Strangest Hole Out Ever?

darnall

Reaction score
Handicap
Had not seen that one, thanks for sharing. He deserved the HIO.

Saw this on Facebook earlier today. Crazy!

But is the ball in the hole? With their ruling you could consider the ball "holed" if you could hit it high enough and the turf soft enough so the ball buries itself in the green.

But I would have given him the ace because I like a free drink after the round as much as the next guy.

They had a ruling on it and because the entire ball was considered under the playing surface, it was deemed holed out.

He deserves the ace imo. Id count it haha

But is the ball in the hole? With their ruling you could consider the ball "holed" if you could hit it high enough and the turf soft enough so the ball buries itself in the green.

But I would have given him the ace because I like a free drink after the round as much as the next guy.

To me, the ball does not appear to be below the lip of the hole. You'd have to get down to ground level to check, but if so, the ball is not holed.

However, the story indicates it was, so maybe it's just a viewing angle thing.

But yeah, in a casual round, that's a hole-in-one every time.

Doesn't he get to remove the ball fix the hole it made and then place the ball back which is putting it in hole?

I have had 2 somewhat similar things happen...neither for a potential ace however...

I made a huge pitchmark on the lip of the hole from about 100 out once...a big chunk of turf/sand fell into the hole and the ball deflected away from it.

Another time on a windy day I had a pitch from about 10 yards off the green that started to go in the hole, then became trapped/wedged by the flagstick that was bending from the wind.... equator of the ball was below the lip..ball was probably about 2 thirds in the cylinder... flagstick was bent over and wedged so hard that it couldn't come out until I stood it up straighter, which let the ball fall on in. The guy working the desk that day told me that counts as a hole out but I never did research to find out if he was right....didn't want to know otherwise...haha

Doesn't he get to remove the ball fix the hole it made and then place the ball back which is putting it in hole?

Here's the perfect example of why writing rules is not as simple as people think and why there are so many decisions to deal with all the crazy situations which come up.

The hole liner is a movable obstruction. According to 24-1b, the player would be able to remove the obstruction and place the ball on the spot underneath where it lay, no closer to the hole.

However, the ball will not come to rest at that spot. Is where it will come to rest (at the bottom of the hole), closer to the hole? If it is, the ball would have to placed on the lip.

It all centers around whether the ball is in the hole or not. If it is holed, then nothing else matters.

If it is not holed, I believe the USGA would rule that since it cannot be placed in its original position and would move closer to the hole when it fell in, it would have to be placed at the nearest spot no closer where it would come to rest - i.e. on the lip.

So does he have to buy everyone drinks plus replace the cup? Or are they letting that slide? Haha

If Split Rock golf course had those white rings like that I would have a hole in one now. I did that and it just took a chunk out and bounced out, if the ring was there it would of held it.

They had a ruling on it and because the entire ball was considered under the playing surface, it was deemed holed out.

From that angle, it sure doesn't look like it is all under. Looks like a lot of it is above.

Should have taken a green level photo!

From that angle, it sure doesn't look like it is all under. Looks like a lot of it is above.

Should have taken a green level photo!

Would have helped. Then again, the last thing I would want to see if I posted that up were people saying how it's not etc. Hush and let me enjoy my moment haha

My previous response was a bit T.I.C. I suppose I could have complained that he left his shot short. :D

Back