Sweeper vs Digger and distance generated.

packerfan

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm curious if there has been any research to show if there is any significant distance between these two types of swings. For example under identical circumstances with the same equipment, would a digger hit a ball further than sweeper. I'm curious because a friend of mine tends to hit his irons further than me. He is a digger and I am more of a sweeper. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing our swing speeds are similar.

I could be wrong here but I feel that it is more of the "Digger" is pinching the ball to full or better compression than the "Sweeper" is doing. That is the reason for the distance if everything else is identical.

I don't think that's why he's hitting it farther. You can compress the ball completely just as well as a sweeper.

I would guess it's one of several other things: swing speed, mechanics, quality of impact etc.

I don't think that's why he's hitting it farther. You can compress the ball completely just as well as a sweeper.

I would guess it's one of several other things: swing speed, mechanics, quality of impact etc.
My bet is dynamic loft. The digger's hands are probably in front of the ball at impact.

The digger will. Part of that dig is the attack angle of the club. This in essence changes the launch trajectory. So a 47* club will end up hitting more like a 43* or more. The face isn't necessarily delofted, but it's more about the attack angle and spin on the ball.

A sweeper will have a hard time generating spin as well. Think of the driver as a sweeper swing... You want and get lower spin... (This isn't a 100% fair comparison, but more of a thought idea to ponder)

Just my 2cents

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The key to maximize distance is to get ideal spin loft. Spin loft is dynamic loft minus attack angle. Both a sweeper and digger can have their hands forward at impact, but the digger clearly has a more negative attack angle. If the dynamic loft is the same, the digger will actually lose distance because of a spin loft that is much higher than ideal.

http://www.andrewricegolf.com/andrew-rice-golf/2013/02/compress-the-golf-ball

The link is a good explanation.

http://markrussopga.com/2013/02/20/my-trackman-journey-spin-loft/

This is another guy who discusses the same thing.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong (and franky well could be LOL) but if the hands are forward in a good impact position there's really no way to be a sweeper. Hands forward in good impact position will always be longer then the hands laying back and "sweeping" the club to help get the ball in the air. This was a big thing for me a couple years ago when I started taking lessons. I was "sweeping" the club and my hands were behind the clubhead at impact. When I got my hands forward I gained about a club's worth of length. I have had some struggles lately sweeping my wedges and i'm about 1/2 - 3/4 club shorter right now then I was last year. That being said, I'm also playing some of my best golf ever, but I don't think those two things are related :p.

Welp, I see that was answered as I was typing...

I could be wrong here but I feel that it is more of the "Digger" is pinching the ball to full or better compression than the "Sweeper" is doing. That is the reason for the distance if everything else is identical.

Despite what the analysts say, there's no such thing as "trapping or pinching the ball against the turf." High-speed photography has proved that 1,000 times over.

However, a sweeper is far more likely to have a flip at impact and a digger is likely to have more forward shaft lean.

A person who takes a divot correctly hits the ball first without obstruction and also naturally Delofts the club, hence the ball will carry farther and stop faster due to spin. Physics. But there are so many other factors which can change ball flight, but under perfect conditions a divot player should hit the ball farther.

I'm curious if there has been any research to show if there is any significant distance between these two types of swings. For example under identical circumstances with the same equipment, would a digger hit a ball further than sweeper. I'm curious because a friend of mine tends to hit his irons further than me. He is a digger and I am more of a sweeper. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing our swing speeds are similar.

There is a lot that goes into the difference, so this is another "It depends" answer. Are you sweeping or scooping? Is your swing still accelerating at impact or have you already reached your max speed and are actually starting to decelerate? Is your "sweep" actually a reverse pivot?

Most good swingers who take a divot are launching the ball while the club is still moving downward, before they hit the ground to start the divot. They are still accelerating through the ball and continuing to a high follow through. They let the club do the job of elevating the ball trajectory, and just letting the ball get in the way of a good swing.

Despite what the analysts say, there's no such thing as "trapping or pinching the ball against the turf." High-speed photography has proved that 1,000 times over.

However, a sweeper is far more likely to have a flip at impact and a digger is likely to have more forward shaft lean.

It does feel that way though, so I can understand the perception.

Sweepers seem to be great long iron and drivers of the ball. Diggers seem to be great wedge and short iron players

just some strengths I noticed

I'll have to watch my AoA when I have my next golf lesson next year. I think the ideal with an iron is around 2-3 degrees forward at impact.

My bet is dynamic loft. The digger's hands are probably in front of the ball at impact.
One player picks the ball off the turf and the other takes ball off the turf then a divot. Hands are still forward in each swing. I can pick or digger, my swing doesn't change nor does my yardage.

One player picks the ball off the turf and the other takes ball off the turf then a divot. Hands are still forward in each swing. I can pick or digger, my swing doesn't change nor does my yardage.
With that being said, should I try to become a digger if I feel more comfortable with a sweeper swing? I seem to hit a bad shot every time I take a divot. Or, I seem to take a divot when I hit a bad shot, lol.

With that being said, should I try to become a digger if I feel more comfortable with a sweeper swing? I seem to hit a bad shot every time I take a divot. Or, I seem to take a divot when I hit a bad shot, lol.
You should play your game and swing your swing. Don't change unless you want to. It's not about keeping h up with your buddy, uts about playing with in yourself.

Some days I sweep with all my clubs, and some days I end up taking a divot. Don't really try to do either. Good contact happens both ways.

I was postulating in the specific case of the OP and why he was shorter as a picker . I know it's possible to pick or dig with forward hands.

I don't know the answer but I know when I'm trying to get an extra 5-10 yards out of a wedge shot my divots are deeper and longer.

So right! Play YOUR game.

Just far too many variables that would be different between you and your pal imo. Firsty, how can you even begin to simply guess (or assume) that your swing speeds are similar? And even then, similar is not the same. Even 5mph can be significant. Then there is sweat spot contact, smash factor, along with other things. Personally I wouldnt worry one bit about what your pal does distance wise vs yourself but with that said I too do find it a somewhat interesting question as well.

I am not a digger per say but I use to be a sweeper and never ever took a divot, now (via swing changes) I do take a divot but not religiously so at all and sometimes its deeper and sometimes shallow or none. That's probably due to my inconsistencies of course but I do think I fall somewhere in between a sweeper and a digger. Not hitting down hard but not sweeping either. But point is I havnt seen any distance differences in my irons vs when I never took a divot. I just feel that if the "stars all line up" within the swing, the ball is going furthest regardless of sweeping or digging. But I could be wrong about that.

Fwiw, I think some people think they sweep simply because no divot. But in reality they may simply just be bottoming out the arc higher up hitting the ball at or so very close to the very bottom of the arc so very little or not divot would result. They also would probably be guilty of more occasional thin shots too.

Back