The Jordan Spieth Thread

It was said today that Jordan could draw more than Tiger on Madison Ave. They are calling him the face of the tour on some stations.

Now that's a great cover.

It was said today that Jordan could draw more than Tiger on Madison Ave. They are calling him the face of the tour on some stations.

I'm a fan, but that's getting a bit too far ahead of ourselves.

Luke was # 1 in the world for 56 weeks, which is longer than Price, Woosnam, Vijay, and almost as long as Seve and almost twice as long as Scott and Westwood, combined. He was PGA player of the year and won both the US and Euro money titles the same season. To me, he was on another level than Scott or Westwood. His success was attributable to more than getting hot with the putter; his game was top ranked in all areas, except for driving distance, showing just how competitive you can be if you have an excellent all around game yet lag in driving distance.

What I think this means for Spieth, whose mental game is superior to Luke and has more distance yet still not top ranked distance, is that a higher overall game does very well against pure distance and is more than enough for a prolific career.

I think Morning Drive was discussing that when you look at players like Spieth and Ko, who excel in many areas without distance standing out, and how successful they've been, there could be a shift in golf instruction, but I have no idea about that.

To me though, Luke is one of if not the best modern day examples of a successful competitive career without being long. His game has since deflated in all categories, except sand saves. He is shorter, less accurate and a worse putter now, again showing that his lack of success isn't just one category.

And that's what I'm excited about a budding Spieth/Rory rivalry. Rory has a brilliant tee game and ball striking while Spieth is a superb course manager, executing whatever he needs to. Two different styles for sure, and both a lot of fun to watch.
Wow he was #1 that long, I had no idea. I thought he, Westwood and Scott lasted a year combined. Yiu make a good case that I can't argue with.

I will say that I think the morning drive crew needs to get off his lack of Bubba length. He is far from short, I'd call him middle of the pack with some left in the tank. I also think he will get a few yards longer in the next couple of years.

According to trackman he gained about 3mph clubhead speed this year. I can see him getting longer and it will be scary if he does

Jordan is the best thing for American golf in a long time. My interest in following golf is certainly up and even people who could care less about golf like my 15 year old daughter and our 23 year old nanny were asking me questions about Spieth and golf in general these past few days. I hope he gets a couple more wins this year and contends at a couple of the Majors in 2015. If Phil and Tiger could also continue to build on their Master's week, we could see the best year for the PGA Tour in quite some time.

As far as Jordan's length, he should certainly get longer over the next couple years. He's wise a decade or more beyond his years and we have only seen a dozen or so ever at age 21 who could putt like him.

Smart indeed! It's funny going back and reading some of the comments on this thread. The 19 year old has a win, another 5 top 10's and he' pocketed over 2 mil. Bet he's glad he missed out on art appreciation and college algebra this year.

that's cool this thread has existed from the beginning and been updated throughout. Some great history here.

I think I noticed that he doesn't use a line on his golf ball...anyone else see that?

Noticed it. Dont blame him, seeing as how he stares the hole down more often than not when h e putts. Seems to work for him.

I think I noticed that he doesn't use a line on his golf ball...anyone else see that?
His putting defies convention in a lot of ways. Left hand low, rarely takes a practice stroke, looks at the hole instead of the ball. None of them are bad, obviously they work for him, but taken together it's pretty interesting.

His putting defies convention in a lot of ways. Left hand low, rarely takes a practice stroke, looks at the hole instead of the ball. None of them are bad, obviously they work for him, but taken together it's pretty interesting.

I think he only looks at the hole on shorter putts, right?

Yep, usually 5 feet and in I believe, something like that.

Even if that's the case, those are the putts where I'm taught it's most important not to look at the hole, instead to trust the break and hear rather than see the ball go in the hole.

His looking at the hole is taught by famed physiologist Gallway. I read his book in the mid 90s and he makes some great points it really does free you the stroke. I like to use it when practicing long putts.

Jordan taking it to Harbour Town today. -8 through 17. Gone from +3 yesterday to -5 overall. Love it!

Sent from my LG G3

I feel like if I didn't look at the ball while putting I'd miss it every time.

I agree, he is very good for the game. I was at the public range the other day and there were about 5 teens there who were hitting bucket after bucket of balls. I overheard one of them saying this was his first time to hit a golf ball. They spoke of Jordan a lot. He is bringing more youth into the game and that is always a good thing!

And man, can that guy putt!

Looks like Jordan didn't lose his sense of humor!

Another great thing about Jordan doing what he's doing is the bump in excitement the Byron Nelson and Colonial will get from his rise. The Byron has been struggling to find someone to take the banner and run with it since Lord Byron's death. They gave him exemptions to play while in high school and college. I don't think he'll forgot that. He is exactly what these 2 tournaments are needing and it will be great for the area.

People around here are very excited that he says he'll keep coming back to the JDC since he got his first win here. I expect there to be a lot of interest in this year's tourney.

I wonder how long this will last, I hope he leaves it on his schedule and keeps going. But I would l not blame him for allowing it to drop off.
People around here are very excited that he says he'll keep coming back to the JDC since he got his first win here. I expect there to be a lot of interest in this year's tourney.

Yea who knows. The direct flight to the British is a big perk for some of those guys.

I just JS grip, does he have a reverse overlap with the index finger of the left hand or just a long Index finger in an interlock grip?

I just JS grip, does he have a reverse overlap with the index finger of the left hand or just a long Index finger in an interlock grip?

Looks interlock to me. This was a April 2015 article pic:

EDIT: Sorry, just saw that's a 2011 reprint article, the Titleist hat was throwing me off on the 2015 part. Guess it was interlock in 2011?!

at-top-old-new_tx600.jpg

Back