are GI level clubs.

Let the fitter do his job and you need to trust the numbers go with what produces the best results.

Well said. Drop any ego's and listen & learn. Clubs have never been more forgiving. Forgiveness is your friend. I'm not a super low handicap player, but I'll take today's forgiveness, all I can get.

Play with what allows you to enjoy the game the most. 99.9% of us will never be a tour pro and get paid for playing golf, so play what you want.

If I was going through I full bag fitting, I would go in with absolutely no preconceived notions and let the fitter do his job and walk out with whatever provided the best results regardless of what type of clubs they were. Jordan Speith plays GI irons and makes millions with them, I play with THPers who play decent with blades. That's one good thing about golf right now, there are options for everyone.

There are plenty of irons out there that blend a player-ish look with GI-ish performance.
Its nice when as a consumer you don't even have to choose one side or the other.

Trust the fitter. Play what makes you happy first and foremost.

More forgiving clubs won't hide misses. Or make you unaware they happened. I wouldn't worry about that anyways. I don't think Taylormade has anything in the SGI market anyways.

Well said. Drop any ego's and listen & learn. Clubs have never been more forgiving. Forgiveness is your friend. I'm not a super low handicap player, but I'll take today's forgiveness, all I can get.

I agree about the ego and letting a fitter find the right clubs for me. One of the things I am all for is improved technology... I don't want to play with the clubs that hogan played with ;)

That is also the reason for the post. I want to see what you all think on the subject.

I have had a running theory of "if I can game these, I can game anything". I play more skilled player level clubs today and when I am on its lights out golf... When my swing is not its yikes watch out golf LOL

I agree about the ego and letting a fitter find the right clubs for me. One of the things I am all for is improved technology... I don't want to play with the clubs that hogan played with ;)

That is also the reason for the post. I want to see what you all think on the subject.

I have had a running theory of "if I can game these, I can game anything". I play more skilled player level clubs today and when I am on its lights out golf... When my swing is not its yikes watch out golf LOL

This question is more just me provoking thought.

At a -27.9 index, how often are you really lights out?

I am in the group of let the fitter and the results determine what's best for you. As far as type of clubs go whatever bring Seth emost enjoyment to the game. I personally have chosen to play GI and am working to get better.

Trust the fitter. Play what makes you happy first and foremost.

More forgiving clubs won't hide misses. Or make you unaware they happened. I wouldn't worry about that anyways. I don't think Taylormade has anything in the SGI market anyways.

Aren't the Aeroburners considered SGI? I saw them yesterday at the demo day and they were pretty SGI'ish, and this coming from someone who plays RSi1's although I've had some RSi2 envy here lately.

Aren't the Aeroburners considered SGI? I saw them yesterday at the demo day and they were pretty SGI'ish, and this coming from someone who plays RSi1's although I've had some RSi2 envy here lately.
Tbh. I forgot those existed. Tmag hasn't done much for that handicap range in the past few cycles. The aeroburners slipped my mind.

This. So much This. Not meant to me a #humblebrag but I've been fit by the guys at that place and they are incredible in their ability to fit a shaft and head to a swing.

If you really want to improve go with what they say.

If you really want to play the newest and shiniest tour club, then that's ok as well. It's your decision, pick the choice that will make you the happiest.

Bigger question. If you are working on your swing and altering your swing, should you have a fitting right now? The change in swing will cause for the need to have it redone.

I have a very different thought process in choosing irons. I am assuming that you want the smaller profile to alter ball flight left and right and up and down?

Keep in mind that there are tour pros playing GI irons. It's not like blades are a destination for all good players.

So I am about to under go an exciting time at the kingdom (TMAG performance lab) for a full bag fitting. I aka huge TMAG/Adidas fanboy.. Nuff said on that 

So here is my real question. I have been of the opinion and play tour level clubs. I don't own any GI or SGI clubs today. I a a high HCP 27.9 and heavily working on my swing with a PGA pro. My theory is that by stepping thru the club levels I will see a great drop in HCP but see an increase each time I step up (to me it's a step backwards each time). I consider knowing my real misses and not having gear hide the impacts valuable in knowing exactly where my game is.

Has anyone pondered this? I am interested in reasonings behind going thru the steps of club levels vs just taking out the tour level clubs and learning to play from that.

