The Jordan Spieth Thread

Looks interlock to me. This was a April 2015 article pic:

EDIT: Sorry, just saw that's a 2011 reprint article, the Titleist hat was throwing me off on the 2015 part. Guess it was interlock in 2011?!

at-top-old-new_tx600.jpg
I've never seen an index finger stick out the way his does. It's crazy looking

I just JS grip, does he have a reverse overlap with the index finger of the left hand or just a long Index finger in an interlock grip?

Looks like the answer is both. Found this:

How He Hit That: Jordan Spieth's Unconventional Grip Takes Hold of the Masters

There's nothing remotely cookie-cutter about Jordan Spieth's swing, but his performance through three rounds has been right out of the Putting a Tournament Away textbook.

Spieth's grip is one of the more interesting ones on tour--a derivative of the standard overlapping grip 98 percent of PGA Tour players use and the interlock used by Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods.

Instead of resting the little finger of his right hand on top of his left index finger or linking his pinkie and index fingers, Spieth lets that left index finger ride on top of the right hand and slightly interlock with his right pinkie. With that finger position--and an overall weak grip in general--Spieth doesn't have any trouble hitting draws or fades on command.

"He's making the case for the one millionth time that there's no one 'right' way to swing the club," says top Pennsylvania teacher John Dunigan, who works with Sean O'Hair. "You need to hold the club in a way that gives you a sense for the club face and gives you repeatability. Jordan's grip does that."

By overlapping his left index finger, Spieth probably gets even more feel in his right hand. "You can think of it like a tennis racket," says Dunigan, who is the director of coaching at White Manor Country Club in Malvern, outside Philadelphia. "You have a great feel for what the face of the racket is doing because the handle is in your palm. The reverse overlap gives him that extra feel and control in his right palm."

A great way to increase your sense of clubface control is to practice with a split grip. Take your normal grip, then slide your right hand down so that it's completely separate from your left. "Start by hitting shots with that right hand perpendicular to the target line--so the palm is facing the target," says Dunigan. "Then experiment by adjusting your palm a little to the right and a little to the left. You're learning the secret of golf--which is the ability to say to yourself, I predict that when I do this, the ball will go there."

https://www.facebook.com/GolfDigest/posts/10153302409378729

JordanGrip_zpsmrxlu4tr.jpg

-5 thru 11 today at the memorial getting to 4th. Great to see his impressive play continue this year.

-5 thru 11 today at the memorial getting to 4th. Great to see his impressive play continue this year.
That boys got game

He might have a future in golf. That was a great shot.

Solid round for Spieth. Needs some help, but posted a number for the leaders to be aware of

Solid round for Spieth. Needs some help, but posted a number for the leaders to be aware of
Man, I like what he is doing this year. He always seems to be there at the end.

The kid is a flat out gamer. Love seeing this.

Looks like he is finally comfortable being on tour and has his game in a good spot. Definitely a favorite come U.S. open

What was the stat I saw earlier, he's -151 for all his rounds on the PGA tour this year which leads everyone. That's laughable.

I love watching this kid play, seeing him pat his caddie on the back on 18 was pretty cool.

I saw that too. That's insane.

Hard not to like this cool cat. He plays golf like he just got out of class and ran to the golf course in order to get in as many holes as he could before dusk. Was interesting to hear Jack Nicklaus talk about his game coming up the 18th. How simple his game is and how great his putting is. Still don't know how he looks at the hole on short putts.

Hard not to like this cool cat. He plays golf like he just got out of class and ran to the golf course in order to get in as many holes as he could before dusk. Was interesting to hear Jack Nicklaus talk about his game coming up the 18th. How simple his game is and how great his putting is. Still don't know how he looks at the hole on short putts.

Definitely an awesome guy. And most top 5 finishes out of anyone before 22. That's impressive.

I tried that putt thing once...once. Didn't work out haha

I really like this kid. Gracious, humble exterior, but a gamer's killer instinct. Just seems to love the competition.

I really like this kid. Gracious, humble exterior, but a gamer's killer instinct. Just seems to love the competition.
He really seems to thrive on it.

Some interesting answers!

amazing that his miss on that putt was in the exact same spot each time but 1. Crazy.

this may have been mentioned in this thread already, but hard not to like js at chambers bay, since i guess his caddie was a caddie there on the weekends while he was a teacher during the week before js put him on the bag full-time. i think i've mentioned this before, but my best friend had the opportunity to spend a few days with js earlier this year, and said what you see on tv is exactly who he is when the cameras are off. just an all-around solid individual.

this may have been mentioned in this thread already, but hard not to like js at chambers bay, since i guess his caddie was a caddie there on the weekends while he was a teacher during the week before js put him on the bag full-time. i think i've mentioned this before, but my best friend had the opportunity to spend a few days with js earlier this year, and said what you see on tv is exactly who he is when the cameras are off. just an all-around solid individual.
and he's from Texas, don't leave that part out. :D

Good article

From the article above:

“When Tiger was Tiger at his peak, golfers were cool at school. Golfers were like the high school quarterback,” said Mr. Delzell of the Marketing Arm.

I was in my Senior year in High School and first two years of college during that said time...I don't know if I had the feeling like I was in the same level as the "quarterback" in terms of coolness, but it says ALOT when we (at that time) had more people trying out for the men's golf team, than for the men's track team....and I was already a returning Varsity Letterman and starter.

I have to agree that JS does have the chance to make golf cool again, and he's defiantly a person I'd like to see continue to be in the lead on Sunday's. For him to be the face of golf for the foreseeable future, would be 100% fine with me.

Good article

From the article above:

“When Tiger was Tiger at his peak, golfers were cool at school. Golfers were like the high school quarterback,” said Mr. Delzell of the Marketing Arm.

I was in my Senior year in High School and first two years of college during that said time...I don't know if I had the feeling like I was in the same level as the "quarterback" in terms of coolness, but it says ALOT when we (at that time) had more people trying out for the men's golf team, than for the men's track team....and I was already a returning Varsity Letterman and starter.

I have to agree that JS does have the chance to make golf cool again, and he's defiantly a person I'd like to see continue to be in the lead on Sunday's. For him to be the face of golf for the foreseeable future, would be 100% fine with me.

I cant think of anyone who would carry the torch better.

Good article

From the article above:

Ouch...ripping track guys...lol

I agree fully that he has the ability to drive the growth of the sport again

Ouch...ripping track guys...lol

I agree fully that he has the ability to drive the growth of the sport again

Who REALLY wants to run.....for fun? lol Not me!

Back