BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

I bought a pork shoulder two pack at SAMs last night. Lots of pulled pork for Monday BBQ!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smoked a 4 lb butt overnight. Came out really well. Going to do some ribs tomorrow afternoon.

A bit off topic for Memorial Day but has anyone here ever done a double-smoked spiral ham? If you haven't done so, you gotta try it.

I'm trying a new recipe for tri-tip. Made a marinade consisting of 2 cups dry red wine, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1.5 tbsp coarse black pepper, 1 tsp honey and 3 cloves garlic to let the meat sit in overnight. It's based on a recipe from a local establishment though they grill it rather than smoke it. Tomorrow I will add a pepper based rub with some worcestershire sauce and put it on the smoker with some cherry wood.

I've never used a marinade before so I'm curious how this will turn out.

Picked up Butt Rub as it was on demo at Costco. Its fantastic on just about anything being smoked.

Picked up Butt Rub as it was on demo at Costco. Its fantastic on just about anything being smoked.

Butt Rub is a staple in my house!
Love the stuff!

Also, Lowes around here has a rub called Sweet Rub O mine, good stuff!

I'm new on here and I will have to take some time to read through this thread. I have a Weber SM 22.5 and have been smoking for about 3 years now. I keep that grill at my gf's house and have a small Traegar pellet grill at me and my son's house. Have smoked ribs, chicken, turkey, prime rib, double smoked spiral ham, tri-tip among other things. If you want a lot of friends, buy a smoker.

I bought a Traeger last month and have falling in love with mine. Have smoked brisket, ribs and cooked hamburgers on it so far. Have many more things planned for it.

6e5cad85a216c28e4b46f843fa88b9c3.jpg
. This has been happening since 7am.

Nice AG. Looking forward to the final pictures.

Here's a 3 hour progress photo. The cooker is the "Pit Barrel Cooker" I posted about a while back. The customer service is phenomenal. I had a temp concern and the VP had me call her yesterday and talked me through the trouble shoot.
41b61b98fb92aeaeaf6406f91ecc5678.jpg

Father's Day is around the corner and have been watching KJ videos all day. Hello Bacon Bomb. Hello stuffed bell peppers. Hello whole wings. Ponder engaged......

also so had too replace my grates on my IR grill and charbroil has changed the design for the better by 100%! The new design gives cast iron performance with IR benefits.

JM

I bought a Traeger last month and have falling in love with mine. Have smoked brisket, ribs and cooked hamburgers on it so far. Have many more things planned for it.

Traegers are nice, don't have to set it up and keeps consistent temperatures. I don't quite get as much smoke into the meat with it as I do my Weber but when talking about someone interested in smoking I go the the pros and cons of all the different types of grills.

18.5 Weber Smokey Mountain here. There is definitely some talent in this thread , nice! BBQ season is here!

18.5 Weber Smokey Mountain here. There is definitely some talent in this thread , nice! BBQ season is here!

I went back and forth between the 18.5 and the 22.5 before buying the 22.5. There have been times when I've needed every inch of the 22.5 but a smaller smoker would mean I buy less charcoal.

And it is always BBQ season in San Diego. :D

I've been debating buying a Traeger or a Bradley. I love smoking large briskets and pork butts, but babysitting my smoker for 12 hours making sure the temp stays stable is nearly impossible for me with my schedule.

What are the pros and cons of the Bradley vs. Traeger?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Don't know anything about the Bradley but I can tell you I smoked a brisket two weeks ago that was the best I have ever cooked on my Traeger. Smoked it for 12 hours and about half way through I looked at my GF and said this is weird, I don't have to babysit the fire. I cooked ribs last week which turned out great. The hamburgers I have cooked on it were also really good and so was the chicken I cooked on it last night.

I've been debating buying a Traeger or a Bradley. I love smoking large briskets and pork butts, but babysitting my smoker for 12 hours making sure the temp stays stable is nearly impossible for me with my schedule.

Don't know the Bradley but I can understand wanting something you don't have to stay up all night babysitting. Here is a great forum that you'll find some great advice:

http://www.smoking-meat.com/

After looking it up it is on the cheaper side when it comes to smokers. Cheaper isn't always the best. I believe Traegers are all built here in the USA if that is important to you.

You might be handcuffed buying nothing but Treager fuel, but i'd still go with Traeger. It's pricey but it's stupid easy and it'll make you look good. I'm thinking about making the jump. Shhh, don't tell my Weber.

You might be handcuffed buying nothing but Treager fuel, but i'd still go with Traeger. It's pricey but it's stupid easy and it'll make you look good. I'm thinking about making the jump. Shhh, don't tell my Weber.

The Bradley digital has the same limitation. You have to use their wood pucks. But it does auto feed them depending on how much smoke you want. It is 100% hands off for the most part.

I miss living at home, got a text from my mom that my dad has been smoking a pork butt since this morning. Surprise visit in order? I might have to.

t a place and they have 6 sauces on every table plus vinegar mixer . Food is solid too

b1a3d26e7f3b8ffdfb66893ead8cb622.jpg

6089316d3685950e6ef7952a7f962a8c.jpg

da78bd8f30c38acee548fb747711a322.jpg

36f36c2720825696cd16d881374fd134.jpg

Was poking around Home Depot yesterday and walked through the grilling section. Saw Potato Nails for the first time. Anyone used these for grilling? How about smoking? I usually just pop potatoes in the microwave as its so easy that way, but wondering if grilling or smoking imparts a different taste to the spud. Thoughts?

That looks delicious JB.

Going to be smoking a brisket today. Just a small 3lbs flat. Will put it on in a few hours and have it ready a little after the US Open starts on tv. I'm traveling tomorrow so both my kids are home today as we celebrate father's day together by eating and watching the open. I'll post some pics later.

Back