Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Driver Review Thread

Do you know your launch angle or peak height?

I sure don't JB....there's no where within hours that have launch monitors around here.

Not sure if you are planning on attending a THP Event this year, but if you do, we will have a FlightScope out on the range and I will personally bring a number of shafts that fit this head, since its the same driver I use.

I found a few spots in the fairway (and over a couple of par 4 greens) I've never played from before thanks to the 815 Alpha. This driver is so much fun to tee it up with.

Definitely don't need a higher launch. Seems everything I hit goes high, no matter what I set the loft at. Thanks Chumphries

Then you should definitely check out the Tour Green. It's very low launch/low spin. If you get from Callaway, it's only $100 and easy to resell if you don't like it.

Take a look the Titleist shaft chart. Third row, second column:
titleist_shaft_chart.png

Not sure if you are planning on attending a THP Event this year, but if you do, we will have a FlightScope out on the range and I will personally bring a number of shafts that fit this head, since its the same driver I use.
And this right here is what makes this place so great.

I want to upgrade to the 815 (non DBD version) from my 2014 BB Alpha. I'm currently playing a 10.5 head set at 9.5. For the spin differences, should I also go with the 10.5 in the 815 or go with the 9 degree?

I checked CPO, they don't have a Reg flex at this time. Will keep checking. Thanks for the info.

And Jitzy, I totally agree 100%

I want to upgrade to the 815 (non DBD version) from my 2014 BB Alpha. I'm currently playing a 10.5 head set at 9.5. For the spin differences, should I also go with the 10.5 in the 815 or go with the 9 degree?

I didn't play the original Alpha, but that being said, the 815 has been pretty well documented as being a high launch machine. With the same shaft I would imagine that the lower loft 9 degree would be the better option.

The first hole on my course is a 405 yard straight par 4 with OB about 20 yards left of the fairway and many, many big trees lining both sides of the fairway. I am typically thrilled beyond belief to get a drive to the 150 marker. Shortest shot I ever had into the hole previously was 125 yards. Made very good contact with one today that started out straight down the middle and had a slight draw. I knew I had hit it well and was expecting to be around 130 out from the green about the left side of the fairway. As I get to about that area, I see the ball up several yards further just off the fairway so I keep walking. Past the 100 yard marked....past a sprinkler head marked 92 to the middle...and there is sits about 85 yards to the freakin' pin!

Ok I have not read the whole thread but I am curious if anyone has compared this club to a J815.

My 815 along with the XR combined for 12/14 fairways today. As much as I enjoyed he XR, this driver fits my game & I was consistently 10 yard or so longer than the XR when I hit them on the same hole.

I swapped in the Diamana Blue and I'm enjoying the overall feel with this one. The set up is a 9* |+1|D & It "feels" like I am driving it s touch further with this shaft vs my stock Rogue Silver 60, but won't know for sure until I get back to the range with my SC-100 and have the number to validate. On a windy day the ball went respectable distances and was impressed.

I've chimed in a few times here with some shaft questions and went today to do some more testing. I hit my current 815 with the speeder 665 against the 565 and even though the 565 felt better to me I was a touch longer and more accurate with the 665. Ball flight is a little lower too. I had both set at 9 degrees with the core up and heavy weight in the heel. The guy also threw me a speeder 661 to try and it was very very similar to the 665 in every way. It seems as if I made the right decision with the 665 its just heavier than I'm used too. I also gave the XR a try but I just don't get along with that club for some reason.

I played a quick 18 yesterday and hit 9 of 14 fairways which is really solid for me. Just have to keep working at it and accuracy will come. Distance is on par with my previous big Bertha but I've slowed my tempo down this season which has helped a ton with aiming.

I didn't play the original Alpha, but that being said, the 815 has been pretty well documented as being a high launch machine. With the same shaft I would imagine that the lower loft 9 degree would be the better option.

I had to put a Phemon Nasty Long to get the flight down

Hi guys,

Long time no... write?!

Anyway, I've played a few months with my BBA 815 9 degree Rogue Silver 60 driver and I just love it. Long and most importantly low penetrating ball-flight.

However, as the power-gamer I am, I have an idea that the ball flight can be EVEN lower and more penetrating with the Black Tie shaft 75M4.

