Went to dinner and observed fanatic golf fans at a sports bar.. WTF?

Mystery Meat

Ben Hogan Fan
Reaction score
Handicap
Bad Gas
I'm a fan of golf on and off the course and televised. Was having a nice quiet dinner at a sports bar/restaurant and observed a odd scene. There was a group of 3 young 20 ish men all decked up in golf gear cheering and heckling during the PGA memorial telecast. Was kinda weird being a sports bar that primarily shows football and the major sports. Every one was kinda just watching them and kinda perplexed by this. I'm positive they had the bartender turn on golf as it is never shown in this establishment. For me , I tell people i like to golf but I leave it at that. For one i would not be wearing my golf attire to a sports bar which is 45 mins from the nearest course. And no one was playing due to major storms that started last night. I'm glad they had a great time but for me I enjoy to cheer for golf on the television at home only. Been to a few tour events and did a golf clap here or there but never jumped up and down cheering like I do for other sporting events

anyone else do this at a sports bar atmosphere?
Did you feel out of place ?
Would I do well to wear a Rickey Fowler outfit out one night to the club?

this was all meant in good faith and not mocking anyone. Just kinda caught off guard watching this

I've jumped and cheered watching may golf events. Never at a bar or the event. But it doesn't surprise me that some guys were having a good time in a bar.

Well, fan is short for fanatic. I wouldn't expect to have a "nice, quiet" dinner at a sports bar. At least they were enthusiastic about golf, I suppose.

When I was in Ireland the locals (outside of Dublin) would watch golf at the pub and vocally cheer during the telecast. A little unusual, but didn't seem like a big deal.

Maybe just a cultural thing.

You see guys wearing NFL team jerseys for football games in sports bars all the time. Most likely they didn't come from playing either :)

I don't see anything wrong with it. It is a sports bar, so noise should be expected I would think.

Golf on a TV at a sports bar and people cheering. Some people are just strange.

That seems normal for a sports bar to me, I've been with thpers watching getting pretty excited. Sports are supposed to be fun to watch, why else would you watch.

I find it a little strange, but I also hate watching golf.

You went to a sports bar for a "nice quiet dinner? You then observed sports fans cheering for a sport, at a sports bar? Lol you act like you went on an African safari. I don't get it

Caught us off guard as this is a huge football/nascar/hockey bar~restaurant. And the rest of patrons were like wtf ; with the look on their faces. Again, not judging , just not the local or atmosphere for it. It is culturally more acceptable to wear a football or baseball jersey / nascar versus dressing like Rickey Fowler at my age . Again not ruffling feathers, just what I witnessed

edit /: maybe not a nascsr jersey for me .:(

Caught us off guard as this is a huge football/nascar/hockey bar~restaurant. And the rest of patrons were like wtf ; with the look on their faces. Again, not judging , just not the local or atmosphere for it. It is culturally more acceptable to wear a football or baseball jersey / nascar versus dressing like Rickey Fowler at my age . Again not ruffling feathers, just what I witnessed

Was Nascar /football or hockey on?

And they weren't your age. So what is culturally acceptable for your age is not that relevant.

edit /: maybe not a nascsr jersey for me .:(
You said they were in their 20s, arent you over 40? How do their outfits on you become relevant lol

Seems pretty normal to me, at least where I'm from anyways.

I dunno about a "quiet dinner" at a sports bar...

Ethey're big fans which isn't surprising, maybe they yell "mashed potatoes" too? Also maybe they had money on it to make it more interesting.

As for golf gear, the new stuff they have out here now is extremely comfortable and made for both on and off course enjoyment as well as being fashionable.

Bottom line, I have no issue whatsover

Unfortunately I don't remember all my 20'ish years ... but I am sure I would have done (or did) something very similar ...

Now that I am older, you find me at the Old Town Buffet. :drinks:

I've done this for the Masters

They would probably call you weird posting videos on the interwebs of you hitting golf balls in mud boots on a farm with a club that's been obsolete for 30 years.

Who cares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back