That's the way it used to be. You had irons and you had woods, basically, and you learned how to hit them or you just didn't play the game. Well, many people gave up the game in disgust trying it that way. I know I did a couple times, but couldn’t stay away. I finally got it and could at least shoot in the nineties or a little under. I’m sure I would have had a much better experience starting out if I’d have had the access to today’s equipment.

Having said that, it’s true that SGI/GI clubs aren’t going to magically make someone a better player, but blades don’t have any magical properties to them either. The ball doesn’t know what it’s being struck by, it just reacts to the blow applied to it.
I wrote all that to say this, there’s nothing stopping a person from improving with any type of club, if they put in the time and effort. I mean you can learn good impact and how to hit the center of the face with any club. I’m just as happy with a well struck shot from my current irons as I ever was with the old stuff.

There are a lot of low handicap guys here playing GI and SGI equipment, and there are a lot of mid and high handicaps playing clubs designed for low handicappers. At the end of the day, play with what you're comfortable with, and what makes you happy. We all do this for fun, and that's the most important thing.

I switched ti GI irons a few months ago after 36 years of players irons and I Certainly wish I would have done it sooner. The added forgiveness of the irons is allowing me to hit more greens in regulation - I'm averaging 14 GIR in my last 6 rounds. Play whatever you enjoy but today there are lots of great GI irons that have a very compact clean look at address.

I went from players forged hand me down that were hard to hit to second hand SGI clubs. I actually got worse at ball striking with the bigger heads. I had a hard Tim turning my hands over and leaving the face wide open. Also the having a monster head to look down at made me swing wilder and harder. Going back to smaller harder to hit clubs has improved my iron play a lot. By having a harder to hit sweet spot I focus more on good contact and not just counting on the big massive heavy head to make it up for me.

You must really struggle with the drivers huh?

So I am about to under go an exciting time at the kingdom (TMAG performance lab) for a full bag fitting. I aka huge TMAG/Adidas fanboy.. Nuff said on that 

This is part of what I like about the SpeedBlades -- they have a reasonably small enough head size to not look SGI, but offer quite good forgiveness. You may like a similar approach and use something that is GI without it looking huge.

Dave

I went from players forged hand me down that were hard to hit to second hand SGI clubs. I actually got worse at ball striking with the bigger heads. I had a hard Tim turning my hands over and leaving the face wide open. Also the having a monster head to look down at made me swing wilder and harder. Going back to smaller harder to hit clubs has improved my iron play a lot. By having a harder to hit sweet spot I focus more on good contact and not just counting on the big massive heavy head to make it up for me.

It's hard to play well if you don't like what you're playing. It sounds like you didn't like the SGI heads from the start.

Dave

Question for many of those that are talking about struggling hitting oversized clubs? How do you play hybrids (assuming you do)?

Question for many of those that are talking about struggling hitting oversized clubs? How do you play hybrids (assuming you do)?
I have really focus on my hands with my driver to get them to roll over. I also do not play hybrids they are easier to get in the air and far but hard for me personally to control where they are going. The a7os Adams I was using was a mixed hybrid/OS clubs. They were just too big and chunky for me personally. I know you do not agree, and have been very vocal about it in the past, present and I'm sure future. But since its your site, all of us mid cappers that prefer smaller iron will just keep staying on the defensive since we do not agree with your thought process. ( which is fine. We accept you think your smarter then us on our personal preference on what WE like)

I have really focus on my hands with my driver to get them to roll over. I also do not play hybrids they are easier to get in the air and far but hard for me personally to control where they are going. The a7os Adams I was using was a mixed hybrid/OS clubs. They were just too big and chunky for me personally. I know you do not agree, and have been very vocal about it in the past, present and I'm sure future. But since its your site, all of us mid cappers that prefer smaller iron will just keep staying on the defensive since we do not agree with your thought process. ( which is fine. We accept you think your smarter then us on our personal preference on what WE like)

Oh my goodness.
Brother nobody is asking anybody to get defensive. This forum is not about that, nor will be about that. Its about conversation to understand different points of you. It was the reason for my question. Nobody said anything about being smarter, or anything else.

I always find it amusing that these posts come up, yet nobody that comes to a THP Event ever shares the same sentiment. We all love the game. We all love the equipment and I am THE FIRST to play people should play whatever they want.

Back