I got that idea from the chart shown earlier in this thread which showed that both Rogue and Black tie were low spin, but Black Tie was low launch also, whereas Rogue was Low/Mid.

I see however that the Black tie shaft weighs in at 74g while my current Rogue Silver 60 weighs in at 69g. Should I then expect a significantly shorter distance, with the argument that a higher weight means a slower swing which means a lower ball speed which means a shorter shot? OR, should the lower ball flight/less spin take care of that to compensate?

Looking forward to your thoughts :)

Cheers,
Ace

Hi guys,

Long time no... write?!

Anyway, I've played a few months with my BBA 815 9 degree Rogue Silver 60 driver and I just love it. Long and most importantly low penetrating ball-flight.

However, as the power-gamer I am, I have an idea that the ball flight can be EVEN lower and more penetrating with the Black Tie shaft 75M4.

I got that idea from the chart shown earlier in this thread which showed that both Rogue and Black tie were low spin, but Black Tie was low launch also, whereas Rogue was Low/Mid.

I see however that the Black tie shaft weighs in at 74g while my current Rogue Silver 60 weighs in at 69g. Should I then expect a significantly shorter distance, with the argument that a higher weight means a slower swing which means a lower ball speed which means a shorter shot? OR, should the lower ball flight/less spin take care of that to compensate?

Looking forward to your thoughts :)

Cheers,
Ace

I would imagine that would all depend on how you swing it and if you would actually benefit from lower spin. When it comes to the weight difference 5g is really not that much, works out to about the weight of a fifty øre coin (I had to look that up).

A fine gentleman named captaincaution was kind enough to lend me his 815 for some testing against the og alpha. Will be fun to see the results, I'm hoping to see a significant increase in forgiveness. I'll chime back in

Been doing a little head to head this morning. Hit 815 on front now im going to swap and do og bertha on back. Initial thoughts are damn the 815 feels good! I missed center quite badly my first 2 drives and they still got out significantly further than my old misses, sound is lovely as well. Still need to tinker with the settings a bit as im also using the Kiyoshi gold which is quite different than the 757 speeder i was using in the og and this 815 is 12* where i was using 10.5* before. I love the old alpha when I'm on but lose my confidence when things are bad. There's just something very comforting about the 815 haha. Ill report back with the other 9.
119b885dd30a396cecbbe43343f5817d.jpg

3087d5f5075b5b5fd9f9e8c004d96270.jpg

Didnt really drive the ball well on the back but that actually wasnt too bad because it gave me great insight as to how the two heads would perform when struck out of center. I played the og alpha primarily on the back but the course was open so i had enough time to switch heads and hit a few extras on 2 holes. I do still enjoy last years alpha as the distance i get is great and i do like the looks of the crown but it really is a whole different animal when not swinging well. The feeling is just harsh and it doesnt come close to providing the same distance as the 815 on misses. It'll be interesting to see how they both perform on a great day but as those days can be rare (like today) the 815 gets the nod. It really is a fantastic club, I could already see myself gaming one full time.

I would imagine that would all depend on how you swing it and if you would actually benefit from lower spin. When it comes to the weight difference 5g is really not that much, works out to about the weight of a fifty øre coin (I had to look that up).

Nice one on the fifty øre coin Well done! So I guess there's nothing for me but to try it out.

Does anyone know what lower spin and launch does (in theory) for forgiveness? Both lengthwise and horizontal forgiveness?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taking the 815 back out today as its finally not freezing and rainy. Hoping to drive it better and really see some results

Installed a mid-size grip on my driver and wow what a difference! I am no longer shutting the face and am hitting a nice, high bomb with a baby cut - love this driver!

Installed a mid-size grip on my driver and wow what a difference! I am no longer shutting the face and am hitting a nice, high bomb with a baby cut - love this driver!

I really need to get a midsized grip put on, the stock grip is not my thing.

Had an amazing day with this today! Only missed 2 fw with it and they were just off the fringe. I was seeing better distances with the higher loft and the kiyoshi gold feels great. My launch has been much higher as Ive been working on my aoa as well but man a well struck shot on the 815 feels incredible, i may be in love

Back