Did I Do A Good Deed or Did I Get Scammed?

CAA_Beat

Reaction score
Handicap
I'll try to make this as concise as possible.

Tonight Michelle, her sister, her nephew and I were leaving Cracker Barrel after dinner.

We we were making our way through the crowded isles, when I and this man started down the isle against each other. I stepped aside and told him to come though.

As as he passed me, he said. "thank you, it's nice to be back home and see civility still exists". He was wearing a US Army hat, a tee shirt and shorts.

Making conversation, I asked where he had been. He said "I just got off flight this afternoon from Afghanistsn and can't wait for some good food."

I of course thanked him for his service. He said he's retiring in 9 months. We talked a bit about both Michelle's and my fathers being retired Air Force before passing away. He was very generous in thanking them and us for supporting them while they served.

More small talk, then he proceeds to say he's so pissed right now. He goes into a long story about how his Lt. left tonight for Quantico and has the keys to their van. So they have to take a $200 round trip to Quantico to get the keys or pay a locksmith $125 to come make new keys.

He said they have $110, shows me his money clip in which I also see a Military ID. So you see where this is going. He asked if he could get our address to mail us back $15 if we are able to say him from having to put the $200 on his army credit card and probably get written up for unauthorized travel.

In short I gave him the $15 but not my address. In the car we were all wondering if it was legit after we started going through all the scenarios again.

• Like why was he in a restaurant if he needed every penny (maybe the meal was allowed on the card if he was traveling that day)
  • why did he leave after getting the money. Michelle said he had come in through the door not finished eating on his way out.
  • Anyone can get fake ID's anywhere
  • when he first Said he got home and I asked from where, he said Afghanistsn then said his rank Sgt. Major Don ------
  • is it common to mention your rank to civilians when you first meet a stranger. My dad was a Lt. Col. and I rarely ever heard him say his rank.

Oh well I like to think we did a good thing. If we got scammed. I hope he goes to hell for taking advantage of our true service men and women.

whats everyone think ?

You did something you thought was good dude who cares .

It's 15$ and you did what you thought was right.

Good on you .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it is best to stay positive and hope in this case.

In the future, just know that this almost exact same story is a common air port hustle.

I say go with the idea you did a good thing and were smart enough to not give out your address

Good on you .

Yep JRod. That's exactly what Michelle said we should do. Usually she's the cynic of the two of us. But she told me, you are a very kind person and have a great big heart, that's what I love about you so much.

If thst right there isn't worth $15 I don't know what is.

We have someone who has scammed many of our golfers on one particular hole. Always the same story, needs a tow and needs some cash. I was there one time they did it and told them to get off the golf course or I would call the cops. A couple weeks later, they scammed someone else.

When Jacqui lived in California she was approached at the same bank ATM by someone three separate times (same person each time) with the same sorry excuse.

My opinion is you got scammed. Good on you for doing a charitable thing, but I don't give beggars money.

The fact he left after being in line says a lot.

Good on you .

This. You did what you felt was a good deed. If he scammed you, that's on him. + karma points for you either way.

I think it is best to stay positive and hope in this case.

In the future, just know that this almost exact same story is a common air port hustle.
Well I guess I know now. The real shame is, if I had said I can't help you. I would have felt horrible the rest of the night. I guess that's what makes these hustles so effective, they pry on our instinct to help.

I hate to think I'll really be turning away someone in need in the future. But I'll just have to start saying "sorry I cant help"

now ow may they all not only go to hell but go quickly ��

The risk of not helping a soldier outweighs the risk of being scammed out of $15 IMO.

You did a good thing, and if you got scammed, then I'm a firm believer in karma for all parties.

Look at negative nancy angry mod up there hahahaha!

Who cares, dude. It's dinner and a show for an extra 15 dollars, with the positive twist that you get to leave thinking you did a great thing for one of our service men.

....and if he really was scamming, it sounds to me like a hard earned 15 bucks!!!! Maybe he should get a sales job.

I think JRod nailed it, you did what you thought you needed to do and I would leave it at that.

Pretty lousy scam if he only got $15 out of it, but I"ll admit it does sound like a scam. Props to you just for giving out of the kindness of your heart though.

We have someone who has scammed many of our golfers on one particular hole. Always the same story, needs a tow and needs some cash. I was there one time they did it and told them to get off the golf course or I would call the cops. A couple weeks later, they scammed someone else.

When Jacqui lived in California she was approached at the same bank ATM by someone three separate times (same person each time) with the same sorry excuse.

My opinion is you got scammed. Good on you for doing a charitable thing, but I don't give beggars money.

The fact he left after being in line says a lot.

Well he was never actually in line. He was making his way through the store. But the same point

Yeah I've been approached and turned away people in parking lots looking for bus fare or cab fare to work and all

But the fact he was a returning soldier, it never crossed my mind until well after the fact.
The risk of not helping a soldier outweighs the risk of being scammed out of $15 IMO.

You did a good thing, and if you got scammed, then I'm a firm believer in karma for all parties.

That's what we're going with Pete.

I'd have done the same thing as you, but after reading it and absorbing it for a minute, I'd say that you got scammed too.

I can spare $15 and I'm with Pete..karma will get the bad ones.

Well I guess I know now. The real shame is, if I had said I can't help you. I would have felt horrible the rest of the night. I guess that's what makes these hustles so effective, they pry on our instinct to help.

I hate to think I'll really be turning away someone in need in the future. But I'll just have to start saying "sorry I cant help"

now ow may they all not only go to hell but go quickly ��

In the end, its about you more than them anyways. Do what you feel is the right thing to do. Wisdom is always key.

I never give anyone cash (helps that I don't carry any). If someone is hungry, i will buy them food etc. Just what i have learned from being around the inner city and a lot of hustles in the past.

Good on you for being kind and generous!!!

You did a good thing. Your heart was in the right place and at the end of the day that's all that matters

Rob, you're a good dude, good on you man! Don't worry about it, your heart was I. The right place my friend and you helped someone out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You did a good deed dude, that's all that matters. It's possible he turned around and left because he wanted to make sure he would be able to get those keys made tonight.

Rob go with your heart buddy. If your operating from there then you're one step ahead of many.

Pretty lousy scam if he only got $15 out of it, but I"ll admit it does sound like a scam. Props to you just for giving out of the kindness of your heart though.

If u think about it as a scam perspective it's a good number. Its not too high were people won't have it and it's not insignificant either. If he's scamming it's likely for drugs. And 15 is enough for a fix for a person who isn't a frequent OD'er.

I'd like what some are saying, regardless if it's a scam or not u did a nice thing. Don't second guess it for one moment

If u think about it as a scam perspective it's a good number. Its not too high were people won't have it and it's not insignificant either. If he's scamming it's likely for drugs. And 15 is enough for a fix for a person who isn't a frequent OD'er.

I'd like what some are saying, regardless if it's a scam or not u did a nice thing. Don't second guess it for one moment

true, as a drug scam that would be a pretty standard amount. pull that one once a day and you can get some decent sized extra cash pretty easily

Rob you are a genuine guy and you probably made this guys night whether his story is true or not. Big "thank you" to you for looking out for our military men and women. My brother and sister in law are retired military. I appreciate the thought and gesture behind what you did.

Tell you what Rob, I'll buy you a Pepsi cola next weekend and you'll only be scammed 10 dollars hahahaha
Dan. Playing a round with you next week, is the perfect recipe to not worry one minute about this. It will remind me how many truly good people there still are in the world.

I am am so looking forward to the round, but more so getting to to enjoy it with you.

You're a legit soul Rob and that's all you need to be concerned with. You will be wondering where all those birdies came from next time you're on the course

Back